Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! i know that Royal purple oil is color purple... So here's my question..

After an oil change awhile ago... if i check oil level.. .. what color should the oil be on the dipstick?

I brought our van to our local dealership and brought in my own 6qts RP oil and when i checked the oil level .. the oil color was brown? So is that supposed to be normal or should the oil still be purple? I did this before leaving the dealership... Brown is usually the color for conventional and other major full synth?

I called the service rep and he insisted that they put in the RP oil that i brought.. but i told him that the RP oil is purple when its new....

Thanks!

True, but it doesn't change color that quickly. It would take a few hundred miles at the very least.

OP, your oil should have been purple. Or if they swapped it, it should have been light golden at least. You're saying it was brown? Like a light golden brown or a dirty 'they didn't change my oil' brown?

I used RP 10w40 in my 2008 Suzuki motorcycle and it stayed the purple color for the full 3,000 mile oil change intervals. It was always purple looking through the site glass on the side of the engine. IDK.

It was light brown ... i know that old oil gets darker brown.. That is why i was like [censored] ...why is my oil brown right away...

I actually had a spare bottle of rp hps 5w30 and poured a small amount on the same tissue i used to check the oil level and the i was like [censored]..it should be definitely purple...

I think what i should do next time is to get the empty bottles back after the service.. so there's no way for them keep my oil .. either they will throw away the oil and give me the bottle back or just put the oil in my van and give the bottle back.. Either way.. asking for the empty bottle back.. they wont have any way to get away of stealing my oil...

Originally Posted By: mauric3

I think what i should do next time is to get the empty bottles back after the service.. so there's no way for them keep my oil .. either they will throw away the oil and give me the bottle back or just put the oil in my van and give the bottle back.. Either way.. asking for the empty bottle back.. they wont have any way to get away of stealing my oil...
Sure they can, if the lube tech feels like it he'll pour them into a jug for himself and pour in bulk oil from the dealer into your car.

Change the oil yourself.

this is the reason why after 2 oil changes at EZ lube, and firestone i got all the stuff and started doing it myself at age 17.

its a simple thing to do, and each time they made me feel like unless i bought new battery , air filter, and god knows what else I wasnt going to get the service I paid for.

Last edited:
Should i bring in the tissue with the sample of royal purple + the oil from our van and show them the color difference?

Also, on my previous service.. the other technician would usually put Full synth on the service reminder and they normally put the next service in 6000k km... but right now on my sticker it only has a 5k interval and no full synth...

Next time ill ask for the empty bottle and make sure that the oil is purple before i leave the dealership..

I might just get another 6qts of RP oil and get it done maybe in a Mr Lube shop so at least i can see them pour in the oil im bringing in and gonna check the oil level after to confirm that it has to be indeed purple ...

car is still under warranty til 100k if im not mistaken...

It kinda depends on the application. When I ran RP in my big-block Chryslers, the purple changed to ordinary tan within a few start/stop cycles (maybe 100 miles, tops).

When I used RP 10w40 synthetic in the AX-15 manual transmission in the 99 Jeep (preferred over 75w80 GL-4 per Chrysler TSB), it stayed purple for a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
True, but it doesn't change color that quickly. It would take a few hundred miles at the very least.

^^This.

If there is a trust issue, best to do the oil changes yourself. Just keep the receipts from wherever you bought the oil and filter as proof and document time and mileage of each OC.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

OP, your oil should have been purple. Or if they swapped it, it should have been light golden at least. You're saying it was brown? Like a light golden brown or a dirty 'they didn't change my oil' brown?

Yes it does. The purple is gone almost after the first trip through the engine. The dye goes away very fast.

One things for sure. if you want them to change your oil but don't trust them, RP is a thought.

No it should not turn brown that fast. It takes days not minutes. You most certainly got your RP stoles and bulk oil instead.

I have seen speed shops dyno engines on RP multiple pulls and drain the RP and it was still the same Purple.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No it should not turn brown that fast. It takes days not minutes. You most certainly got your RP stoles and bulk oil instead.

I have seen speed shops dyno engines on RP multiple pulls and drain the RP and it was still the same Purple.

I ran RP for 35k+ miles on my last car. My dealer did the oil changes and I verified through UOAs they were using my RP oil.

I always checked the level when I got back home and never once did I see purple on the dipstick. It goes away very fast in a hot engine.

I suspect that the color disappears pretty quickly.
It's only a marketing gimmick in any event, sort of like if M1 AFE were dyed green, as another oil the older members know once was.
I used VR1 synthetic 10W-30 once because it met the API and grade recommendations for the '09 Forester and was FAR.
The oil was a really pretty saphire blue going in.
It was just a dull brown coming out five or six thousand miles later.
I don't know how long it remained blue, but I suspect that it wasn't very long.

I would not let there be a next time!
Go back to them and tell them you dont think they put in your 10.00 a qt oil
Let them explain why it is not purple
They owe you your oil
I would go elsewhere next time or diy

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I ran RP for 35k+ miles on my last car. My dealer did the oil changes and I verified through UOAs they were using my RP oil.

I always checked the level when I got back home and never once did I see purple on the dipstick. It goes away very fast in a hot engine.

Maybe the break in oil has more Purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back