Seem like antique old school guy dont give a rat .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an old school guy and know why this is.. The Fram orange can was considered (one time) the *best* filter out there.. These 'old school' guys have limited computer access for the most part so they really have no clue about what other filters are out there. But all they know is that these 'new fangled filters' cost a whole lot more then the tried and true Fran orange cans.

They used what they have used for years since they know they work. What reason do they have to upgrade? Proves cardboard endcaps did just fine.

To echo another poster, I don't think it matters. These cars usually have poor air filtration/no air filtration too and don't get driven a whole heck of a lot. These aren't cars that are being DD'd to work and racking up hundreds of thousands of miles.

The FRAM is "just fine". These engines wouldn't benefit from increased filtration and the filters are already likely changed early.

Saw an orange can on a VW powered homebuilt aircraft on the cover of Air & Space Magazine. Sent the owner a "[censored]" email.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
these same guys often dont use air filters. they put 8 strombergs on a nailhead with chrome stacks and no air filters.

then drive through a sand storm to the car show.
You mean a Buick 425, right?

When I'm watching Chasing Classic Cars, and Wayne opens the hood of that Ferrarri he's been after, and I see two orange cans.... I say to myself, "No, can't be!"

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Most of these cars dont get driven much at all so it really does not matter
And I think that the orange can looks really good on an engine and these cars are all about looks

The Howley boys can buy CHROME plated filters for their bikes. I've seen Honda bike guys paint their OCOD's black for no reason that I can understand.

Originally Posted By: crw
When I'm watching Chasing Classic Cars, and Wayne opens the hood of that Ferrarri he's been after, and I see two orange cans.... I say to myself, "No, can't be!"
That's a factory spec filter made in Italy which loooks red many photos.

You are right about that sir. A lot of what we see on BITOG is picking *$#@ with the chickens, but there is also a lot of good information here and I enjoy and look forward to visiting the site. Regards to you.

My Apologize for not post any pix, I hope you guys like it. here just some pix I take,

I did saw a K&N and 1 TG
thumbsup2.gif

wjfiw8.jpg

2nvas83.jpg

2v3oled.jpg

10frij5.jpg

fvfegx.jpg

2vsgupz.jpg

2i7spyv.jpg

4lkdad.jpg

bjeji9.jpg

jsk5c0.jpg

2rem6id.jpg

2z6toxt.jpg

10zpptt.jpg

33wv7d1.jpg

utssz.jpg

2empx6e.jpg

o89x6f.jpg

rhojef.jpg

2ljnfv4.jpg

rstqb7.jpg

311s2gh.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Don't know ... it could just be because orange "looks cool" on the old engines and they don't really know or care what's inside.

Lots of guys I know do give a hoot, and DO KNOW whats inside, and run FRAM HP series filters, FRAM RACING filters... these are a different filter than the regular extra guards... solidly built, tons of media, metal crimped seems, large inlet hole area, screened bypass opening, very good flow.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: crw
That's a factory spec filter made in Italy which loooks red many photos.

Back in the day when any road car wearing the Ferrari badge had a V-12 mounted up front where the Lord and Enzo intended, Ferrari used Fram orange cans.
I have an old Ferrari book in which a freshly built 365 engine is sitting on a stand at the factory.
It wears a pair of oil filters top front and on each it reads "Fram Filtri Olio".
So, yep, the factory did deliver Ferraris with Fram orange cans.

Yep, old school, hence "oldhp". Back in the "day" it was FRAM and Pennzoil 10W40. You couldn't go wrong with that combo......back then.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Wow! Great pics! Thanks for sharing.. Couple of those brought a tear to my eye.....

Wayne

you welcome, Im glad you enjoy it.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Yep, old school, hence "oldhp". Back in the "day" it was FRAM and Pennzoil 10W40. You couldn't go wrong with that combo......back then.

I though it was Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back