Strait 30 Or 15W40 In Old Briggs That Smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was changing oil on some of my small engines today I have an old snow blower 1966 that runs good but is beginning to smoke i have always used pennzoil strait 30 but am wondering if a 15w40 would make it smoke less.

Also on my generator which is a 70's sears tecumsuh 4 hp i was looking for pennzoil strait 30 in SL but could only find valvoline strait 30 sn should i use it or find the pennzoil SL

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have an old snow blower 1966 that runs good but is beginning to smoke

There is your answer. SAE30 is terrible in the winter. 10W30, 10W40, 15W40 will all work fine. Try a high mileage like Defy.

You'll only know if you try it. I'd give the 15W40 a go, and see what happens.

It depends on WHY it is smoking. If it is a stuck oil control ring, a HDEO (gas/diesel) oil may free up the ring. You might also give the motor some strong (not TOO strong) doses of a carb cleaner.

If it is just wear causing the smoke, try one of the high mileage oils like Pennzoil High Mileage or Valvoline Max Life ... 10W-30 or 10W-40.

Amsoil 30 wt synthetic acts as a 10w30 without any additives its classed as a 10W30?30 oil its a REAL group IV synthetic, easy starts + long life

Using heavier oils is only a band-aid. Rebuild the engine and cure the issue plus keep the environment clean.

slomo

These old flatheads aren't picky about oil.
The engine will probably smoke less on a thicker grade like a 15W-40.
15W-40 is much thicker than an HD30 at operating temperatures.
Give it a try and see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back