CataClean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: engineer20
Um, smell, the noxious smell that comes out of my camry at startup but not from the taurus with half the number oif miles?

Like I said in the other thread you posted this in check the o2 sensor. And drive the car hard on the highway once in a while.
If you baby a vehicle the rpm never elevate very high and the velocity running through the cylinders and exhaust is very low and deposits accumulate. Driving hard once in a while can help cleans deposits off of sensors and break carbon loose.

Do you really think asking the same question in multiple threads is gonna do anything other than irritate people.
If you have a question start a thread and maybe follow the advice given.

I don't need this stuff since I run acetone,xylene,toluene in my fuel mixed with tc-w3. I beat EPA mileage in every treated vehicle and it doesn't take much so a gallon of each lasts months.

IF anyone is a firm believer in/user of this product, Summit Racing now has a buy 2 get 2 free sale going on.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: engineer20
Um, smell, the noxious smell that comes out of my camry at startup but not from the taurus with half the number of miles?

If you are getting the smell of rotten eggs, it is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide, coming from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form... therefore a strong rotten egg smell.

Another user suggested checking your O2 sensors. On most vehicles, the front sensor actually does something important. The rear sensor is mostly along for the ride, to make the vehicle OBDII compliant. If your car runs okay (bad smell aside), then your front O2 sensor is probably okay (or, at least, functional).

You cannot repair a catalytic converter but you may be able to clean it. Search the net for 'citrus clean catalytic converter' for techniques and products. Basically, you remove the converter from the vehicle, plug all the holes, fill it with citrus cleaner or concentrated lemon juice, and keep it warm (like, on your BBQ grill) for a few hours or days. Then, drain out the contents - it should be good to go. The other alternative is to replace the converter - an expensive proposition with an aftermarket cat. Buying the cat from the car dealer requires a second mortgage.

Other causes of rotten egg smell besides a non-functioning catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot, a broken fuel pressure regulator, or possibly a clogged fuel filter. They're worth a check, but cats tend to go bad with age.

Don't bother with it as I've posted. It's expensive and you could run CRC Guaranteed To Pass (a high PEA product) through your car two or three times for about the same amount of money.

The best luck I had with a problem emissions car was to just bite the bullet and pay the $100 or so to have a professional fuel injection service cleaning done at a shop or dealership...

New to the forum but;
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0
My engine light came on last year in September-one month before my OBDII
CODES PRESENT WERE Both O2 Sensors and Cat below threshold. Upon a diag and investigation and MAF cleaning.(On my model the first item to check is the MAF IF Both sensors are sounding off-not the same for every model/make )
Anyhow according to Ford- my Cats needed replacing. Second stop- my local exhaust shop. Reset codes, came back on after 1/2 tank and about a week of driving. Went back in. They said it is definitely the Cats due for replacement. (Same three codes stored)
In a panic I'm considering selling my lifesblood to afford the repairs and the owner and great business acquaintance tells me he thinks he can get my car to pass inspection until I can save up for repairs. Enter: Guarantee to Pass
I drove the sin out of my car a total of 70 miles at different driving speeds as per his instructions . Came back passed my obd2 . fast forward two weeks when the light comes back-same codes. Kept an eye and had codes checked frequently.
About 6 months later had problems with vehicle getting fuel. Ran fuel pressure test at work-all good. Codes still present o2 and cat below threshold. Ran Gtp and noted the car idling better, not dying or sputtering after turning on. Probably a whole new issue but it hasn't happened again and we monitor closely. life went on and we end up ready for inspection again.
Same three codes. But I knew what to do and started with my MAF cleaner - just in case. Step two enter Gtp and some driving- only this time- a code threw-replaced front O2 sensor and no codes present for going on month two.
Car runs great.
Cats are perfectly fine. Had the car lifted and cats inspected (took a few days of being stuck in my husbands Stang).
My cats are at full threshold. Temps where they should be. No clogging, and no other issues noted. My mpg improved both times I have used this product- although given the MAF clean,new sensor, I cannot fully support the claim for better mileage-any one of those variables contribute greatly to fuel economy. In my exploder (haha) fuel economy isn't a strong point anyways so I notice every extra mile I get.I budget them. I log them.I love for them!
What I'm getting at is Yes GTP does aid in inspection, no it does not cure a disease. If the sensors are bad they are bad- if cats are toast they just are. You can fake it til you break it with this stuff. But it made a difference in the shape of my cats visually (less buildup within) and my cats have not signaled a code again-i will continue to check them and monitor my car. Its easy to tell with mine when something's amiss. We have a code reader I keep with me just in case the light does come on. And when its time I will overhaul my cars fuel and exhaust system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back