Why I'm paranoid of buying oil at walmart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classic "Wal-Mart Shuffle"

In the town adjacent to the city where I live, the only Wal-Mart in America to ever close down due to excess inventory shrinkage and employee theft was located there. It closed its doors in the early 90's I believe.

The theft was blatant an rampant.

I bought a new Norelco electric razor at Wal Mart years ago. When I opened up the package and inspected the blade assembly prior to first use, large quantities of whiskers fell out. Exchanging it took over an hour and a half. That was the last straw for me with Wal Mart. I had other bad experiences as well with Wal Mart. I can buy motor oil on sale at Meijer oftentimes for less money. Off sale, Meijer is very competitive. Meijers' shelves are neater and seem less tampered. Basic marine products are often cheaper at my local boat store than Wal Wart. I could go on, but I'll spare everyone.

I buy SuperTech 5w-20 for topping of my car between changes at the dealer...no one messes with that stuff
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
No such thing on SOPUs motor oils.

So that means in order to check to see if it's been opened, you gotta open it.

Untrue. Refer to photographs posted at the beginning of this thread.

Neck seals have been around a while on motor oil bottles, milk bottles, etc. for a number of years now. They are not tamper-proof, I believe the term for all such seals including medicines these days is "tamper resistant", most likely as a screen to legal issues that most probably arose from the term "tamper-proof"

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

One of the last times I was buying oil from Walmart, I was fortunate enough to buy a sealed box of 4 x 5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Garak
One of the last times I was buying oil from Walmart, I was fortunate enough to buy a sealed box of 4 x 5 quarts.

I suppose if I was seriously thinking about buying the oil, then opening the lid wouldn't make me feel too guilty as long as I went and purchased the oil right afterwards.
wink.gif

No... just spin it open slightly to see if the seal has been broken

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
No such thing on SOPUs motor oils.

No. You're doing it wrong. Twist the cap. If you meet resistance, STOP! It's not been opened. If it comes off in your hand it's been opened. Grab another.

If you're opening it you're doing it wrong.

Not paranoid, but M1 0W-40 is the only thing I buy there.

It's almost too distressing shopping amongst the down-on-their luck white trash at our local store.
And I'm a pretty trashy white guy.
smile.gif

Wow I feel so fortunate not to have to resort to pulling rebate scams and whatnot to make ends meet.

M10W-405QT.jpg

It's fine here since we have no Shell stations within several hundred miles. I picked up some PP at Wally this weekend and it still had the rewards tag on it that exp. in June...

I suppose if I was seriously thinking about buying the oil, then opening the lid wouldn't make me feel too guilty as long as I went and purchased the oil right afterwards.
wink.gif

That, too! It's quite a world we live in when we have to worry about accidentally purchasing used oil, though.

In North Carolina, that $22.47 was the rollback price for August & September. Earlier this month I noticed the price went back up. Get some more at that price while you can. Hard to beat $4.49 a quart for M1 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back