The new Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, everyone knows what a Ram looks like. Mine is plain ole black.

But underneath is where I found the good stuff. This truck is disarmingly simple but with really nice touches of quality through out. Here are some pics.

Pic 1:- beefy electric power steering. My poor wife is having a hard time getting used to instant steering! Really nice feel IMO.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151653.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Pic 2: weird looking black trans pan, anyone know if these are some sort of composite?

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151610.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

Pic 3: weird heat exchanger (?) on side of trans drivers side. Lots of plumbing so I will investigate further if no one knows what this is.

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151600.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

Pic 4: BEEFY driveshaft and simple exhaust, a huge muffler. It actually has a bit of tone to it...

http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/sjordan1429/media/20141019_151621.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

I remember in Pic 3 reading that is some kind of heater to heat the transmission fluid up faster when the temps are very cold.

If you find anything out please post. I contacted ZF on the service of this 8HP70 and they said something about these being a heater for the fluid when very cold.

I really like the Electric Power Steering! Kind of a drive by wire. As long as it keeps working--->I'm very impressed!

The trans pan is plastic with a built in filter so at service you have to buy a new pan. I think the price ,lists at $300.00. I was seriously looking at the diesel or a Hemi 1500 to buy I haven't yet. Tempted. .

Very nice. I think SyN is right, I think that is a heat exchanger to heat up the trans fluid quickly at low temps. I could be wrong though. Looks pretty well built, nice beefy components.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
CT8: You are right about the pan! The Lifeguard 8 fluid is not cheap either!

I will say-->I love this ZF 8 Speed!
You guys are tempting me to get one.

CT8: I have never owned a Ram or a Dodge!

I have only owned Chevy and 2 Ford Trucks along with a Ford Edge.

After I test drove a handful of these 2014 Rams! I knew the truck I wanted...

I could not have bought a Ford or Chevy or GMC Truck with the same options that I have on my Bighorn for no where near the same price.

Chevy and Ford produce Great Trucks! I just really liked the 5.7L-8HP70-3:92 combo! Along with the great styling of the Ram! I will say I really am not a fan of the Front Grill. But I can live with it.

All I can say is take your time and test drive all 3 makes... I even Like the looks of the Tundra but holy cow the price is not what I wanted to pay.

I used to have had a 79 ford truck that was great and a 2002 F250 that knock on wood has been almost flawless. An electric window switch messing up and 1 glow plug failed which set a code. And a 1996 Toyota that has been flawless. But the RAM truck really has my attention.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
At least the 79 and 2002 are not plastic. Really plastic in a $50k truck??

That's a ZF designed piece. My LR3 has composite pan as well. Granted it has a nice steel skid plate covering it.

Same deal too- replace whole piece/filter.

Aah, sorry Millerbl00, you can keep the rant, because no one is listening!

I am a long time GM fleet owner and have gotten great service from them. It's how I make my living.

But this Ram really has a great combo of old school heavy duty truck parts and new tech in strategic places.

The 8 speed doesn't worry me a bit as Bentley, BMW, Audi, and many others have used it for many years now. The Hemi is also well proven and has the best cylinder deactivation strategy I have yet driven. Absolutely undetectable.

The truck also has great dynamics, really nice ride but with sway bars front and rear it doesn't roll much. Feels like it's carved from one solid piece!

This baby has a great factory tow setup with a built in hitch. I pick it up Saturday morning, gonna be fun...

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Swap the OE muffler for a 20-22" Magnaflow. You will be all smiles.

Nah, I like a quiet tone. If it is like my 6.1 it will develop a bit of noise as it ages out, they usually sound very different as they age.

The world does not need another noisy pick up!

Did I mention it gets first gear rubber from a roll?

Last edited:
I will say-->One of the most important things I was looking for at the start was a truck that did not come with a Gas DI motor.

I'm just not a fan!

I think If you even thought about an aftermarket Trans Pan you would have to modify the exhaust since it has about 1/2 clearance between it and the pan. If there even is an aftermarket for this 8 speed?

... 8HP70 transmissions are fully electronic, and can change their shift maps to meet current conditions; Ram has over 40 shift maps. The software uses engine torque gradients, kick down, longitudinal and lateral acceleration, hill detection, friction detection, downshift detection, cruise control, stability control interaction, and temperature to determine shift points and methods.

Smart trans...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I will say-->One of the most important things I was looking for at the start was a truck that did not come with a Gas DI motor.

I'm just not a fan!

I think If you even thought about an aftermarket Trans Pan you would have to modify the exhaust since it has about 1/2 clearance between it and the pan. If there even is an aftermarket for this 8 speed?
1/2" between hot exhaust & a composite pan? Hope that's a double-wall pipe! Hopefully the ATF change interval is pretty long, maybe the pan/filter price will come down some.

bullwinkle: Joe laubinger from ZF sent this email months ago regarding the 8 Speed.

The filter is in the pan if you have a plastic pan. The drain plug is on the bottom of the pan. You may have a leak issue if you re-use the plug which has an o-ring on it. The fill plug is found on the side of the transmission. If you don't have 60k miles on the unit and you don't push the truck to its max by towing, drive in extreme temps, drive it in mountains or have a "spirited" driving style I think you'd be able to wait until the 60k. When you do perform the oil change you should replace the pan/filter.

Regards,
Joe

Here is another!!

Hello Lonnie,

Because your transmission is still under warranty we recommend you follow your manufacturers service recommendations. Here at ZF we recommend you perform a drain and fill every 60k miles on all of our other transmissions but we don't have a service schedule for the 8hp yet. If you decide to follow this schedule I highly recommend you use our ZF Lifeguard8 Fluid. Since you're putting the effort forward to maintain your vehicle, you should use ZF fluids to keep the same shift characteristics and component protection.

Kind regards,
Joe Laubinger

The Pan has a drain plug but he recommends not draining from there and reinstall the plug and fill transmission. I might have to think about this! $300 every 60K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back