Anyone else fed up with today's country music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: whip
The funny thing is rap and country are so similar. They both have simple lyrics about a supposed day in the life. Yet most diehard fans of each genre, dislike the other.........

Probably because they sound nothing alike. I can't understand what they're saying in most rap songs, so I certainly can't comment on the content, but take a song like Deanna Carter's "Strawberry Wine" or Jeff Carson's "The Car" and compare the rhythm and pace of those songs to a typical rap song and tell me if you can draw any comparison.

I can't. It's not that I dislike rap. I simply can't understand what they're saying. It's like trying to listen to a song in Yiddish. I'm sure the lyrics tell a story...I just can't understand what they're saying to hear it.

I'm not a fan of Waylon or CDB either. Many people consider that "real country", and maybe it is. I hear as much screaming and yelling in those songs as I do in many other genres. I like many of the mainstream artists, but I also like many of the not-so-mainstream, at least anymore. Like Deanna Carter, Chely Wright, Jeff Carson, Billy Dean, Joe Diffie, etc. The common thread is most of their stuff is understandable and with a depth of musical accompaniment that appeals to me. Slide guitars really check my box.

Of course, music is such a personal decision, like whether you like blue or red better, or whether you like dogs or cats. I think the best that fans of certain genres can hope for is not agreement over which is best but a simple acknowledgement that other genres are out there and that they have appeal to certain people. Statements like "country isn't music" or "rap isn't music" are never productive; they just act to further the divide among listeners.

I consider Vern Gosdin and John Conlee "real country".

Their music is about something other than hanging out with their "bros" and drinking and driving their brodozer pickup around.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Rap is usually-dreadful poetry recited to a rhythm that is generally on the complexity level of a nursery rhyme.

Just like country........

I'm sorry...when did you lose your hearing?

Rap is usually-dreadful poetry recited to a rhythm that is generally on the complexity level of a nursery rhyme.

*Modern country. I would agree.

There are stations broadcasting really "Classical" country on AM (Mostly Mom and Pop or locally owned stations) such as

http://www.kwmt.com/profile/KWMT

and go to "listen Live."

or KILJ

http://kilj.com/listen-live/

(you need SilverLight).

I find most of the FM country stations (largely owned by large comm. organizations) are broadcasting Hip-Hop and Heavy Metal country.

The problem with FM stations is they have "over" processed audio which can be fatiguing to the listener.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Meh it works good with Jimmy Buffet in the islands. I think the Zach Brown Band is quite good.

This one will [censored] people off as well, but I like it. I tested out the sound system in a new 9114S with it, sounded pretty good at about the top of third, lol.

I hope that 4S had Mossy Oak floor mats, a Duck Dynasty air freshener, and an open 6 pack of Bud in it.

Cruise is not actually country. Technically, it is a very poorly manufactured for radio hip hop song, but it does sum up the Brodozer bubblegum country culture.

I don't listen to modern country much, but occasionally I have too. I wouldn't mind it as much if the local friggin' station didn't play the exact SAME 10 SONGS everyday on the hour. You can set your watch to the opening notes of "Bartender"...
smile.gif

That being said, I like Lady Antebellum and love her voice...

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
There are stations broadcasting really "Classical" country on AM (Mostly Mom and Pop or locally owned stations) such as

and go to "listen Live."

or KILJ

(you need SilverLight).

I find most of the FM country stations (largely owned by large comm. organizations) are broadcasting Hip-Hop and Heavy Metal country.

The problem with FM stations is they have "over" processed audio which can be fatiguing to the listener.

While I do not like "New" country music- my tastes center on rock and blues, I enjoy listening to KWMT from time to time is it's already on someones radio.

I've also grown to like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and others like them.

Red Solo Cup. Dreadful lyrics set to a simple chord my 5 year old son can play, and played to the rhythm of a nursery rhyme.

Here is a song about turnin' up, gettin' down...

No jacked up Silverados though. Maybe Merle needed a few more feel good pills and red Gatorade.

I've never been a country music fan. New or old.

I don't care what anyone listens to, as long as when they're outside the comforts of their own home, they don't play it so loud you can hear it from a half-mile away.

Red Solo Cup. Dreadful lyrics set to a simple chord my 5 year old son can play, and played to the rhythm of a nursery rhyme.

No one song (Red Solo Cup certainly included) represents an entire genre of music. Every genre of music has incredibly gifted song writers and musicians, with rich and meaningful lyrics. Some songs have a lot of depth to them, and others are obviously written to be light and humorous.

As a father of two young daughters, the songs that pull at my heart are ones like "Stealing Cinderella", written and performed by Chuck Wicks, "I Loved Her First", performed by Heartland, and "You're Gonna Miss This", performed by Trace Adkins. And as car guys, I think any of us can appreciate the stories in "The Car" (Jeff Carson) or "Riding with Private Malone" (David Ball).

I'm certainly not telling you what to like or not like, but I can tell you that there's a whole lot more depth to the genre than the "brocountry" types of songs that seem to be popular on the radio today, and that songs like Red Solo Cup seem to typify.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Here is a song about turnin' up, gettin' down...

No jacked up Silverados though. Maybe Merle needed a few more feel good pills and red Gatorade.

See, I think I know what the problem with Merle was. I don't think he had his stone washed, pre-worn, already torn wranglers on with his pant legs slit. If you don't have your pant legs split you just can't be country. Also, Merle had shirt sleeves on his shirts, you have to cut your shirt sleeves off or else you can't throw down.

H
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

and go to "listen Live."

or KILJ

(you need SilverLight).

While I do not like "New" country music- my tastes center on rock and blues, I enjoy listening to KWMT from time to time is it's already on someones radio.

I've also grown to like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash and others like them.

Growing up my dad had all those 8 tracks and I hated it. Drove me nuts. Made me turn Metallica up even louder.
Til I got older. Don't get me wrong,I'm still cranking up soundgarden however when I hear mama don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys does bring a tear to my eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back