Fluid Change in 2008 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend wants to change the tranny fluid in is '08 explorer but theres no dipstick...or fill hole. How would he go about doing this?

I love my second generation Explorer. It has a transmission dipstick. That '08 though, I don't know what the [censored] Ford was thinking but the drain/check/fill is all one plug and you need a special piece to go in the middle to "pump" fluid into it. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

Need more information. Which engine - 4.0 V6 or 4.6 V8? They have different transmissions.

The 6r60/80 behind the v8 has a mini dipstick in the fill plug (right next to the exhaust - careful!).

The 5r55 behind the v6 uses the tool described in the previous post.

If it's the 5R55, I used a 1/4" brass NPT fitting with a hose barb on one end to thread into the center drain plug. I then used a fluid pump for an outboard lower unit to pump from a gallon jug of Maxlife to refill. Worked great. No need for the expensive special tool, as the pump keep pressure on the fluid so it wouldn't drain back out of the trans.

It also works great to pull a line off of the cooler in the radiator and have the trans pump itself empty and then refill. Repeat 2 more times for a full exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back