Oil wieght for 360 magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running valvoline synpower 5w-30. But I was wondering if it would benefit from a thicker oil like 5w-40. Not thicker on the cold start but thicker in the constant run part.

A good place to start is your hot oil pressure. Is 5W-30 giving you enough oil pressure at hot engine temps is what you gotta ask yourself.

I might just run Mobil 1 0w-40, I would rather run Mobil 1 then castrol.
Would everyone here agree that a 5w-40 synthetic oil be better for my engine then a 5w-30 synthetic oil?

Originally Posted By: pjc360
Would everyone here agree that a 5w-40 synthetic oil be better for my engine then a 5w-30 synthetic oil?

Yeah I would agree but that's because I'm a thick oil person.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you are seeing -30, the 0w-40 is the product you want in the pan. It is literally HALF as thick at that temperature as the 5w-40.

That's a new one on me; I didn't know that.
smile.gif

Yup, as per the halving rule, when you are down near CCS/MRV temperatures every 5C the viscosity is doubled/halved (depending on which direction you are going). I've seen a few PDS's that list CCS at multiple temperature and this generally holds true. So if you take the CCS value for a 0w-40 @ -35C, cut it in half and you have roughly the visc at -30C, to compare to a 5w-40.

So, we don't know the CCS for M1 0w-40, but we know it is below 6,200cP @ -35C. Let's say it is 6,000cP, at -30C it would be ~3,000cP. In comparison, Valvoline 5w-40 (MST or HST) is 5,900cP, essentially twice as thick. At -25C, the 0w-40 is ~1,500cP, while the 5w-40 is close to 3,000cP. Eventually the curves start to get closer to each other (as you approach 0) and then our next plot point is 40C where the 0w-40 is still thinner, but only by like 5cSt, and once we get to 100C, the 0w-40 and the HST are the same visc. The 0w-40 is actually thicker at 100C than the MST.

My oil pressure has stayed the same ever since my father bought the engine brand new. Hot idle is 20 to 25 psi, cruising down the highway at 65 is 45 to 50 and if you poor the coals to it the oil pressure will go up to 60 to 65 psi. And I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it. One thing I have noticed with it though is when it's idling hot in neutral the oil pressure is always 25 psi and when you pull it into drive with your foot on the brake with the engine hot and idling in gear it will drop to 15 to 20 psi, the lowest I have seen hot in gear idle oil pressure go to is 15 psi.

That's normal, as pressure will drop with RPM. Even the small drop from neutral to drive, at that RPM, will have a somewhat significant effect on pressure.

Really, that's not bad oil pressure. It will be a bit higher with the 0w-40.

Well I found Mobil 1 0w-40 oil at my local wal-mart. They have it in the 5 quart jugs for 25.17, my pan holds 6 quarts and the filter holds 3/4 of a quart. I am most likely going to make the switch to this oil on my next oil change. Is this Mobil 1 0w-40 a better oil then the valvoline synpower 5w-30? How many miles can be put on the Mobil 1 0w-40 oil?

Mobil 1 0W40 is a long drain oil designed for European vehicles. It's a 10,000+ mile oil for most fuel injected applications but you're running a carb which could limit your intervals. I wouldn't be confident recommending an interval without a baseline used oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0W40 is a long drain oil designed for European vehicles. It's a 10,000+ mile oil for most fuel injected applications but you're running a carb which could limit your intervals. I wouldn't be confident recommending an interval without a baseline used oil analysis.

This. I'd sample at 5K and see how fuel and TBN are. Work your way up from there.

Quote:

Does any oil company make 0w-40 other then Exxon/Mobil?

Redline, Royal Purple, Liqui-Moly, Castrol, Pennzoil; most not easy to find except perhaps Castrol.

Last edited:
I see Amsoil makes a 0w-30 oil in thier signature series brand but the Mobil 1 would be a lot cheaper through wal-mart. And I am still on the fence about running a 30 or 40 weight oil. The 40 weight will bring better oil pressure, does that mean a longer lasting engine?

I see Amsoil makes a 0w-30 oil in thier signature series brand but the Mobil 1 would be a lot cheaper through wal-mart. And I am still on the fence about running a 30 or 40 weight oil. The 40 weight will bring better oil pressure, does that mean a longer lasting engine?

No. But it has a higher concentration of anti-wear additives so that has the potential to. Remember, this oil is designed to last European drain intervals, some of which are insanely long, and do so in very high power density engines like those found in a Porsche or Mercedes AMG.

I will go ahead and make the switch to Mobil 1 0w-40 on my next oil change and I will sample it at 5 thousand miles as suggested.i looked at valvoline synpower 5w-40 and I couldn't find it cheaper then 10 bucks a quart online. So it's ether pay 70 bucks for synpower 5w-40 or 35 to 40 bucks for Mobil 1 0w-40 that's available at my local wal-mart. So that's an easy choice. I do have an Amsoil dealer near me that would be able to get me the Amsoil signature series 0w-30 but it would be at least 10 bucks a quart too. So right now I am leaning towords making the switch to Mobil 1 0w-30. I will ask my local Amsoil dealer what the price is on the signature series 0w-30 is.

I was gonna recommend a 40 weight from the get go, but I was trying to remain neutral in an effort to avoid the inevitable flame thrower.
grin2.gif

Sorry leaning towords the Mobil 1 0w-40.

You'll be in good shape. Change it every 5,000 miles or annually, and consider a UOA to check for fuel and TBN.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
On the other side of the equation you have a carburetor which could cause fuel dilution. I'm not sure 5W-30 could handle the fuel dilution.

It can handle the fuel dilution fine, assuming the carb isn't pooched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back