Ford Duratec 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I know the Ford Duratec 2.0 currently used in the Focus is a Mazda MZR engine.
Have these been very reliable?
What if any issues have they had?

Thanks.

My 2007 has been a very good car. Biggest issue has been two alternators have been replaced.

My 2005. Water sometimes gets in the spark plug tubes. Spark plug tubes are in a well in the cam cover. Once I think I got them wet when I rinsed heavy dew off the car with a pail of water. I have replaced 1 lifetime air filter, 1 alternator, 3 batteries and 1 thermostat.

The engine used to be noisy. So I deleted the swirl plates, and square shaft, and plugged holes in the polymide Dupont Nylon 77 intake manifold flange with epoxy. I don't recommend this mod though unless the noise really bugs you. I'm glad I did mine but I don't know if it will shorten the life of the engine, or not.

Other than that, she runs strong and smooth and quiet. I get 27mpg summer and 29 winter. And I don't have to add oil between 5500-6000 mile oil changes.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying a new 2014 Focus with an MT. (I know the Focus A/T has been problematic and I like a stick better anyway).

I wanted some feedback before shopping.

I read about the problems with the 'swirl plates' on the plastic manifold on a UK Ford Mondeo website. I would hope this problem has been fixed by 2014. Does anybody know?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm thinking of buying a new 2014 Focus with an MT. (I know the Focus A/T has been problematic and I like a stick better anyway).

I wanted some feedback before shopping.

I read about the problems with the 'swirl plates' on the plastic manifold on a UK Ford Mondeo website. I would hope this problem has been fixed by 2014. Does anybody know?

I don't think the flappers have been a problem for a while now.

The Focus up to 2011 was the Mazda/Ford design. After that, they kind of went their own way with engine designs. The TI-VCT direct injection 2.0L currently in the Focus is an evolution of the 2.0L duratec engine, though. Still quite reliable.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Those lifetime air filters do a really good job of keeping contamination out of the engine, i would leave it if i had one.

I replaced my lifetime AF with a Doorman that has a replaceable filter. Glad I did. There must have been a full hand full of dirt, bugs, and leaves in the intake side of the filter.

I bought the Focus today.
I had to go about 100 miles from home to find the M/T 5 door (hatchback). I drove home via country roads (avoiding the interstate) in order to vary the RPMs. I like the feel of the car...it had only 4 miles on it when I test drove it...8 miles when I pulled out of the dealers lot...and 114 at the moment.

Now I have to decide on when to do my first oil change....I'm thinking of 2000 or 2500 miles....anybody think that's too soon?

PS:
I traded in my Chevy Cruze....I got tired of adding/smelling anti-freeze and having GM pretend there isn't a problem...... no more GMs for me.....EVER.

Good luck with your new Focus. I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0 Zetec, 5 sp MT. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. I bought it new in 12/95, I ordered it in 9/95 the way I wanted it. It's my "poor man's BMW"
grin2.gif
. It handles great, fun to drive and it's been super reliable. I have over 100,000 miles on it and it runs great and has cost me little other than common sense maintenance and some wear and tear items.

The Duratec followed the Zetec and seems to be just as reliable.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back