Canadian Troops should take their Weapons Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about all the subjects in Canada be allowed to have weapons to protect themselves.

Letting soldiers remain armed while not deployed is a really interesting discussion. Think about the actual purposes of the military and civilian police forces: they are completely different.

Look up the posse comitatus act.

At my initial thought, I want our military to be armed anytime they could be in danger. On the other hand, we're not under martial law.

That being said, if a soldier is guarding something, especially a military monument, shouldn't he be armed?

Originally Posted By: CT8
How about all the subjects in Canada be allowed to have weapons to protect themselves.

Yes, they should have that right...

Perhaps some Canadians can chime in here with regard to what the
gun laws USED TO BE prior to the 1970s.

Some of my relatives in Atlantic Canada claim that gun laws were somewhat similar to those of the US decades ago 40s-60s? I believe the same could be said for Australia too. True?

Of course there is NO SECOND AMENDMENT in Canada, but with the proper licensing, training, and background check I don't see why the general populace would be against more citizens being armed.

I cannot see why any soldier on duty in an official capacity would NOT be armed with ammo.

Last edited:
Anyone who has spent any time in an army knows that they sure as [censored] do not want some of the 18 or 19 year old morons they serived with taking their automatic weapons home with them. They'd be great fun at off base house parties after all. Military officers are allowed to carry I believe, but could be wrong about that.

The police officer analogy doesn't really work because police are screened more so than the average enlisted person is and more rigorously trained to carry weapons in civil society than soldiers primarily trained to kill.

When I was in the Army in the early 90's, I was told we were not trained in hand-to-hand combat (or knife fighting) to any degree other than a few basic, lame judo throws because soldiers had a bad habit of using their mad ninja skills in bar brawls and street fights causing litigation. I believe that has since been rectified since the War on Terra..

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
It is said armed society is a polite society.

Who says that? Statistics would say otherwise..
You can say what you want but an armed society is a polite one. Who says that? I said that ! Look up the statistics where all are armed vs just the criminals and government.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I cannot see why any soldier on duty in an official capacity would NOT be armed with ammo.

It seems odd to me to have a single soldier "guard" a memorial, but he was on a ceremonial duty and very few armies arm soldiers in dress uniforms performing ceremonial duties in civil areas (I.E. the guards at Buckingham Palace). If anyone has seen the U.S. Army's Old Guard in action, it will become readily apparent how dangerous, if not suicidal, having chambered 7.62mm rounds in a twirling M-14 battle rifle would be. That's not to say armed police nearby major memorials/gov't buildings covering them is a bad idea...

Standing in harm's way with an unloaded gun is a death wish.

Go to YouTube and watch the full movie "Southern Comfort". Then come back and tell me what you think about carrying an unloaded gun.

Don't put it off. It's a good movie. You'll thank me for suggesting that you take the time to watch it. Honest.

Canadian's are plenty polite without being armed, thankyou.

I said that.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Anyone who has spent any time in an army knows that they sure as [censored] do not want some of the 18 or 19 year old morons they serived with taking their automatic weapons home with them. They'd be great fun at off base house parties after all. Military officers are allowed to carry I believe, but could be wrong about that.

The police officer analogy doesn't really work because police are screened more so than the average enlisted person is and more rigorously trained to carry weapons in civil society than soldiers primarily trained to kill.

When I was in the Army in the early 90's, I was told we were not trained in hand-to-hand combat (or knife fighting) to any degree other than a few basic, lame judo throws because soldiers had a bad habit of using their mad ninja skills in bar brawls and street fights causing litigation. I believe that has since been rectified since the War on Terra..

Officers don't carry, either.

Some police departments are harder to get into than some military specialties. Some are not. There are plenty of military members, yes, young enlisted ones, who are smarter and better trained than local cops. (I've had sailors in my reserve unit who ARE local cops...they are my source).

The point about training is a good one - police serve in civil society, military serves in combat. Part of the concern over the militarization of the police is that when on a war footing, the public begins to look like the enemy....

Last edited:
I doubt many in our armed forces are even issued a hand gun at all when on base? And I doubt many want to carry an assault rifle around, even after these attacks. Would an AR of even helped prevent the attack with the car? Depends on the situation, but probably not.
I would hope though, that the RCMP is now closely monitoring any other ISIS wannabees that have nothing to lose, if someone is failing in this life, they may be looking for an easy way to end it to become a "martyr".

Indylan - I can't speak for your armed forces, but for ours, the only folks with any weapon in their possession are security forces. We train sailors from other rates (specialties) to perform security functions, and they are issued weapons only while performing that duty. Those weapons are tightly controlled. They run the gamut from 9mm handgun to .50 cal M2 machine gun as the force protection posture dictates.

Our folks are trained extensively in their use through the use of laser simulator ranges, which teach judgement and marksmanship in sets of realistic/live/interactive scenarios, and on live fire exercises. But they're trained to protect/defend DOD personnel and property. They're not police.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Who says that? Statistics would say otherwise..
You can say what you want but an armed society is a polite one. Who says that? I said that ! Look up the statistics where all are armed vs just the criminals and government.

Yeah, the Old West was very polite......

So are all those gang picnics.

Last edited:
Thing is, you can't issue guns just to GOOD guys.
For every example where a GOOD guy stopped bad guys with a gun, sadly there are about 100x the other way around.
Won't happen. Not going to happen.

But I fully agree that IF Govt/security personnel DO carry weapons, they SHOULD be loaded. I didn't even know they carried unloaded weapons.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thing is, you can't issue guns just to GOOD guys.

On the other side of that token, you can't take guns away from bad guys! I think Canadian gun laws proved this yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back