iPhone 5s or 6? What say you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh I am not worried about the bending and all that. I don't usually put it in my pants pockets any way, and if I do, never in BACK pockets, and NEVER sit with phone in pocket.
A sturdy case should help somewhat. Wife's is always in her purse.
One can always return within a certain time too.

It was always clear to me it was a verizon card, i thought that would be obvious that's why i didn't mention it.
IDK what verizon rep talked to Hokiefyd's wife/him, but the rebate process sounded different to me - perhaps our rep in store was mistaken and the rebate is not instant. Even if it's not, I am confident that our phones will meet the conditions set by Verizon online, as they're in great condition and that we will get full amount back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
IDK what verizon rep talked to Hokiefyd's wife/him, but the rebate process sounded different to me - perhaps our rep in store was mistaken and the rebate is not instant.

Verizon's website confirms that the money from the trade-in program is not instant:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/trade_in_program.html

It was not initially clear to us that they were essentially giving Verizon store credit (it could have been a Visa gift card or something), but the website also confirms what the Verizon store rep told my wife: it's Verizon store/account credit.

I had to walk one of my secretaries through this offer, who also saw the "free" Verizon mailer on the 6, and was excited to get her "free iPhone".

It looks like an enhanced trade-in offer, and nothing more. Getting $200 for a 4s is nice, but the new phone is definitely not "free". The credit is about the same as the down price for a base 6 model (16gb). So you give up a working phone to cover the down money. That's the free part - if you consider giving up a working phone free. But you still pay the $200 up front until the credit is processed. And you must commit to a contract, and the balance of the new phone price is built into the payments.

You're not getting a new 6 for free here, let alone for $200.

When you see offers like this, it reinforces my opinion that buying a phone through a provider is like financing a used car buy - hidden costs at every turn disguised as "deals".

A clean, working 4s is still worth $200 to me, so I'm not sure this would be a deal for me at all.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
IDK what verizon rep talked to Hokiefyd's wife/him, but the rebate process sounded different to me - perhaps our rep in store was mistaken and the rebate is not instant.

Verizon's website confirms that the money from the trade-in program is not instant:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/trade_in_program.html

It was not initially clear to us that they were essentially giving Verizon store credit (it could have been a Visa gift card or something), but the website also confirms what the Verizon store rep told my wife: it's Verizon store/account credit.

update: Got our iphone 6(x2) activated, and turned in our old 4s phones, and the rebate WAS INSTANT. It was applied to our monthly bill, per our request.
(I guess if you want it in form of a Verizon gift card you have to wait?? I forgot to ask that.)

So far, very happy with the phone; so much faster than the 4s, and much better camera although I don't consider that a promary function. Lots of pic adjustments too.
Verizon LTE is 2x faster than our home wifi - 41 down / 6.1 up on speed test in a pretty restrictive bldg where other people hardly get a signal even.

How are you adjusting to the size so far?.....one handed typing, pocketability, bigger screen real estate, etc.

I just upgraded my 4S to the 5S myself... I save more money by sticking behind a generation and am not dialed into any contract. My brother just sells me his phone (he upgrades to each new iPhone) so it works out well. How my contract is now, I save $15-20 per month bring my own phone vs. contract, so each year I save $200+ by not buying a new phone and extending my contract.

I don't notice any real difference from the 4S to 5S to be honest. Nothing worthwhile at least. I will say this, I prefer the size of the 4S over the 5S... The 5S is already getting too lengthy, the 6 would drive me insane let alone the 6+... I don't understand the interest in such large tablet/phones. I would be far more excited if they came out with a smaller phone than larger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
How are you adjusting to the size so far?.....one handed typing, pocketability, bigger screen real estate, etc.

Very well, actually, I am already used to the size AND like it.
It still fits in all my pockets without any problem. Going from 4s to 6 is a big increase in screen area and it's nice to have. Took a BIT of getting used to on/off/lock button being on the side but now I am (and wife) used to it.
Battery life is phenomenal. I am using the finger print ID to lock/unlock a lot more often than i thought I would.
All in all, a smooth transition, and so far very happy with the build, speed and features.

I got the iPhone 6. Moving from my iPhone 4s and using wife's iPhone 5 my thoughts:

The screen real estate is wonderful and still a reasonable size that fits in my pocket. The iPhone 4s was so stupid with wasted plastic on the front.

Otherwise comparing iPhone 4s with iOs8 to new one. Simply nicer/clearer usable screen, able to use the web on Verizon LTE, wonderfully responsive and great Camera. Nothing earth shattering but nice.

Email is significantly easier to work with and google hangouts(work video conferencing) is now stable.

The verizon $200 trade-in for iPhone 4s led me to getting a new + dire need of new battery in it.

I went to an iPhone store yesterday to look at the 6 and 6+. I still came out liking the smaller 5s/5c. The 5c is most comfortable to hold without a case. Anyways, I also noticed that the camera on the 6 seemed slower than the 5s in taking sequential shots (I.e. Pressing shutter speed manually vs holding on to it). The 6 was hesitating in between shots while the 5s would just fire off when you press it. Anyone observed this?

Last edited:
I have handled 5s camera some time ago, and now own a 6.
I don't notice any hesitation when taking sequential photos with the 6. I think it's really fast. No problems with wife's either.
Must be a defective phone that you handled at the store...

Ok, it might just be me too. I noticed that the 5s would prefocus first with the yellow box on the screen then you could press away and not,get hesitation as long as you don't move the camera. It'll stay focused. The 6 I handled had the focusing box but would prefocus each time I pressed the button even when the phone wasn't moved, hence the hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back