TGMO 0W-20, 9,950 mi on oil, 2012 Elantra GLS,127K

Status
Not open for further replies.
d46515b2-5900-4c3d-a33e-a3b6520fe19d_zpsad909fc9.jpg

I guess this is mostly business as usual after another UOA after abut 40K miles. My concern is with the oil, though not really. I get it from a Toyota dealer from their bulk supply. My guy says it is the same oil from the same supplier as I've had tested my last four tests. Moly is way down and other variations in additives. Since all looks well I'm not going to sweat it. I could get quarts for more money but I think I'll stick with what I have. I use OEM Hyundai filter. There was a post I read that stated that whatever bulk oil Toyota approves for use at its dealerships is TGMO. My guy disputes this.

I noticed viscosity tested higher also. Suspicious since you are bringing your own container, and your guy is filling it? Would your guy know if management switched bulk oils for economic reasons?

It did not seem to effect the uoa wear metals.

You might want to redact your personal ID from the image.
Moly looks a little low for TGMO, as do calcium, boron and ZDDP and visc is a little high, but that's probably just some oxidative thickening.
Whatever, this oil has done very well in your car and you're running it long enough to make the cost worthwhile.
Toyota cannot legally require that its US dealers use Toyota branded motor oil, incidentally, although that may be all they're willing to cover for the "free" scheduled maintenance on new cars.

The viscosity has me a bit baffled. If this oil is thickening this soon, that is not good IMO and it is not a small amount of thickening. But as someone else said Moly is really low. Virgin shows 116.

Oxidation numbers would help tell the story but I'm thinking this isn't TGMO that you sampled unless you had some makeup oil with a 5W30 or higher.

I think it is a matter of semantics. I think the dealer just doesn't realize that TGMO is a specific oil labeled as such. I think the dealer just feels that whatever is in the Toyota drums is toyota genuine motor oil since it came from and is approved by toyota making it genuine toyota oil.

Last edited:
d46515b2-5900-4c3d-a33e-a3b6520fe19d_zpsad909fc9.jpg

Sorry about the image removal, wanted to remove my address.
As for the oil it's clear this is not the oil my guy thought it was. I'm getting a case of TGMO 0W-20 today and will change oil at 5k. With this viscosity result, is this maybe a blend? If I get any information on the oil I'll post it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I think it is a matter of semantics. I think the dealer just doesn't realize that TGMO is a specific oil labeled as such. I think the dealer just feels that whatever is in the Toyota drums is toyota genuine motor oil since it came from and is approved by toyota making it genuine toyota oil.

Maybe, I can't argue with that possibility, although the people I worked with conditioned me to think otherwise.
wink.gif
I guess it goes with the territory.

OP smart move buying the actual bottles. For now on if you want TGMO, pay a little more for sealed bottles. Don't tempt fate.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Link to Gokhan's excellent VOA thread.

Personally, I think that they are pulling your chain that it is TGMO.

You mean a dealer might not have put TGMO in the OP's empty jug?
27.gif
I'm really not surprised at all.

Not possible, they have no motivation whatsoever to do that.
crackmeup2.gif

The OP got clipped plain and simple. If its not in a sealed bottle stay the ef away from it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Personally, I think that they are pulling your chain that it is TGMO.

+1

Only 20 states enforce a requirement that requires installers to reveal the brand, grade, and standards met of oil in bulk tanks. PA. is not one of them. Check this link:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs120/1103404816784/archive/1114012429213.html

Best advice would be don't buy oil from a bulk tank.

Last edited:
Most Toyota dealerships around OKC use Mobil Super 0w20. This was confirmed with the oil distributer that delivers the oil. However, the part # on the invoice will still show the TGMO number.

I have to agree this doesn't appear to be TGMO 0W-20.
Presumably you didn't see the drum you had your oil jug last filled from.
I'd go back to the dealer with the UOA in hand and ask to see the actual drum their 0W-20 is drawn from. It should have emblazoned on it, Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20. If they have the correct Toyota drum ask what other oils they have on tap in bulk. You could have had your jug(s) filled with that instead.

It's no biggie, but obviously you wanted TGMO 0W-20 and if you got a receipt saying you bought so many quarts of Toyota 0W-20
I'd ask for your money back.

Originally Posted By: MontyD
Most Toyota dealerships around OKC use Mobil Super 0w20. This was confirmed with the oil distributer that delivers the oil. However, the part # on the invoice will still show the TGMO number.

IMO that's fraud.

My guy is the brother in law of my co-worker and I get the oil for cost. He is a service writer and I'm not sure of the extent of his technical knowledge. He is a good guy and has helped me out often. There is no bad intent on his part, but I am going to push to discover what the oil I purchased actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back