New Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the engine and transmission combo on the new RAM's. Hopefully they will hold up and be reliable. They are also great looking trucks to boot!

On a side note, our Hemi Chargers have proven to be more reliable the first 2 years than a neighboring department's Eco Boost Interceptors.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: lovcom
SteveSRT8, why do you even need a truck? Do you haul anything? And if so how often? If its just fashion and a way to burn through the kind of cash that would make Dave Ramsey cry, I would suggest you get a Prius, and be smart about $$.

Frankly your advice is not needed. I'm a big boy and I buy what I want. Life is too short, and I'm not feeling your joy...

Dont you like these tree huggers with nose trouble?

I've owned mine for about 5 months now and have had triple that amount of adventures. This weekend my family of 5, 500 square feet of metal, random assortment of tools, ladder and a full set of subaru tires are taking a 500 mile round trip to build a shed for the in laws.

http://imgur.com/tyjmGgD

I"ve towed about 300 miles with 7000 lbs, a couple yards of crushed granite, a full load of junkyard metal, and 4 riding mowers.

All this on shocks that are recalled. They finally got the new ones and will get them put in next saturday.

TLDR: I love my truck. alot.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: lovcom
SteveSRT8, why do you even need a truck? Do you haul anything? And if so how often? If its just fashion and a way to burn through the kind of cash that would make Dave Ramsey cry, I would suggest you get a Prius, and be smart about $$.

Why do you need a car? Ride a bike, or take the bus.

Forget the bike or bus, just use Lyft. (The cars with the pink moustaches)

OK, update time. After test driving a LOADED Lariat model for a week we decided it was a bit 'blingy' for our taste and moved down to a Sport model.

Has almost everything the Lariat did except the gimmicky air suspension and the pretentious interior. Still what I would call loaded!

Drivetrain is 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed auto, and 3.9 posi rear end!

What a sweetie, really like this truck...

OK, update time. After test driving a LOADED Lariat model for a week we decided it was a bit 'blingy' for our taste and moved down to a Sport model.

Has almost everything the Lariat did except the gimmicky air suspension and the pretentious interior. Still what I would call loaded!

Pics, Pics, Pics!

Nice! Air suspensions scare me - but I'm in the salt belt.

Lariat is ford :p Sorry, had to.

Seems like it would be good at roasting tires. Or towing. Do they still offer the 5.7/6 speed for a discount?

Originally Posted By: supton
Yeah, that's what kept me from buying a smaller truck, trade space for... the same mpg and same purchase cost? That didn't make sense.

Same here. I'm just a suburbanite with some pretty minimal hauling needs. But when I compared the little trucks with the full-size ones, there was just no way to justify the cost. A left-over Ranger with absolutely nothing on it was about three thousand less than the full size and it didn't have an auto transmission. As you mention, any milage improvement isn't even noticeable.

Anyway, SRT8s car sounds like its super--The competition in this segment has really done wonderful things---like attract people like me who probably should be in regular cars.

I'll get some pics up soon. Spent some time crawling under the truck and came away even more impressed.

Big and rugged looking parts everywhere, some really cool tech, and one heck of a truck!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do they still offer the 5.7/6 speed

yes, even with the SLT the 8 speed is optional.

here are some pics. Everyone knows what a Ram looks like, so here are some guts:

Pic 1:- beefy electric power steering. My poor wife is having a hard time getting used to instant steering!

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151653.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Pic 2: weird looking black trans pan, anyone know if these are some sort of composite?

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151610.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Pic 3: weird heat exchanger (?) on side of trans drivers side.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151600.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Pic 4: BEEFY driveshaft and simple exhaust, a huge muffler. It actually has a bit of tone to it...

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151621.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

The heat exchanger thing puzzles me. But there is a lot of plumbing near it, some of it is quite large.

Still learning, mileage is going up steadily...

The heat exchanger is probably to heat the ATF quickly using the engine coolant.

That is a crazy looking tranny pan!

The heat exchanger thing puzzles me. But there is a lot of plumbing near it, some of it is quite large.

It looks like a liquid-to-liquid type heat exchanger. I would assume (you could follow the tubes...) that the visible tubes are an engine coolant loop, and the trans fluid circulates internally much like the oil cooler on the SRT 6.4 Hemi. That will heat the trans up quicker when you first start driving, and then shed heat the other way when the transmission is under a heavy load.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

It looks like a liquid-to-liquid type heat exchanger. I would assume (you could follow the tubes...) that the visible tubes are an engine coolant loop, and the trans fluid circulates internally much like the oil cooler on the SRT 6.4 Hemi. That will heat the trans up quicker when you first start driving, and then shed heat the other way when the transmission is under a heavy load.

And tow it will! My boat only weighs about 7500 pounds with the trailer and all, so it really won't have to work very hard, eh?

I'm already working on a factory service manual, this will be maintained 'in house' like all my other fleet trucks. My wife is already calling it 'SRT Junior"!!! It absolutely wails...

The Heat Exchanger on the side of the Trans is the Transmission Oil Cooler, Coolant is piped to it, Instead of ATF piped to the Radiator.

Probably a "Hot Loop" during warm-up, Then a "Cold loop" during normal/severe operation.

For sure a nice big stacked plate cooler!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

And tow it will! My boat only weighs about 7500 pounds with the trailer and all, so it really won't have to work very hard, eh?

Show off. :p An 8500-lb Sportsman trailer sure made my 4.7 work noticeably! It did fine, but that's about the limit (practically speaking- it could safely go a little heavier if the driver were more patient) with my rig right now. Of course it doesn't have a great rear end ratio for towing either.

Love the 5.7 Hemi. My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi engine. We were pulling a loaded dual axle dump trailer full of stone last weekend and the 5.7 didn't even notice. With the Eco mode he has been getting 20 mpg highway pretty consistently. The Jeep was also unstoppable in last winter's blizzards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back