Seem like antique old school guy dont give a rat .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Older Ferrari V-12s have two Fram filters. One full flow filter and one bypass filter - with the restriction orifice built in. Different thread sizes make it impossible to inadvertently swap fitters during servicing.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Yep, old school, hence "oldhp". Back in the "day" it was FRAM and Pennzoil 10W40. You couldn't go wrong with that combo......back then.

I though it was Valvoline

Not where & when I grew up anyway. See my prior post this thread.

Any assumption us "old schoolers" don't change our own oil any more is pure bunk too. I think we're far less likely to use do-it-for-me oil change places than youngsters
smirk.gif

BTW, I like the green Superbird.

Last edited:
Time and sitting unused are the biggest enemy of old cars, not oil filters. Just about any filter today is better or at least equal to what was available when these cars were new.
My old Studebaker and Packard never had a filter and they still run fine for their current owners. Most collector cars and show vehicles really don't rack up any miles and get oil+filter changed often.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Car shows are time capsules for the way things used to be. And it used to be, you'd run an orange fram and think nothing more!

I found a 1989 Fram at a yard sale that still had a Zayre price tag of $3.49, minimum wage was $3.20 back then. That filter would be $8 (or $15
crackmeup2.gif
) today!

Nostalgia is why these guys haven't refitted fuel injection, which would be better for the oil/engine, or why they haven't ripped (whatever) out and put in an LSx.

I agree. I liked the simplicity of the 60s and early 70s cars. I wonder why anyone would want change the original type engine to a fuel injected LS. They were reliable back in the day and a lot easier to fix. Just not very fuel efficient.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Yep, old school, hence "oldhp". Back in the "day" it was FRAM and Pennzoil 10W40. You couldn't go wrong with that combo......back then.

I though it was Valvoline

It was Valvoline 10W-20W-30W-40 in the cooler months and 20W-50 in the summer--had to be protected you know

Back then (here in FL) it was 20w50... year 'round, Baby! No wussyfootin' around with no 10w-whatever. Didn't matter if it was my 454 Nova or my DD Corolla... it got Castrol 20w50!

LOL

Wish I knew then what I know now.

My father in law will argue to the death for Fram. My old man taught auto shop and it was Fram in the Fords with SAE 30 in the cans with that handy funnel that made the hole. He ran Valvoline or Havoline. Steered clear of east coast oils.

Changed the oil regularly and saw 150,000 + miles out of those cars. I miss those days when you could fix something without thousands worth of scopes and meters.

Originally Posted By: dieselbass

Changed the oil regularly and saw 150,000 + miles out of those cars. I miss those days when you could fix something without thousands worth of scopes and meters.

And everything in the engine compartment was readily accessible.

We never used spouts or funnels with something already added to puncture the can lids. Just a can opener (the V shaped one, like you used for juice) or a screwdriver.

It really may not matter. Odds are the car will be totaled before the oil filter choice makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Back then (here in FL) it was 20w50... year 'round, Baby! No wussyfootin' around with no 10w-whatever. Didn't matter if it was my 454 Nova or my DD Corolla... it got Castrol 20w50!

LOL

What difference did the oil viscosity make?

Seem like antique old school guys dont give a rat A** about, what oil filter they using. I just went to a biggest car show of the years, over 300+ cars. When I come to see an engine, first thing I look for is Oil filter. and 80% of those antique / high horse power / super charger taller then the wind shield. They running regular fram oil filter ( orange can ), I look over 100 cars, never seen any high dollar oil filter ( mobil 1, K&N...AMSOIL...RP...Ultra ). Seen an gone in 60 second mustang clone using purolator classic... some I see still using really old discontinue fram oil filter..

made me think ( dont take offensive here for all the old school fold, I very respect elder here ), it made me think, elder cars owners dont change their own oil any more, and just take to the local shop for an oil change mabe ?

The FRAM Tech team travels all summer long to the Hot Rod Power Tour, Car Craft Summer Nationals and many other car shows. The majority of car owners use and love FRAM. why? Because they work and protect the investment and the OG's know it. I have met thousands of people over the last two summers that have used FRAM for generations and all have stories of that car that went 300k, 400k and even alot farther. Using old and discontinued filters can be shakey of they are not stored properly but even if they do, we stand behind the product period/

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Using old and discontinued filters can be shakey of they are not stored properly but even if they do, we stand behind the product period/

Can you give us the specific guidelines for properly storing oil filters?

I always thought if the filter manufacturer thought their container was appropriate to store their filters in until use that would be sufficient for the customer to store their filters in until use.

But then came along M1 5W-20 and not only didn't the engine blow, it ran better than ever.

Originally Posted By: chainblu

LOL

Originally Posted By: topbliss
These 'old school' guys have limited computer access for the most part so they really have no clue about what other filters are out there.

Limited computer access? "Old school" guys?

Driving a classic doesn't mean one is stuck with 1967 or 1957 or 1917 technology in all areas of life, I think. Heck, I bet most of those guys are there in the first place because they learned of the show via the 'ol internets thing.

Yeah, someone's got their assumptions twisted. Most grandparents I know love using their computers to keep up with their grandchildrens' lives.

I see a lot of speculation as to why these old school dudes would run an OCOD, but I haven't seen the most significant reason yet.

The orange Fram filter is period correct on these classic cars, while also being a modern filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back