2 piece engine block on Ford's new 2.7 EcoBoost V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds cool, I'll let the early adapters let me know how good or bad it is.
27.gif

I was told that this scheme allowed them to optimize the structure. If they used this same shape in one piece it could not be removed from the mold without destroying the mold itself and there would be several pieces trapped inside the casting. This is going to be the future technology in engine castings.

Interesting development. The sealing between the upper and lower blocks looks like a bit of a nightmare, but I assume the overall advantages were worth it.

yep, this is old news but interesting.

I like their use of compacted graphite iron (CGI) as well, it's an incremental improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

This engine is highly stressed, thus it had better be made well...

The Cadillac Northstar also used a two-piece engine block, and it was for rigidity. What I find interesting on the Ford design is it still uses individual bearing caps, which doesn't take advantage of that potential benefit. The Northstar engine's lower block half had the bearing caps cast right in...so it was an incredibly solid structure. The Popular Mechanics website claims saved weight with Ford's "hybrid" design. Could be. I do wonder why they didn't follow through and cast the bearing caps straight into the lower girdle.

And seal issues were somewhat common on the Northstar between the two case halves. We'll see if Ford has that problem as the engines age.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
It has a plastic oil pan. I was wondering when we'd see those.

OTR 18 wheelers have had them for a while.

No bushings on the wrist pins....wow....that'd make me cringe. Also, won't there be problems where the aluminum and iron meet? i.e....the infamous 5.4 engine that spit out spark plugs...iron plugs on aluminum heads???

I know iron takes longer to heat up, but for us long distance drivers I don't see what aluminum heads buy us. I guess something or they wouldn't use it.

Things going around in circles? I recall reading how Henry Ford was a pioneer in making monoblocks. I guess that idea hasn't panned out in the end.

Still amazed at the thought of a 2.7L V6 in a full sized truck. Making 300hp no less.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
No bushings on the wrist pins....wow....that'd make me cringe. Also, won't there be problems where the aluminum and iron meet? i.e....the infamous 5.4 engine that spit out spark plugs...iron plugs on aluminum heads???

Doesn't any engine with aluminum heads have that iron-to-aluminum interface with the spark plugs? As I recall, Ford's problem with some of the Modulars was the strength of the spark plug threads due to cutting so few of them. I don't recall the iron-to-aluminum interface being the root cause.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe

That was because of the three threads, not the dissimilar metals. We've had steel plugs in aluminum heads since the flat head (maybe earlier?).

Meh, I have a 2.7tt that makes 310hp and it was made in 2003. From the factory, it only made 250hp, but that was at 9psi which was conservative for insurance purposes. The block is quite strong and can support up to 500hp. I don't know off hand if it's a two piece block, but it is iron with aluminum heads.

Don't old Triumph motorcycles have a seam right down the middle of the engine?

Look for the oil puddle, then up, and that's it, right?
laugh.gif

it is missing the point comparing what Ford have done here with the many, many other engine designs that have a split block at the crank centerline.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
it is missing the point comparing what Ford have done here with the many, many other engine designs that have a split block at the crank centerline.

Ya, it's more accurate to call it block and girdle,than two piece block.All the cyl bores are of the same casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back