KIA and Honda 0 or 5/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
beating a dead horse here but I have to put it out there.
KIA says 5/20, Honda 0/20 not wanting to have 2 oils to buy/keep track of.
checked KIA on the 0/20 no real help/info on there.
given a choice either will due PP,M1 or Amsoil.
thoughts...............

Unless KIA has made a big change recently 0w anything is nowhere in your manual. It would seem a poor choice to me to void that wonderful KIA warranty because you can't keep track of two oils.

I didn't read your signature, didn't see it was still under warranty. Yes just buy 2 different oils. Not really a big deal.

2014 Sonata
My Hyundai dealership used the 0w20 i brought in and didnt flinch. The receipt says 'oil and filter change' thats it. Nor do they keep track of previous viscosity used. I know this because I asked for the previous record. They only keep track of the oci. This being said, I got the 0w out of my blood now so I'll be going back to 5w.

can't go wrong with amsoil signature series, real synthetic group iv + v oil

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Since you're in NY where it gets cold, 0w20 PP/M1 which ever is cheaper.

5w20 PP/M1 will work just as well in NY.

I have two Hyundai Sonatas and justcdid my yearly Amsoil Signature oil changes. In one Sonata is Amsoil 0W20 and other one Amsoil 5W20.
Done two UOA for both oils....about 23 000 kms oci for both oils .

I will post the results for comparison.

0W-20 flows faster than most 5W-20s even at room temperature...and certainly at 0 deg F weather. There's little reason to not use 0W-20 if you're going to use a 20 grade and will be buying synthetic anyway. If your choice is between 0W-20 and a cheaper conventional 5W-20, then that's different...

If you have to buy one oil, I'd buy 0W-20. M1 says it's safe in all 5W-20 applications. And I tend to believe that, at least in M1 flavors, - the 0W-20 AFE is better than the 5W-20. These days, I'd just use 5W-20 if I was sticking with dino or a blend like Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
If you have to buy one oil, I'd buy 0W-20. M1 says it's safe in all 5W-20 applications. And I tend to believe that, at least in M1 flavors, - the 0W-20 AFE is better than the 5W-20. These days, I'd just use 5W-20 if I was sticking with dino or a blend like Motorcraft.

I've seen the M1 assurance for 0w30 being acceptable in 5w30 and 10w30 applications right on the M1 bottle/jug. The 0w20 bottles/jugs show no such assurances. But from a practical standpoint, I agree, it should be just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

I've seen the M1 assurance for 0w30 being acceptable in 5w30 and 10w30 applications right on the M1 bottle/jug. The 0w20 bottles/jugs show no such assurances. But from a practical standpoint, I agree, it should be just fine.

Wrong, it says it right on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: pair of Blazers
bthoughts...............

Eat sandwich from any side, same result. Don't pay attention on marketing tricks.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Wrong, it says it right on the bottle.

Really? Where? i'm looking at a jug right now and i don't see it. 0w30 says it on the front, 0w20? Don't see it. Although i do see the wording on the M1 website.

Last edited:

It's in the PDS. Here is a link.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

Originally Posted By: tig1

It's in the PDS. Here is a link.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

gregk24 said i was 'wrong' about this statement not being printed on the 0w20 bottle/jugs; It isn't. I have seen the assurance on their website as well tig1, but thanks for the fyi nonetheless. My assertion is not that it isnt acceptable for use in a 5w20 application, just that the average joe won't check the website. He'll only read the bottle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back