Mercedes change from Mobil 1 to Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you fellows know the specs of MB Shell Oil? I was at the MB dealer today and looked at the bottle but all it says is MB oil. Am wondering if I should stay with Mobil1 or let them use this Shell oil. I know that the change is due to commercial interests and not to performance.

Roger Penske sells a lot of MBs and other marques. Not coincidentally, so do his dealerships.
He was a Mobil gent after his Cam2 and Pennzoil days. Suffice to say he hasn't earned billions by not being sharp in the boardroom.
Now he promotes Shell products.
smile.gif

Note several brands are approved on the Bevo site as having passed stringent MB certifications.

Kinda fond of my 'old-school' Mobil+AMG decal though.

Mobil1decal.jpg

^ He said the bottle said "MB oil".

Which is why I asked for pics or more info from the bottle.

How does he know it is Shell oil in an apparently MB labelled bottle?

Mercedes bottled fluids are Mobil products with different labels, unless something just changed which I doubt. Except some oddball fluids which I think are still Febi or Fuchs.

Shell does a lot with Ferrari.

Last edited:
Hi,
Pelican - IME Factory owned Dealerships/Service points use factory mandated products. Privately owned Dealerships/Service points typically use compliant products from their preferred supplier

Most Manufacturers have more than one Factory supplier (compliant to specification) to always ensure continuity of supply

Shell was once the prime supplier (FF) to Porsche for instance

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Mercedes bottled fluids are Mobil products with different labels, unless something just changed which I doubt. Except some oddball fluids which I think are still Febi or Fuchs.

Shell does a lot with Ferrari.

Mercedes own brand engine oils should be made by PETRONAS now.

Last edited:
I don't have a pic, but will take one next time I'm in the service area.
I've heard about this change (can't remember where or whom) so I checked with the service dept and they confirmed this change and when I asked to see the bottle it only said MB oil spec 225.6 (I think is memory serves)nothing else on it, their bulk oil is also this.
They maintain the same service interval. I'm sure that this was due to a better offer from Shell and not beacuse Mobil 1 is inferior. I was just curious of which Shell Oil it was.

Hi Doug, Don't think this is a local change as I've bought oil from them before and it was Mobil 1 M. This time it looks like it was bottled by MB or by someone for them

I think I found the Shell Oil I was asking about,I think it's Helix Ultra 5W40, here are the Specifications:

API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari. Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725

Do any of you know if it is as good as Mobil 1 5W40, have you heard anything about this oil?

Hi,
Pelican - Shell's range of lubricants is first class. I have used earlier versions of Helix Ultra 5W-40 in various engines/cars including my Porsche collection of several years ago. Use it with confidence

Of course M1 0W-40 in the correct application is almost without an equal

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Of course M1 0W-40 in the correct application is almost without an equal

Yes M1 0W-40 has the well earned status of being the benchmark from which all 40 grade (and even some A3/A4 30 grade) oils are compared and virtually all fall short, with the possible exception of one or two more expensive race oriented oils (by a small margin) that have no manufacturer approvals.

Thank you Doug for the kind and reassuring words!
Believe it or not my engine is happier with 5W40 than 0W40. I did try Mobil 1 0W40 and the engine was a bit noisy at start up when I switched to 5W40 that noise disappeared, infact it was the dealer (MB owned) that told me that that's what they used in their cars.
I remember the days when oil was not so specific and any good brand in the appropriate weight would do. Now you must have a PhD in mechanical engineering to be able to make a choice.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back