Castrol Edge Syntec 0W-20, 0W-30 BC, 0W-40 GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMPORTANT UPDATE:

================

Scott: I had those viscosities re-run today and all came back a little higher.

The 0W/20 was 9.24 cSt.
The 0W/30 was 11.55 cSt.
The 0W/40 was 12.80 cSt.

Those are a little bit more of a difference that I'd normally like and I would have them run again to see how the third try reads, but we ran out of oil. If you want to send in more, I'd be glad to run them all again at no charge. Usually the viscosity test should be +/- 5%. We were within that for the 0W/40, but higher for the other two.

Sincerely,
Ryan Stark
Blackstone Labs

================

I think I'm going to take Ryan up on his offer and send him some more oil.

Also, how do we best fix this thread? I doubt all people will read the whole thread so that they realize the original cSt were in error. After getting the full retest, do I start a new thread titled "RETEST: Castrol Edge Syntec 0W-20, 0W-30 BC, 0W-40 GC"?

Scott

Last edited:
This is why I am not using Castrol any more.
Former 0W30 GC was very well in line what Castrol advertised in Europe, cst of 12.21.
However, this BC is off, so there is consequence in switching plants.
When it comes to 0W40, this is what I was arguing in thread about these oils in Euro section of this site.
We do not know what 0W40 we are getting. Euro 0W40 is advertised in the EU to have cst of 13.5 and HTHS of 3.7.
12.8 is too big of a difference from what they advertise in Europe.
I know there is version with cst of 13.1, it might be the case that we are getting that version.
I am sticking for now with M1 0W40, since my UOA proved that it is what M1 advertise.

All:

I found an old VOA of 0W-30 German Castrol in my oil folder. I don't remember if I did it or if it was someone else.

The VOA is from Sept 2011, so it's the German Castrol version, right?.

When you consider the cSt correction the Blackstone provided, the German and Belgian versions of 0W-30 are virtually identical.

Not trying to confuse, just trying to help.

Scott

Castrol0w-30VOA_zps4bc06899.jpg

I still think that it is big difference between 12.21 what Castrol advertises in the EU and 11.55.
Do not know, will see what happens with that third sample.
Same goes for 0W40. There is big difference between 12.8 and 13.5.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Also, how do we best fix this thread? I doubt all people will read the whole thread so that they realize the original cSt were in error. After getting the full retest, do I start a new thread titled "RETEST: Castrol Edge Syntec 0W-20, 0W-30 BC, 0W-40 GC"?
Scott

Scott,
When you get the results, post them here, for completeness, then when happy start a new thread...even use the same title...PM Bill of JHZR2 and get this one closed.

Include a link in your new thread so people can see the backstory if they want.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Former 0W30 GC was very well in line what Castrol advertised in Europe, cst of 12.21.
When it comes to 0W40, this is what I was arguing in thread about these oils in Euro section of this site.
We do not know what 0W40 we are getting. Euro 0W40 is advertised in the EU to have cst of 13.5 and HTHS of 3.7.
I know there is version with cst of 13.1, it might be the case that we are getting that version.
I am sticking for now with M1 0W40, since my UOA proved that it is what M1 advertise.

There are 2 versions of Edge 0w40 in Australia. According to the TDS one is 13.1 and the other is 12.8

Edge 0w40 TDS

Originally Posted By: supercity

There are 2 versions of Edge 0w40 in Australia. According to the TDS one is 13.1 and the other is 12.8

Edge 0w40 TDS

And there is one in Europe with 13.5cst:
0W40 pds

Castrol claims this is best European 0W40 oil. It is made in Europe, but it seems it is not the same as the one Europeans are getting on the market.
And by the way, this pds is pds for the U.S. market. So what they advertise as 13.5, so far turned out to be 12.8.

Last edited:
All:

Just because the results are causing a bit of a stir, I'm going to send Blackstone three new samples, using the same oil bottles I used previously.

It does seem like the cSt numbers, even the second test that Blackstone did, are lower than they should be.

One thing to keep in mind is that I recall reading another thread where someone claimed Blackstone's cSt numbers are always a bit low. This does not mean I'm throwing stones at Blackstone. Perhaps there's a degree of variability or imprecision in cSt measurements?

I'll send them new samples next week.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
All:

Just because the results are causing a bit of a stir, I'm going to send Blackstone three new samples, using the same oil bottles I used previously.

It does seem like the cSt numbers, even the second test that Blackstone did, are lower than they should be.

One thing to keep in mind is that I recall reading another thread where someone claimed Blackstone's cSt numbers are always a bit low. This does not mean I'm throwing stones at Blackstone. Perhaps there's a degree of variability or imprecision in cSt measurements?

I'll send them new samples next week.

Scott

I agree with you, but this is way too off from what Castrol claims.
I did 3 UOA on M1, two on 5W30 ESP and one on 0W40 and all three were where they should be.
For example after 5K, 0W40 M1 sheered from 13.5 to 13.3 according to Blackstone.

if Scott is sending in new samples, he has to pay Blackstone again, and I think we should help him and contribute via payapl. This is a lot he's doing for a lot of interested people.
What to others think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
if Scott is sending in new samples, he has to pay Blackstone again, and I think we should help him and contribute via payapl. This is a lot he's doing for a lot of interested people.
What to others think?

Agree!

I believe blackstone said if he resends the oil they will not charge him.

I'm still looking to see why i should even try this oil. On paper the M1 seems the better oil.

It is odd though how price varies so much from the same company store. At my local WM i usually pick up M1 for around $22 for 5qts where as the Castrol 0w40 is $24.97 for 5qts. Where as others the M1 is more so go figure.

I'm not trying to put M1 on a pedestal but the specs for the 0w40 i feel are still a notch above the Castrol. look at M1's VI and TBN just to name 2.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
But M1 makes BMWs noisy.

....had to. hehe.

Compare to German Castrol (while it was made in Germany, do not know about Belgian) it made VW more noisy, and cold start was not on par with GC.

Harsh when the test house has already admitted it can't provide reliable result.

You really think a 30ton blend of oil is allowed to leave a plant out of specification ?

Not to get off point, but what "noise" do people actually hear while using M1? I cant even hear my engine run from inside the car have to look at the Tach to know its running. So what are people hearing??

I too believe that Blackstone must be pushing some bogus numbers. There is no way that much oil is leaving Germany out of whack. 2+2=5 here or what?

The 0w30 too looks so far off to what it was. Blackstone is messing up here.
15.gif

Its more like + or - 10% margin of error for them and that is unacceptable. How many of our Lab results are off and we think all is cool?

Sad thing is, we care but the car probably doesn't haha

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro

Harsh when the test house has already admitted it can't provide reliable result.

You really think a 30ton blend of oil is allowed to leave a plant out of specification ?

Of course it is harsh.
What Castrol are we getting here? They are advertising on the bottle: best European 0W40 oil. OK, but European Castrol 0W40 SN is 13.5cst with 3.7HTHS. For Americans, there is pds sheet that says also 13.5cst BUT, they are only stating minimum required HTHS of 3.5 for ACEA A3.
Now if it is 13.5cst, same oil that EU gets, why then cst is 12.8? I would understand little bit of difference, but this is way too much. Also, what is with these pds sheets? I am sick of Castrol's transparency. At least M1 provides HTHS, cst, flash point etc, though I would like to see pour point too. But Castrol? Only minimum required HTHS of 3.5.
So my point is that if Castrol numbers are again around 12.8-13.0, then probably we are getting some other version of Castrol, either 12.8 that some markets are getting, or 13.1, which is also available on some markets, but not te one that Castrol claims they are selling, you know: Best European 0W40 oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back