2 piece engine block on Ford's new 2.7 EcoBoost V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Don't old Triumph motorcycles have a seam right down the middle of the engine?

Look for the oil puddle, then up, and that's it, right?
laugh.gif

Yep, first thing I thought. Another possible failure point!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

laugh.gif

Yep, first thing I thought. Another possible failure point!

Yep. Used before or not its new here. Like I said before let the early adapters tell me how good/bad the design is.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
This isn't anything new, other than the main caps are not integral.

Yeah, I just can't fathom why they didn't make the bearing caps integral to the lower girdle. It seems to me that they're leaving so much of the benefit of a split design on the table. The vehicle owner assumes more risk with another seal to fail, and doesn't get the benefit of girdled main caps. If they did this purely so save weight and didn't look at leveraging the design to achieve other benefits, I think they may have been too narrowly-focused. Not saying that's what happened...but I fail to come up with a reason.

I'd love to pick the brain of one of the powertrain engineers on this project.

laugh.gif

Many more bikes besides Triumph have split cases. And again, they were chronic oil leakers until the Japanese showed them that it was possible to build a motorcycle that didn't leak oil. I remember being in a Yamaha shop when the then new Virago 750 was just out. The HD shop owner from across the street came in, looked at the Virago and asked if that was Yamaha's new Harley copy. The Yamaha dealer replied "Yep. It does everything the Harley does except vibrate and leak oil."

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Yeah, I just can't fathom why they didn't make the bearing caps integral to the lower girdle.

Because the CGI iron caps are cracked off after casting the iron upper. It's strong and the caps end up with perfect alignment. All the combustion and inertial stresses (and resulting strains) are resisted within the much-stiffer iron component and the aluminium lower is not involved. The lower block only cradles the upper and adapts it to the remaining parts below and at each end.

Concepts like 4-bolt mains and side-bolted mains are just one kludge upon another to fix problems on existing designs. This design tackles the requirements directly and elegantly.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Yeah, I just can't fathom why they didn't make the bearing caps integral to the lower girdle.

Because the CGI iron caps are cracked off after casting the iron upper. It's strong and the caps end up with perfect alignment.

Thanks -- I think I missed where it's an IRON upper block with IRON caps.

That looks a bit more complicated and expensive to rebuild/fix than I would like to see in a truck.

We will see, time will tell. I'd love to see a contractor test that thing for 10 years. 10k-15k mile Jiffy lube oil changes, spark plugs when they fail, coolant, never, air filter? Maybe at 100k.

GM sells a ton of 6L's, and the old 4.3's for a reason, they don't mind abuse.

Remember this is a truck motor not an Audi A8 motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
That looks a bit more complicated and expensive to rebuild/fix than I would like to see in a truck.

We will see, time will tell. I'd love to see a contractor test that thing for 10 years. 10k-15k mile Jiffy lube oil changes, spark plugs when they fail, coolant, never, air filter? Maybe at 100k.

GM sells a ton of 6L's, and the old 4.3's for a reason, they don't mind abuse.

Remember this is a truck motor not an Audi A8 motor.

Most 1/2 ton trucks are not bought by those who expect 300K out of them in a hard life.

I'm sure any fleets would be the NA 3.7 V6 or the NA 5.0 V8 ... or a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Because the CGI iron caps are cracked off after casting the iron upper. It's strong and the caps end up with perfect alignment. All the combustion and inertial stresses (and resulting strains) are resisted within the much-stiffer iron component and the aluminium lower is not involved. The lower block only cradles the upper and adapts it to the remaining parts below and at each end.

Concepts like 4-bolt mains and side-bolted mains are just one kludge upon another to fix problems on existing designs. This design tackles the requirements directly and elegantly.

Good idea, didn't know they were doing cracked mains.

This design tackles the requirements directly and elegantly.

Yeah, I was looking at the concept and the first thing that struck me was it looks like an attempt to isolate stresses. By that I mean the iron casting is only there to support the reciprocating/rotating assembly, and the thick aluminum cradle supports powertrain/mounting/external stresses. By just designing for the actual internal stresses you can cut down the weight considerably of the iron casting.

Neat concept. Hope it don't leak.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
No bushings on the wrist pins....wow....that'd make me cringe. Also, won't there be problems where the aluminum and iron meet? i.e....the infamous 5.4 engine that spit out spark plugs...iron plugs on aluminum heads???
Non bushed rods are normal.

It is common sense to let other consumers pay to test the new design vehicles etc.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is common sense to let other consumers pay to test the new design vehicles etc.

Yep, always give thanks for the early adopters...

If I were buying a new F150 I would get the 5.0L V8. Still not a fan of turbos on a gas engine on a truck. Too many added points of failure. Would be nice if they switched the 5.0L over to direct injection, the heads already have the ability to take the injectors.

I was wondering if anyone has built a heavily modified ecoboost engine yet, and blew it up? Like those guys who do 1000HP 2JZ engine builds or 600HP Honda S2000 builds or 400HP out of a Madzaspeed 3.

Livernois has some cool stuff out for the EcoBoost engines. I would like to see the 6.2L V8 developed more and maybe converted to DI for a new Raptor. For the intended audience, you want a big V8 without oil lines running all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back