Interesting article on 9mm vs ___

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the .50 Desert Eagle stack up in this conversation? I rarely see it mentioned......
21.gif

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
It's a piece of garbage. That's pretty much universally known

Well, not by me obviously, LOL! Otherwise I wouldn't have asked
wink.gif
What makes it a steaming pile? I've never shot one (you need your restricted to do the hand gun thing up here and then you can only use them at specific ranges and they need to be stored in a locked box and you have to apply for a permit to transport them.... Rather involved) or any other handgun, I just remember seeing one recently and thought I should ask as to how it compared to other guns.

The Desert Eagle is gas operated and the recoil is reduced. I have never shot one although I saw a guy shooting a .44 magnum Desert Eagle. It has, as far as I know, greatly reduced recoil compared to .44 Magnum (or even more powerful) revolvers. The Desert Eagle is really heavy.

It is expensive but I would not mind a Desert Eagle in .357 or 44 magnum. I think that it is actually possible to switch out the components and shoot .357, .41, and .44 magnum in the same gun.

The Desert Eagle certainly is not junk. Ir is not exactly a concealable weapon but it is a quality piece of equipment.

Personally myself I am not extremely impressed with magnum guns. In the dark the muzzle flash is huge, and temporarily blinds a person of their night vision (humans don't have much night vision anyway). And if a person used a .44 magnum to defend themselves in their home imagine what would happen in court. Even if the shooting was TOTALLY 100% JUSTIFIED, there is immediately this negative consideration of the weapon because of the Dirty Harry movies.

Maybe if I was as big as a NFL offensive tackle I would have a different viewpoint, but as a fairly small older man I prefer a gun that handles better than a .44 magnum. And I have shot I think four .44 magnum revolvers and a rifle that could shoot either .44 Special or .44 magnum rounds. For me a 9mm handgun or a .45 seems pretty adequate.

In any case, all of these super powerful handguns are nothing compared to high powered rifles and 12 gauge shotguns. If you really need the firepower get a 12 gauge loaded with buckshot or slugs or both. Most people with a little training can handle the 12 gauge and the 12 gauge makes the big, bad .44 magnum look pretty tame.

Not too many people are going to keep coming if they get hit with a 12 gauge slug or 12 gauge buckshot.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Well, not by me obviously, LOL! Otherwise I wouldn't have asked
wink.gif
What makes it a steaming pile? I've never shot one (you need your restricted to do the hand gun thing up here and then you can only use them at specific ranges and they need to be stored in a locked box and you have to apply for a permit to transport them.... Rather involved) or any other handgun, I just remember seeing one recently and thought I should ask as to how it compared to other guns.
Sounds like a perfect situation for a Desert Eagle. If you're going to jump through a lot of hoops and then can only use it in limited situations why not get something big and exotic and impractical to play with. Maybe a .500 or .460 S&W.

I happen to like the 40 S&W but personally prefer anything chambered in 45 ACP. I sometimes carry a Glock 27(40 S&W) off duty and as a back up. I shoot it very well and have found it to be very accurate and easy to control for such a small pistol. With a good grip and shooting mechanics, the 40 S&W is fairly easy to control...although the 9mm and 45 ACP are easier...IMO.

My favorite conceal carry pistol is my Glock 30S. I carry it most often when off duty. A little heavy but a good holster and belt make it much easier to carry.

I also do quite a bit of shooting with a Glock 19 and Glock 17. Very accurate and super easy to shoot.

I'm also a big fan of 1911's, Sigs and Beretta's...heck anything that goes bang I guess.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
How's the .50 Desert Eagle stack up in this conversation? I rarely see it mentioned......
21.gif

It's a gimmick gun that mall ninjas pass around to their friends to show off. The gun has no real use. There are much better defensive/hunting/concealed carry guns on the market.

Interesting write up, and I can't pick an argument with it. As compared to 25+ years ago, ammo(projectiles especially) has come a long way. Terminal performance was considerably different between calibers then when the 40 was conceived/adopted.

Everything is a compromise for LEOs. Cost is a factor. You have to have a caliber that can reliably stop a perp. Then you have to have a caliber/gun combo that officers not afraid to practice with. I shot a Colt Delta Elite in the mid 80's with the actual full power ammo that was common then. That gets old real fast. Couldn't imagine being forced to train with one and put a 150+ rounds through it at a range session. Just not fun.

Maybe 9mm performs within a few percent of what the higher power rounds do. If you could just teach these LEOs to actually hit what they shoot at, you would see the largest improvement for everyone involved, except for the bad guy. How someone performs under pressure with the adrenaline flowing is the biggest unknown.

I agree on the training for better marksmanship. Under the old Iowa CCW qualification laws I was required to shoot. The day I was out qualifying they were also qualifying local cops, deputies, and reserve officers. I saw a few really bad shooters with badges that day. I would hate to see how they performed in actual life threatening situations.

Yep, I do not like 357Mag from my SP101. It's not the recoil it's the blast that gets to me. Two rounds and I've had it.

40 is pretty snappy to me and I don't like the snap. I had an LCR in 38+P and traded it off for the 357 version for the extra weight.

I've contemplated dropping to 32H&R for easier shooting and one more round but never made the jump. [I have the stuff to reload so no worries about ammo cost.] But I'll never have to shoot through something so my needs are a bit different than the police.

In all honesty the larger the bullet the bigger the hole all things even. H!!!a although shot placement is the most important factor.

I have a 9 and a 40. I can shoot the 40 actually better than the 9. I can double-tap, and shoot it accurately with both strong and weak hand. I like the extra performance of the 40, and IMNSHO, no amount of projectile engineering can make a 9 hit as hard. I chose a 40 because it is the perfect (TO ME THAT IS) combination of high MV, bullet weight, and concealability.
That being said, I also totally agree that hits are the most important. What you get hits with is, as has been exhaustively pointed out, largely irrelevant. The idea is that one has CONFIDENCE in one's weapon and is practiced in it's use and manual of arms.

A near miss with the 45 acp is like a good hit with a couple of 9s or 40s [to stir the pot]

Originally Posted By: CT8
A near miss with the 45 acp is like a good hit with a couple of 9s or 40s [to stir the pot]

Unless that 40 cal is a 10mm.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

I am a fan of the 10mm cartridge, if it's loaded to full specs...not the usual 10mm range ammo that is only loaded to .40 velocities...

Ammo like this: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

I've got quite a few boxes of the Heavy 10mm Ammo - 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1,350fps/M.E. 728 ft. lbs.) for my Glock 20.

When you compare that energy to typical .45 ACP, even +P, that is closer to 480 ft. lbs. - the 10mm has impressive ballistics. I understand why the FBI chose it.

Now, I don't have to shoot through barriers (I hope!) and the Glock 20 is a full size pistol, so I am not carrying it concealed, but in the backcountry, that pistol, holding 15+1 rounds of 10mm is my first choice...180 gr. JHP for medium sized critters...and should I wish to be loaded for bear, the 220 gr. hardcast would be my choice...

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

The 10mm is like a minor nuclear explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back