TCW3 question with fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use penzoil synthetic tcw3 oil in my outboard motor I see a lot of comments about mixing it with fuel. what would the ratio for a 26 gallon tank be? I have a 2014 ecoboost Ford F-150

Last edited:
Waste of time. You gotta be careful of some of the advice on this forum, ESPECIALLY the fads such as the current one of putting two-stroke in your gas tank. Ridiculous. There's no way I'd put that in the tank if I had your truck. What's the OM say about additives in fuel? Why do you think you need it? You will wreck it or trade it in long before the engine wears out because of the amount of lubricity in the fuel you purchase.

Sorry, I mis-typed. Meant to say 1oz/5gal.

Some people report better fuel economy and easier starting, others say it does nothing, and another group suspect fouled spark plugs and failed O2 sensors..

Lubricity of the fuel is often mentioned by people who claim their fuel pump has gotten quieter and some think it helps combat the effects of ethanol.

In my head it could make sense that oil in fuel could promote a better ring seal, improving compression and torque while reducing blowby in the same way a wet compression test does, but at such a small ratio I wonder if it has a measurable effect.

It's widely accepted that tcw3 oils have good detergency so may be effective as a continued use, maintenance dose style cleaner..but ultimately..

It's your car. Do what you want with it. But just read the owners handbook first and see what it says about additives. They might effect your warranty.

My old 2 stroke outboard motor [premix] can be left for 2 years and the fuel does not gum up the carb. If I leave the lawn mower[4 stroke] for the same amount of time, the carb usually has problems. This is the only benefit I've seen with TCW3 in fuel.

I will comment--> I have been using a mixture of Pennzoil Marine TCW3 & Redline SI-1 in all our autos as well as all Lawn equipt and generator for many years.

Ratio-->1oz per 5 gallons.

We had my sons 08 5.4L 3V spark plugs changed before the summer started... They had 60K miles on them.

Every spark plug taken out was virtually Carbon Free along with No Fouling what so ever. Local Mechanic was Very Impressed with what he had seen. He used a bore scope to inspect the valves as well. All were very clean and carbon free.

He installed new plugs along with coils and had no issue telling me we can easily go 100K miles this time.

My sons 08 F150 now has 237K miles on her and running strong. Still running stock injectors and fuel pump.

I'm happy with using this fuel additive mixture.

I use this mixture in all our autos. Try to add it every fill up but some times it is every other.

Everyone has their different opinion on additives.

On the other hand (and not trying to be cute or difficult):

I will comment--> I have never used a mixture of Pennzoil Marine TCW3 & Redline SI-1 in any of our autos or Lawn equipt and generator for many years.

I have changed my 1MZ-FE spark plugs... They had 105K miles on them.

Every spark plug taken out was virtually Carbon Free along with No Fouling what so ever. I was was Very Impressed with what I had seen. I've had both the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold off at times and was able to inspect the valves as well. All were very clean and carbon free.

I installed new plugs and had no issue being certain I can easily go 100K miles again.

My 1MZ-FE now has 306K miles on her and running strong. Still running stock injectors and fuel pump (as does the 1NZ-FE at 226K miles).

I'm happy with using just top-tier fuel with no additional additives.

I do this in all our autos.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I will comment--> I have been using a mixture of Pennzoil Marine TCW3 & Redline SI-1 in all our autos as well as all Lawn equipt and generator for many years.

Ratio-->1oz per 5 gallons.

We had my sons 08 5.4L 3V spark plugs changed before the summer started... They had 60K miles on them.

Every spark plug taken out was virtually Carbon Free along with No Fouling what so ever. Local Mechanic was Very Impressed with what he had seen. He used a bore scope to inspect the valves as well. All were very clean and carbon free.

He installed new plugs along with coils and had no issue telling me we can easily go 100K miles this time.

My sons 08 F150 now has 237K miles on her and running strong. Still running stock injectors and fuel pump.

I'm happy with using this fuel additive mixture.

I use this mixture in all our autos. Try to add it every fill up but some times it is every other.

On the other hand (and not trying to be cute or difficult):

ROFL!

Everyone has their different opinion on additives!!

I'm happy with using additives since I don't have access to your (so called) top-tier fuel at every fill up.

Lots of people try different things and get different results because of it.
I dose my fuel with tc-w3/acetone,xylene,toluene mix at 200-1 ratio oil to gas.
I've been running this mix for many years now and no sensor issues yet nor do I expect any at that ratio.
I've got 16 5.5hp Honda powered air compressors and 7 or 8 generators(I forget exactly how many)
Anyway I've been running my fuel treatment in all my equipment for many years now. I've never had a single carb issue nor fuel issue and I've got compressors with 15000+ hours on the engine with just oil changes and mos2 every second oil change,so I'm doing something right.
With tc-w3 in the fuel the generators and compressors run longer between full ups and that's repeatable daily.
So it costs me pennies to use it and based on what I've seen with other crews equipment ours lasts longer,live longer and require less maintenance as a whole with this particular routine in place.
If it gains even a half mile per gallon it's paid for itself. And the idea does make sense.
I'm not saying engine require any additives at all. In the contrary they run just fine in cheap gas and cheap oil however I keep my equipment forever so if I can prolong their lives and inhibit carbon accumulation in the cylinders as well as eliminate ever having to touch the carbs then I'm all for it.
And my plugs are never fouled. No deposits ever when I change them.
So tc-w3 certainly isn't needed for an engine however in my experience over a very broad spectrum of its use in many engines I've found it certainly doesn't hurt and its use saves me money in servicing the stuff.
So no it's not required but it certainly doesn't hurt.

In my truck, I use on average about 1 oz TCW3 per 5 gallons of gasoline, but that can vary a bit. I've probably used up to 1 oz per 3 gallons and down to 1 oz per 10 gallons. 1 oz per 5 gallons seems to be about optimal.

In my lawnmower, I use a little stronger ratio of TCW3 at about 1 oz per 4 gallons.

I usually cut my TCW3 with xylene and/or Gumout Regane (PEA) (occasionally B12 Chemtool) to thin out the mix. Usually about 4 oz TCW3 and 2 oz solvent in a 6 oz bottle, to treat 20 gallons.

IMO it is beneficial in TBI and MPFI applications, but probably not as much in DI applications. I don't dose it into my DI engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back