Parliament Hill attacked, soldier shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
solemn thoughts for those who lost their lives today and for the families who will struggle to face life without their loved ones.

to our neighbors to the north who are nearby and may be receiving better information, do they know if it was terrorist related yet?

either way I hope they get them all if more than one were involved.

Sorry, but my first thought hearing the 6AM news down here was "there goes your semi autos, and welcome back registration"...

regardless of the motivation of the perps, Govt's will not miss the opportunity to wheel out a fridge trolley of already pre-written legislation waiting for an opportunity to use it.

Nothing really changes, just more of the same, some worse, some not so worse. It was 1967, Nam was rolling and we were a bombing==there is really nothing new under the sun.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
solemn thoughts for those who lost their lives today and for the families who will struggle to face life without their loved ones.

to our neighbors to the north who are nearby and may be receiving better information, do they know if it was terrorist related yet?

Drudge report says recent convert to Islam. No I was not surprised.

Quote:

OTTAWA, Ontario - Tragedy and terror struck Canada's capital city Wednesday as a gunman shot a soldier standing guard at the country's National War Memorial before being killed later in a shootout, putting Ottawa's downtown on lockdown and sending terrified government members and employees scrambling for safety.

Law enforcement and U.S. Government sources told CBS News the suspect was Michael Abdul Zehaf Bibeau, born in Canada in 1982. One source says he sometime dropped the name Michael and went by Abdul Zehaf Bibeau. At other times he apparently dropped the Abdul.

The soldier was later pronounced dead from his wounds. Officials are withholding the soldier's name pending family notification.

Ottawa police spokesman Chuck Benoit said two or three gunmen may have been involved in the attack. Gilles Michaud, assistant commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, called it a "dynamic, unfolding situation."

No motives for the shootings have been revealed yet, but the incidents happened one day after two other soldiers -- one of whom later died -- were run over by a car driven by a recent Muslim convert and jihadist sympathizer whom police also shot and killed.

The series of incidents in Ottawa began shortly before 10 a.m., when the soldier was shot.Emergency personnel tend to a soldier shot at the National Memorial near Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Wednesday Oct. 22, 2014.

Witnesses said the soldier was gunned down by a man dressed all in black with a scarf over his face.

"I looked out the window and saw a shooter, a man dressed all in black with a kerchief over his nose and mouth and something over his head as well, holding a rifle and shooting an honor guard in front of the cenotaph point-blank, twice," Tony Zobl, 35, told the Canadian Press news agency.

Zobl said he witnessed the incident from his fourth-floor window directly above the National War Memorial, a 70-foot, arched granite cenotaph, or tomb, with bronze sculptures commemorating World War I.

"The honor guard dropped to the ground, and the shooter kind of raised his arms in triumph holding the rifle," Zobl said.

Zobl and other witnesses said the gunman then ran up the street toward Parliament Hill, and later entered the main building there, where dozens of shots rang out.

*snip*

Canada had raised its domestic terror threat level from low to medium Tuesday because of "an increase in general chatter from radical Islamist organizations," said Jean-Christophe de Le Rue, a spokesman for the public safety minister.

IMHO, we are at war. And it is now on our own soil. I am afraid it will take more of these events however before those living in their contrived utopia to acknowledge that fact.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Tragic-If this is an act of terrorism I hope there is a swift and effective retaliation.

... Which will inspire more terrorists, which will necessitate more retaliation, ad infinitum. Never, ever works.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Tragic-If this is an act of terrorism I hope there is a swift and effective retaliation.

... Which will inspire more terrorists, which will necessitate more retaliation, ad infinitum. Never, ever works.

No, it doesn't end until somebody is bombed into the stone age or nuked based on our past history with the subject.

There is no peaceful resolve to this and you can't just continue to toss stones at each other hoping your enemy will eventually cave. That has never worked in the past and it isn't about to work now. The solution is complete and utter obliteration of the threat. Anything less is a half-measure and will continue to result in events like these, little "pecks" at each other that get everybody angry but don't achieve anything.

They don't care , if we left them alone they would still try to kill us. They hate that we exist. Remember the requirement in every area they take over? Convert , pay a huge regular ransom or die.
This is what the co-exist people do not understand. They only respect your ability and willingness to destroy them, nothing else.

At least they are not calling it work place violence yet. There are some good folks in these countries i would hate to see innocents killed, ISIS is doing enough of that already.
IMO We have to go in there and root the extremist out one by one if necessary and kill them.

I see on the news that people are going from the US and Europe to fight with these extremist, if they return you have to kill them.
These people are coming back just to do this sort of thing. No trial and keeping an eye on them, shoot them for God sake.
We need to wipe out this infestation as soon as it shows up on the radar so to speak.

Good God in heaven its common sense!

Originally Posted By: spasm3

They don't care , if we left them alone they would still try to kill us. They hate that we exist. Remember the requirement in every area they take over? Convert , pay a huge regular ransom or die.
This is what the co-exist people do not understand. They only respect your ability and willingness to destroy them, nothing else.

It took two nukes and the threat of complete annihilation to get Imperial Japan to surrender. It took bombing Germany into a pile of rubble. War is not pretty, it isn't clean, it isn't nice. It doesn't play friendly and it isn't something that you can go half into and expect to get anywhere. In order to succeed at war somebody has to lose. Somebody has to admit defeat. 10's of millions of people paid the price in World War II so that we have the freedoms we enjoy today. So that people can pretend that peace is something that just "happens" when you refuse to get involved. Peace has a price. Freedom has a price. And that price is both monetary and expressed in human lives.

Co-existence is manufactured hippie nonsense. As long as the human race has lived there has been conflict. Peace is only temporary and only happens due to great loss or the threat of great loss (the Cold War for example). Eventually you will again have to stand up and defend it. There has always been and will always be evil. Managing it is the hard part.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It took two nukes and the threat of complete annihilation to get Imperial Japan to surrender. It took bombing Germany into a pile of rubble. War is not pretty, it isn't clean, it isn't nice. It doesn't play friendly and it isn't something that you can go half into and expect to get anywhere. In order to succeed at war somebody has to lose. Somebody has to admit defeat. 10's of millions of people paid the price in World War II so that we have the freedoms we enjoy today. So that people can pretend that peace is something that just "happens" when you refuse to get involved. Peace has a price. Freedom has a price. And that price is both monetary and expressed in human lives.

Co-existence is manufactured hippie nonsense. As long as the human race has lived there has been conflict. Peace is only temporary and only happens due to great loss or the threat of great loss (the Cold War for example). Eventually you will again have to stand up and defend it. There has always been and will always be evil. Managing it is the hard part.

I agree 100% and the no more "surgical strikes". Either you are with us or against us. If you are in Iraq or Syria and you are harboring Al-Qaeda or ISIS you are against us. This includes the "moderate Syrian rebels". The Islamic republic of Iran should keep to themselves also.

WW2 got cranked up big time because good men did not step up to the plate early and by 1945, estimated dead was 55,000,000 +- a 100k or so. War makes good men do unnatural things, its a bum deal, but 55 million dead could have been prevented ----maybe.

A new kind of evil is with us now...I guess everyone has their own viewpoints on that subject.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I see on the news that people are going from the US and Europe to fight with these extremist, if they return you have to kill them.
These people are coming back just to do this sort of thing. No trial and keeping an eye on them, shoot them for God sake.

Good God in heaven
its common sense!

Yeah it's unfortunate that there are crazies like that, but just shoot them at the airport when they come back? that won't happen, for a lot of reasons. LOL! Not even in the worst action movie made for 10 yr olds.

If we do that kind of stuff, Then we become beasts just like them, and that's letting them win, in the long run.

And funnily enough, all in the name of "god"(s) / religion - main reason for almost all of this violence in the first place.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

And funnily enough, all in the name of "god" - main reason for almost all of this violence in the first place.

I think in some cases in many others it is an excuse to commit mayhem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DNVDMAX
Condolences to Corporal Nathan Cirillo's family.

Yeah, +1. He grew up not far from me, just over the border in Hamilton, ONT. RIP

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

Drudge report says recent convert to Islam. No I was not surprised.

Oh no! He was a MULSIM EVIL DOER!!! Dah dah DAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Jesus, how many here chirping about evil Muslims even realize that a Canadian **** took an M-14 and murdered three RCMP officers? Oh, he was "Christian" and very pro-gun rights, too...

image_zps384a26b3.png

Three RCMP officers murdered...

Anyone up for a witch hunt?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Jesus, how many here chirping about evil Muslims even realize that a Canadian **** took an M-14 and murdered three RCMP officers? Oh, he was "Christian" and very pro-gun rights, too...

Considering I started the thread about that nutjob when it was happening, I'm pretty sure I remember.

He was a case of the failure of mental healthcare. He was not a part of some larger fundamentalist group of nutjobs looking to perpetrate their nutjob agenda on a global scale. He sought out (wrongful) retaliation against the RCMP for "killing his friend". Pointing out that he was pro firearms and Christian is just a giant straw-man here, that had nothing to do with the motive for his crimes.

I'm guessing your point is that because Justin Bourque was able to commit these acts against the RCMP, that it somehow works to marginalize the nature of what is being discussed? That the threat of extreme Islam (not Muslims, just the extremists) is being unfairly "attacked" by scared white people. Why aren't we targeting crazy white folks with all this "hate speech" right?

Well I'm pretty sure if it was the KKK shooting soldiers on Parliament hill that there'd be a heck of a lot of the same dialogue being tossed around about "those people", "that group".

Fear and paranoia aren't reserved for one particular segment of society. If certain individuals or groups work to inspire fear and hatred of them, why should we be surprised when that is exactly what happens? People are supposed to be "above that" and what, just set aside their emotions and fears because they might not be politically correct? That's not going to happen.

Are wrongful conclusions going to be jumped to? Yes. Are people going to be unfairly targeted? Yes. Is there the risk of our rights being trampled in the name of public safety? Definitely.

Nobody walks away from this without being affected, you know that.

Note that I understand your point (stereotyping an entire religion based on the acts of a few extremists which represent a very small overall percentage) but trying to make it using sarcasm and a trumped up "white boogeyman" in Justin Bourque, who was really just a nutter with an axe to grind, isn't getting you there IMHO. I'm sure there are better examples with some actual parallels to be drawn out there that might fit with your point better.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'm guessing your point is that because Justin Bourque was able to commit these acts against the RCMP, that it somehow works to marginalize the nature of what is being discussed?...

No. Guess again...

My point is that people in the Canadian security forces are just as dead irregardless of who did what and why. In fact, more were killed by said **** wackjob and he was apparently more effective at carrying out his agenda than the murderer of the unfortunate soldier.

I seems here that certain murders and painfully ignored here and others are played up by pants-wetters with some political agenda seeking to end that bane of humanity that is political correctness. Such as, there is a said nutjob running around Pennsylvania playing a "game" with police after ambushing two State Troopers and murdering one of them, yet that case is completely ignored here. It's ignored out of selective amnesia and these sorts of events are rare and not really worth the emotive extremes people are advocating here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back