2015 VW GTI, one of the best under $30k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard some people say it's the best car under $30k. I've never been a fan of VW. I don't know what to think of the latest GTI. From everything I read, it's fantastic. Interior is superior to anything in it's class, including the new WRX.

http://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/gti

Highs:
The steering wheel, the shifter, the seats, the engine, the gearbox, the chassis, and pretty much the whole car.

Lows:
They’re not issued at birth, pedals spaced too widely for heel-and-toeing.

I test drove one and I absolutely loved it. Felt like a $40K car easily. The same day I test drove that I sat in a new WRX.....did not have the feeling of even being in the same class. There was no comparison for interior quality feel and lay out IMO. I did not get to drive the WRX unfortunately.

You get used to the pedal spacing. All of your listed "highs" are why I bought mine. The overall quality of the car felt like a bargain for the price.

all of the German cars have a different DNA than other brands. they strive to be a driver's car. engineering can be very good, but different than what we are accustomed to. long term, parts and repairs can be expensive. there are too many preferences and variables to identify "the best car" (of any category) basically there are so many good choices out there - it's a wonderful time for car lovers!

Meh, IMHO the Focus ST is a bit more affordable and is remarkably close if not better in fit and finish that the GTI

If the WRX was a hatch, it would be the best.
If the GTI was AWD, it would be the best.

Both are a compromise for me, hence I'm darn glad I bought a 2014 WRX Limited Hatch !

I'm coming up on 1 year with the car and still love it. One thing with the WRX, and maybe I'm slow, but it takes a goodly while to really appreciate how to drive the car, I'm talking months.

had an 01 jetta 200,000 excellent miles, not stock of course. best $$$ was the LSD i had installed. the GTI will have a performance package avail soon, $1500 gets an LSD + brembos + 10 hp, a real steal!! the big power comes from an APR download about $700, how about 316 hp + 381 ft lb TQ WOW what an upgrade!!! caution on the clutch life for sure. go to goapr.com for the brutal numbers!! also tested an 01 WRX before i bought my jetta, yes quite cheaply built!!! AWD is a plus but a mechanical LSD transforms a FWD quite well!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Meh, IMHO the Focus ST is a bit more affordable and is remarkably close if not better in fit and finish that the GTI

The focus rentals I've had have been excellent. But we love our vw, and I'd consider buying a gtd in no heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Both are a compromise for me, hence I'm darn glad I bought a 2014 WRX Limited Hatch !

What did the fictional Dr. Niles Crane say about hatchbacks - when did they start naming automobiles after their worst features?
wink.gif
Oh, and he called it a hunchback.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Pablo

What did the fictional Dr. Niles Crane say about hatchbacks - when did they start naming automobiles after their worst features?
wink.gif
Oh, and he called it a hunchback.

lol, I think I saw that episode recently. Slowly working our way through that series on Netflix.

The GTI is a very nice car and a drivers car for sure. Best under $30k? Not by a mile just because of the lack of space. I couldn't justify that much coin for a car that small.

Originally Posted By: buster
What about reliability?

My particular GTI has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

That said, there are a number of well documented weak spots of varying severity.

For example, the two most commonly replaced parts on my particular GTI seem to be the intake manifold and fuel injectors. However, VW stepped up to the plate and extended the warranties on those specific items to beyond 100k miles and 10 years.

People say that the water pumps fail often, but my personal observation is that the car doesn't seem to be more likely to puke a water pump than most other vehicles. At least with this one the water pump is in an extremely easy to access location just under the intake manifold on the transmission side of the engine.

In the early MkVI GTIs, such as mine, there is the extremely rare chance that a timing chain tensioner could fail and nuke the engine. VW revised the part and it is not a problem on newer ones; I haven't lost any sleep over this.

The last one I can think of is the early throwout bearing / clutch slave cylinder assembly in the MkVI weren't the best, but if you had one that was problematic it made itself known early and was replaced by a revised part that's much better.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I couldn't justify that much coin for a car that small.

Maybe for someone who buys cars by the pound.

Gti is actually quite spacious and the hatch is very practical. It'll hold larger items than even a full size sedan.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: badtlc
I couldn't justify that much coin for a car that small.

Maybe for someone who buys cars by the pound.

Gti is actually quite spacious and the hatch is very practical. It'll hold larger items than even a full size sedan.

I chose the GTI over the BRZ because of this. I can haul 3 small RC planes in my 3-door GTI. I don't think I could have gotten one of them in the BRZ. I couldn't find a better car for my use. I drove a WRX and liked it, but didn't like that it had too many doors, and lower gas milage. The AWD Golf R was nice but again a big hit on gas milage. So I bought the GTI and a year and a half later, still love to drive it. Just like everything else, it's not for everybody, thats why they make different cars. You drive what YOU like. Don't look for consensus here, you'll not find it.

Last edited:
If I was replacing my MS3 with another FWD car(doubtful) the GTI S with Xenons and the Performance Pack would be at the top of my list.

Originally Posted By: buster
What about reliability?

My brother has a 2013. He has had to replace coil packs, water pump and get a couple of electrical issues fixed before he hit 20k. The electrical gremlins will come with time. It is unavoidable with German cars. 2 of the tires also came mounted the wrong direction and they are asymmetric tread. VW dealers refused to fix it for free.

Super fun car to drive and the interior/leather is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back