2011 Fusion PU 5W-20 9.6k WITH MOTORKOTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, well, I had bought some Motorkote before doing a lot of online research. After doing research, I was still kind of curious about it since all I had found were reports of MotorKote causing a huge, immediate drop in TBN and all kinds of bad things. Well, I figured that just because I couldn't find any good reports didn't mean they didn't exist. Call me an optimist. So, my Fusion's history is as follows: 27k oil change was dealer oil (unknown 5W-20). Both oil changes since are PU 5W-20, the change at 36k was straight PU, the change at 46k had 10oz (recommended amount) of MotorKote in it for the duration of the change. The car has never needed any top-ups, and this fill was no different.

I think the results speak for themselves... over 1,000 miles extra over straight PU, and none of the wear metals are significantly different, but TBN was 4.5 with the MotorKote vs. only 2.5 with straight PU (although it probably did have to fight some of the unknown dealer oil). I won't call myself convinced, but at least this reasonably proves that MotorKote is not as detrimental as some reports would have you believe. Enjoy!

Chris

2011 Fusion oil report

I am not an expert on oils and i came here to learn so i may be going out on a limb on this one, but i looked at the msds of motorkote earlier and I did not see anything of use in it. and your posting confirms to me that motorkote only dilutes the additives of the carefully formulated motor oil as seen by the lower tbn.

other more experienced people in the field will correct me and i know this ahead of time having posted this if i am incorrect.

So if all it is doing is taking money out of your bank and into the bank of others while of no real benefit, then why throw away good money?

Last edited:
sorry i missed read that,,,

but it still seems like it is not doing anything as promised on the label and just taking money from you, even though as you say it is not doing bad according to the analysis you provided...but it is not doing any good.

I will keep an open mind and let the more experienced people comment so I can learn from this.

thanks for posting

Last edited:
i was wondering about motorkote... what it actually did/contained, especially after selling a gallon jug of the stuff at work last night... for $90+...

John, as far as mileage is concerned, I do not religiously monitor gallons entered and total mileage. I simply go by the dash calculator. That said, even though the car is rated at 29MPG highway, I have routinely been able to knock down 35+ MPG in mixed use since I bought the car (~20,400 miles). I have not had any noticeable improvements in typical tanks, which means that if anything, they are likely less than 1 MPG.

I just want to clarify, as I realized I did not really specify earlier. I am not condoning/endorsing MotorKote, and I am not using it in the oil change just performed. If anybody wants ~16oz of it for shipping costs only, PM me. Otherwise on my next drain it will go in with the used oil
smile.gif

Well, don't throw it away.Mix it down with your regular oci ,use it up and just see if there is a change at all over the long term.

Can't hurt.

Motorkote is great for many things, so don't toss it. Put it in a spray bottle and you can use it for many lube/protective needs. It is super slippery and long lasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back