Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using RP for a while now. Change the oil, take it for a 10 mile spin and check dipstick and oil is golden brown. Hope this can ease your mind a bit.

Thanks for the reply.. i would understand if it turned brown the day after or after 10 miles... but in my case.. i checked the oil before driving off the dealership.. so im guessing.. the technician put in oil then after everything was done.. parked the van in the lot.. So there wasnt a lot driving involved.. i dont think the engine was even running for more than 5 minutes though and it wasn't even driven for more than 1k km....

So the purple dye can be gone in less than 5 minutes?

I'm thinking of maybe getting another 6qts RP HPS 5w30 and go to maybe Mr LUBe or a shop where i can see them pour in the oil into my engine...Maybe gonna do it next week?

So let say if i go for another oil change next week... after the oil change .. i check my dipstick and its like Purple then after a day gonna check again then maybe check it for the next few days just to see if the purple dye is still present or not...

So if my engine oil is purple right after the service and stays purple after the first day... can we conclude that the technician that works for my local chrysler dealership screwed me over and the purple dye doesn't disappear that fast?

1zp39fa.jpg

Here's a pic.. As you can see the bottom left is the bnew RP HPS 5w30 from the bottle.. The top right is the oil currently in my engine which is supposedly RP HPS 5w30.. See the color difference? What do you think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mauric3
Thanks for the reply.. i would understand if it turned brown the day after or after 10 miles... but in my case.. i checked the oil before driving off the dealership.. so im guessing.. the technician put in oil then after everything was done.. parked the van in the lot.. So there wasnt a lot driving involved.. i dont think the engine was even running for more than 5 minutes though and it wasn't even driven for more than 1k km....

So the purple dye can be gone in less than 5 minutes?

I'm thinking of maybe getting another 6qts RP HPS 5w30 and go to maybe Mr LUBe or a shop where i can see them pour in the oil into my engine...Maybe gonna do it next week?

So let say if i go for another oil change next week... after the oil change .. i check my dipstick and its like Purple then after a day gonna check again then maybe check it for the next few days just to see if the purple dye is still present or not...

So if my engine oil is purple right after the service and stays purple after the first day... can we conclude that the technician that works for my local chrysler dealership screwed me over and the purple dye doesn't disappear that fast?

Here's a pic.. As you can see the bottom left is the bnew RP HPS 5w30 from the bottle.. The top right is the oil currently in my engine which is supposedly RP HPS 5w30.. See the color difference? What do you think?

What you are proposing is a waste of $$$. You've established so far, that the oil in the sump is new oil. Run it oil for the full interval, then take it to a shop and watch them pour the new RP in. Or better yet, as some others have suggested, do the oil change yourself.

I seriously doubt it would change color before you leave the dealership. That's just hard to believe.

just get a UOA if you are paranoid about it. If this is HPS with synerlec, it will be very easy to spot in a UOA. Any cheapo kit will work since you'd only be looking at add package and not TBN, TAN, etc.

The oil likely changed color. When they start it to fill the filter and top off is one start. Then they likely drove it out of the shop, that's two starts And probably a couple minutes of running. That's plenty of time for RP to turn Brown. When I used RP it was Brown after the first start up.

I wouldn't accuse them of stealing, because that likely isn't the case. the only time I've ever seen RP purple was when it comes out of the bottle the first time.

The only way u will know what kind of oil goes into it vehicle is to diy oil change....or watch the dude pour the oil in.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I would not let there be a next time!
Go back to them and tell them you dont think they put in your 10.00 a qt oil
Let them explain why it is not purple
They owe you your oil
I would go elsewhere next time or diy

I wouldn't be in such a hurry accusing the OC shop of theft without proof. As stated by several here, RP turns brown very quick.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd be more concerned with the fact that they have been conning you into changing your synthetic oil at 6k kms. Now that's a crime, especially if you've been using RP HPS all the while.

How do you like the HPS 5w30 in your civic. I'm thinking of using the 5w20 hps in my 01 civic since I would like to get at least 250k out of it.
Amazon has it on prime.
Thanks

I am taking his word that he checked before leaving the lot
I dont think it would turn brown that soon and he said it was not a light brown
Maybe there was enough dye left that it made it darker,dont know
When i take my wifes car in with my oil and filter I always watch
The shop I use doesnt mind and only charges 12 bucks

HPS 5w30 on the k20 is pretty good i think... Not sure if i actually felt any difference but the car seems to be quieter at startup.. Also just want the synerlec additive that it has...

The past few changes .. the technician would actually put full synth on the sticker and interval would be after 6k.. if its dino oil.. it would be always 5k since that's what they recommend..So the technician made a mistake by not putting full synth and change the interval to 6k.. If he had done that.. i wouldn't have checked the oil before leaving the dealership... my last fill was HPS 5w30 as well and i ran the oil for 8k+ kms...

the last service i had also asked me to get my service done after 5k and the sticker on the window didn't have any full synth written on it.. that's why it made me think.. was there a chance that my previous 6qts of RP HPS 5w30 wasn't put into my engine as well..

I actually checked the oil before i left the dealership cause when i got in.. the sticker on my window didn't have any full synth and interval was set at 5k km.. so i was like that's not right... thats why i decided to check my oil before starting the engine and to my surprise .. the oil wasn't purple.. it was light brown/brown...

I know that dumping the oil in a week is a waste of money but i just wanted to see if the RP HPS 5w30 would actually turn brown that fast like what people have been saying here in this thread...

If after the oil change the oil is still purple and after a day it stays the same color.. i can safely say that the technician didn't put the oil into my engine.. either he forgot and didn't bother draining the bulk oil and putting my oil or he deliberately put in the bulk oil and kept the HPS 5w30 for himself...

I guess i just want to change the oil asap so at least i know if i could still trust my local chrysler dealership...

FYI i don't think we can get the HPS 5w30 here in Richmond/Vancouver BC Canada locally...we can only get the API license RP oil at Canadian tire... THe hmx high mileage, hps are usually found online like amazon..

Next service.. if i still go to the dealership. i will definitely ask for the empty bottles of my oil and try to find a way to watch what the technician is actually doing to our minivan...

The Ford quick lube lanes are usually pretty good for visibility. The Great Canadian Oil Change quick lube chain is pretty protective of their reputation and would be about the only quick lube place I'd trust, if I trusted any of them.
wink.gif

@mauric3 if for warranty purposes, the manufacturer mandated OCI is 5000km, it makes little to no sense to run an expensive boutique oil for such a short run.

I gather DIY is not an option for you, as you have not acknowledged this suggestion from multiple users in this thread. If so, I like Garak's suggestion of GCOC -- they are reliable and you shouldn't have a problem.

Find an Indy shop. Most will let you mingle and talk shop with them while they change your oil. This way you build rapport as well as have peace of mind knowing the right oil is in the sump.

Originally Posted By: mauric3
GCOC is pretty far from where i live.. \

That's unfortunate. Take Deven's suggestion and find a good indy shop. There are usually some. Ask a few cabbies who they use would be my suggestion.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
The oil likely changed color. When they start it to fill the filter and top off is one start. Then they likely drove it out of the shop, that's two starts And probably a couple minutes of running. That's plenty of time for RP to turn Brown. When I used RP it was Brown after the first start up.

I wouldn't accuse them of stealing, because that likely isn't the case. the only time I've ever seen RP purple was when it comes out of the bottle the first time.

This ^^^

I have run RP for decades and it does change over to brown very fast. "Most" shops start the vehicle and let it sit and idle for 5-10 minutes to reach operating temp after the OC, as they should, before shutting it down to check the oil level and get an accurate reading. Then they top it off as needed and may even run it a little longer before driving it outside.

I have seen the RP purple dye vanish within 10 minutes of being added. All it takes is the engine reaching normal operating temp for just a couple minutes and it burns off. It truly does happen that fast. Unless they dumped the oil and immediately drove outside the dye should have been gone by the time you checked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back