Tire rotation at Mavis Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mavis Tire is a chain around the Mid-Hudson/Albany/Berkshires and more. I brought in my Dodge Ram with 194K on the clock for a tire rotation. While it was on the lift they called me over and said all 4 shocks were leaking and something I should have done soon, but not immediately. He rubbed some of the leaking fluid on his finger. But not a hard sell. Shocks are buy 3 get 1 free.

But I am pretty sure the "leaking fluid" is CarWell that I have sprayed under my truck. The shocks may be worn, but doubt all 4 are leaking.

In the end he said he gave me a deal on the rotation and it was on the house.

Interesting.

Mavis ... Discount tire ... America's discount tire store! They sell a lot of chinese tires, thats for sure! We have them out here too.

I had Kost tire fail my Jeep for inspection because the steering stabilizer was leaking transmission fluid and was bad.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Mavis ... Discount tire ... America's discount tire store! They sell a lot of chinese tires, thats for sure! We have them out here too.

Buy BFGoodrich then. Mine purchased two years ago says made in the USA.

I had Kost tire fail my Jeep for inspection because the steering stabilizer was leaking transmission fluid and was bad.

Do you feel that failure was justified?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Absolutely not. The transmission line directly above the steering stabilizer was leaking on it.

On top of that, they broke half of the interior trim panels "trying to find" the OBDII port.

Squirting some oil on shocks and declaring them failed is one of the oldest car repair scams.

Did your car bounce when driven over bumps? The bounce is caused by failed shocks. It is possible that they are leaking but don't yet bounce (soon will), but all four at the same stage???

Absolutely not. The transmission line directly above the steering stabilizer was leaking on it.

On top of that, they broke half of the interior trim panels "trying to find" the OBDII port.

Ahh. Good to know I'm not the only one running into really bad inspection stations.

Here in NYC some of them are absolutely wretched.

Our family has been buying tires at Mavis for 20+ years. We've always had good service from them.

Long Island is no better.

Ahh. Good to know I'm not the only one running into really bad inspection stations.

I can imagine! There's a lot of crooked folks down there! ... and everywhere, really

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Squirting some oil on shocks and declaring them failed is one of the oldest car repair scams.

Did your car bounce when driven over bumps? The bounce is caused by failed shocks. It is possible that they are leaking but don't yet bounce (soon will), but all four at the same stage???

Shocks were brand new. There was a legitimate transmission fluid leak, though. But that's not part of the inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back