Honda Pilot gas mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
23mpg is terrible.
Wife gets 32MPG on the AWD forester combined 60/40 and its got lots of room.

The pilot is also a crash test looser:

2014-honda-pilot-iihs-after-crash.jpg

As much as I'd like to agree I can't.

A Forester could never seat 8 in any fashion. Now maybe if you were talking about a Tribeca we could compare.

Those videos are very interesting. Watching them, I have this nagging suspicion that if the obstruction were to be moved few inches (less than a feet), the results would be vastly different.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
23mpg is terrible.
Wife gets 32MPG on the AWD forester combined 60/40 and its got lots of room.

As much as I'd like to agree I can't.

A Forester could never seat 8 in any fashion. Now maybe if you were talking about a Tribeca we could compare.
How many SUV buyers are seating 8 on a regular basis or even now and then - I'm just stating that a lighter, roomy SUV could provide what a prospective buyer needs without guzzling resources of money and fuel. If you need seating for more than 4 on a regular basis, you will surely need a bigger vehicle than a forester. I must say the 2nd row in the forester is nearly limo sized and some folks may be unaware of this and should check it out
smile.gif
North America needs a turbo diesel 3 row minivan or suv that get 30mpg combined and weighs approx. 2+ tons unladen

Last edited:
I'm just stating that a lighter, roomy SUV could provide what a prospective buyer needs without guzzling resources of money and fuel.

It's all relative. Very few of us "need" what we have. A smaller SUV provides less utility with more efficiency, yes. A smaller car provides even less utility than a small SUV and with even more efficiency. We all make choices that fit what we want. Nobody posting on an internet forum can claim that they have only what they need.

Our 2008 Odyssey LX would do ~23mpg loaded with 6 people and luggage on long highway runs, so I'm not surprised the Pilot does as well.

Typical day/day driving was not so nice however. We'd get 17-19mpg for that.

Pretty similar Bear. ~18mpg day/day and low 20's on the highway. It's funny because I've had 3 minivans; 2001 Ford Windstar, 2008 Ody and the 2013 Grand Caravan. All had basically the same day/day fuel economy. The windstar didn't do quite as well on the highway given the 4spd auto, vs, the 5 and now 6spd I own.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Pretty similar Bear. ~18mpg day/day and low 20's on the highway. It's funny because I've had 3 minivans; 2001 Ford Windstar, 2008 Ody and the 2013 Grand Caravan. All had basically the same day/day fuel economy. The windstar didn't do quite as well on the highway given the 4spd auto, vs, the 5 and now 6spd I own.

That's about exactly what our 2003 Grand Caravan and 2007 Town & Country got, too. Upper-teens in town and low-to-maybe-mid-20s on the highway. Both had the 4-speed 41TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back