Improving Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that wearing contacts SLOWS your eyes from getting worse, and that wearing glasses speeds up your eyes getting worse. Does anyone know any good (reliable and proven) eye exercises to improve vision?

Getting old ain't for sissies.

There are exercises you can do but don't do them because they improve your vision and your ability to focus and the healthcare system can't make any money if people start pulling stunts like that. You're supposed to get your contact lens and glasses and be done with it. Oh, and don't mess with good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. That's bad for business as well. You'll be a lot happier with a beer, a cigarette, a hamburger with french fries and a place in front of that widescreen TV. Remember, you have universal healthcare to take care of the rest.

I heard the same thing for contact lenses. However, as one eye doctor explained it to me, that works on the same principle as stopping your feet from growing by wearing a smaller size shoe.

This is a question you need to ask your optometrist.

Typically though this would mean you're getting rigid contact lenses and not soft ones.

The bigger question is if your perscription is stable or not. then perhaps you should consider lasik.

Overall for your eye health you just need to take breaks every so often if you're just looking at a screen all day. Then also protect from sunlight, and then if your eyes are dry or you tend to itch or rub them, to use eyedrops to keep your eyes moist.

As far as your diet, just get yourself a healthier diet and that's better than trying to use a magic pill.

Last edited:
I had an eye getting slightly off and it didn't really bother me but my concern was it getting worse. I went to the optometrist and my only question was if not wearing glasses would make it worse. He said no not at all. So I'm siding with the Dr and saying that what you heard is false.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Getting old ain't for sissies.

There are exercises you can do but don't do them because they improve your vision and your ability to focus and the healthcare system can't make any money if people start pulling stunts like that. You're supposed to get your contact lens and glasses and be done with it. Oh, and don't mess with good nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. That's bad for business as well. You'll be a lot happier with a beer, a cigarette, a hamburger with french fries and a place in front of that widescreen TV. Remember, you have universal healthcare to take care of the rest.

With that one eye of yours....you should know!
wink.gif

It used to be said that wearing rigid, gas-permeable contact lenses would help the eye to keep from getting out-of-round as fast as it would by just wearing glasses. I was one of the test cases back 30+ years ago, but it didn't really help me as much as they said it would. I wore rigids for 20 years, and my vision still ended up in the 180-200:20 range. Nowadays, I don't think that this is a firmly held belief with any respectable optometrists. If your eyes are destined to become misshapen, they will no matter what you do.

I eventually had lasik to correct my sight, and my one eye that was just nearsighted turned out great while my eye with a bit of astigmatism just came out OK.

There are "Ortho-K" contacts that are used to keep the eye in it's proper shape. They are common among pilots. Often, they can be used at night/sleep and removed during the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthokeratology

Interestingly, there is evidence that, for some, the use of contacts does re-shape the eye, affect cell growth and maintain proper focus. Especially with Ortho-K contacts.

FWIW...

With this thread in mind, during my eye exam yesterday, I asked my optometrist about the Bates Method. He said that it is a bunch of bologna. He said that issues with the eyes are purely physiological, and exercises that claim to reverse eye problems are simply a waste of time.

And what did he say you needed to do ?

....give him more money.

When I joined the rifle club, and was required to rapidly shift very near, very far, and arm length vision, my eyesight went from needing reading glasses to nothing...18 years later, two in a cubicle without a view, I'm noticing regression...a couple weeks driving in the desert, and my distance vision improved markedly at the expense of close-up.

Why does exercise improve every other facet of the body bar the eyes ?

I'm not arguing for or against the Bates Method. I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other. Just telling you what my optometrist told me.
That said, I only went for an eye exam. He didn't try to sell me anything.
There does seem to be some interesting cases of people having success with it, so I don't think it would hurt to give it a try. My vision isn't 20/20 anymore, but I don't quite need glasses yet, so maybe I should give Bates a try.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
And what did he say you needed to do ?

....give him more money.

When I joined the rifle club, and was required to rapidly shift very near, very far, and arm length vision, my eyesight went from needing reading glasses to nothing...18 years later, two in a cubicle without a view, I'm noticing regression...a couple weeks driving in the desert, and my distance vision improved markedly at the expense of close-up.

Why does exercise improve every other facet of the body bar the eyes ?

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
It used to be said that wearing rigid, gas-permeable contact lenses would help the eye to keep from getting out-of-round as fast as it would by just wearing glasses. I was one of the test cases back 30+ years ago, but it didn't really help me as much as they said it would. I wore rigids for 20 years, and my vision still ended up in the 180-200:20 range. Nowadays, I don't think that this is a firmly held belief with any respectable optometrists. If your eyes are destined to become misshapen, they will no matter what you do.

Don't think this is right. Most optometrists still hold rgps to do a form of orthok. Google rgp and most sites, including those in the vision industry like vsp still list that benefit, versus saying that its a myth

Your personal account reads like I brush my teeth but got a cavity so brushing your teeth doesn't work.
But if you didnt brush maybe you would have gotten 10 cavities

when you get your lasik they require if you wear rgps you need to discontinue for 60days or longer. This is because they are having an effect and shaping your eyeballs. So saying that optometrists dont think rgps have a shaping effect affecting vision is false. Especially the part that anyone who says otherwise is not respectable

Last edited:
I don't wear OrthoK lenses, never tried them. However, the guy I fly with does. His vision is about 20-200 without and 20-20 with. He passes his medical vision exam without glasses every 6 months.

My vision is between 20-200 and 20-300. I use daily contacts with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back