Best Oil Filter For A 2001 Toyota Avalon V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: 285south
Napa Platinum good for 15k miles

The Napa Platinum has the media to go 15k miles, but an inferior bypass valve/combo valve compared to Ultra......

Really? Can you post/provide an authoritative link confirming that information? Any NP or Wix XP ever posted here has used a metal coil spring dome bypass. 'Never' has there been a combo valve shown/posted on any synthetic NP/XP.

I'm beginning to wonder where or perhaps more notably from whom you are obtaining your information. It's clear your MO is promoting the Ultra, no problem. But this board is and has been about providing accurate information too. I have seen similar dubious bypass information posted about standard Wix/NG filters in youtube comments and the net and they can be sourced to one recognizable commenter there..... Be interested to see the source of the NP/XP combo valve assertion.

Below is link to a virgin NP cut open by Texan4Life and there are others with a search also NP/XP showing dome bypass.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2323101/1

As for the question, many good suggestions here already, any should get the job done. And as said here before, 'best' can be a relative term to many factors like, oci/fci, cost and ROI.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Here we go again...

If I may offer a suggestion; The 2001 Avalon is also approved for 5w20 and 0w20, if he's running the 5w30 due to the winter, he'd be better served with an 0w20 synthetic like TGMO or M1 Afe that have much improved cold flow specs over 5w30.

Yeah, obviously those twice daily cold starts were killing my 1MZ-FE (see analysis above) with 5w-30.

Do you own a 1MZ-FE equipped vehicle?
Can you provide us with oil analysis results from said vehicle running the 0w-20 you recommend?

Look, that silly Canada application chart you're pulling information from has been trotted out time and again here. Know what it actually says for an '01 Avalon?

0w-20 ONLY
0w-20 or 5w-20
5w-30 ONLY

Think about the idiocy of that for a moment...

If the OP wants actual revelant information, contact Toyota customer service and they'll give you the straight scoop on what's recommended (spoiler: it doesn't align with what's in that chart).

Oh I'm definitely thinking about the idiocy.
smirk.gif

Congratulations on the red herring.

As Sayjac just mentioned, the entire point of this place is to provide accurate information.

Instead, you've offered an opinion based on what?

You don't own a 1MZ-FE vehicle.
You can't provide an analysis from your 1MZ-FE.

Furthermore:

You make assumptions on 1MZ-FE cold-flow performance parameters that aren't supported with evidence.
You didn't even take the time to search for an analysis from someone else's 1MZ-FE
Your opinion is based on an error-riddled chart that doesn't correspond with actual current recommendations from Toyota.

You can get Denso, Hastings, Wix, Motorcraft, and Bosch filters at rockauto. Those are good filters and some of those you can find local.

Napa gold good as well if you want local.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im pretty sure Toyota filters are tearolaters but not 100%
You're not even close. Toyota filters made by Denso in Thailand and are excellent.

Maybe you're confused by the fact that TRD-branded filters are made by Champion (FRAM Filtration now)

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

50% efficiency @ 20 microns Wix, 99% Efficiency @ 20 microns Ultra.

LOL!!!! 901Memphis, you full of it this morning!!

Last edited:
Here we go again...

If I may offer a suggestion; The 2001 Avalon is also approved for 5w20 and 0w20, if he's running the 5w30 due to the winter, he'd be better served with an 0w20 synthetic like TGMO or M1 Afe that have much improved cold flow specs over 5w30.

Yeah, obviously those twice daily cold starts were killing my 1MZ-FE (see analysis above) with 5w-30.

Do you own a 1MZ-FE equipped vehicle?
Can you provide us with oil analysis results from said vehicle running the 0w-20 you recommend?

Look, that silly Canada application chart you're pulling information from has been trotted out time and again here. Know what it actually says for an '01 Avalon?

0w-20 ONLY
0w-20 or 5w-20
5w-30 ONLY

Think about the idiocy of that for a moment...

If the OP wants actual revelant information, contact Toyota customer service and they'll give you the straight scoop on what's recommended (spoiler: it doesn't align with what's in that chart).

Oh I'm definitely thinking about the idiocy.
smirk.gif

As Sayjac just mentioned, the entire point of this place is to provide accurate information.

Furthermore:

You make assumptions on 1MZ-FE cold-flow performance parameters that aren't supported with evidence.
You didn't even take the time to search for an analysis from someone else's 1MZ-FE
Your opinion is based on an error-riddled chart that doesn't correspond with actual current recommendations from Toyota.

Add self perceived psychic abilities with the reluctance to read specs manifesting after the weekend, to my last.
If you can give me the winning lottery numbers for this weekends draw I'll take it back....

OK, what about me then? I've used mostly 5W-20 with a few 0W-20 changes in my 1MZ-FE for nearly 200,000 miles now, starting somewhere after the 100,000 mile mark. No real increase in consumption or noise, the biggest thing I have noticed is a quieter and easier startup on cold mornings - but I do run the oil year-round. I've only done a few oil analysis in this engine and that was mostly to check for coolant contamination or other problems. But Blackstone did no flag anything on the analysis either. I'm not inclined to have the oil analyzed more often, why would I? What would that show? Nothing I can think of.

So does that help?

Furthermore:

The best oil filter would be a high quality well sealed air filter. Ingested dirt will shorten the life of the engine before tthe oil filter choice would ever come into play.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've used mostly 5W-20 with a few 0W-20 changes in my 1MZ-FE for nearly 200,000 miles now

Of course it helps! When dealing with deviation from the manufacturer approved viscosity, having data from an actual owner is vital.

However, you've stated that analysis was performed (a few times), but didn't provide it. Can you please do so for those that are interested. Thanks.

im pretty sure i saw a toyota filter made by purolater recently i will be on the lookout when engines come in for rebuilds. I could be wrong though. I saw a/c delco made by wix once or twice also.

Daughter has 02 Camry with similar engine. I change religiously at 5k using Pennz plat 5w-30. I have tried many kinds of filters, all worked the same as far as I could tell by listening to start up etc I felt the oil looked cleaner after using the Bosch Distance Plus, same 5k change. I never will go further than that regardless what anyone says, and don't spend the money or time on UOAa. TRD may make one of the best $10 filters for the car, as well as M1 and BDPlus, but I decided to go the $3 route from rock auto and use the Denso first time fit, same no end cap design as the Toyota but silicone valve, and they say 2 ply media, which may or may not be in the Toyota version. $3 is a steal for these I think. I also got the Denso air filter, $7.49, made in USA, really nice filter, 3 ply.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im pretty sure Toyota filters........
You're not even close. Toyota filters made by Denso in Thailand...

Correct, the oem Toyota filters are Denso made in Thailand. Is now and have been for as long as I can remember.

As for the previous assertion disparaging the Napa Platinum bypass, as that comment remains unverified, I take it as hearsay and misinformation. NP/XP use dome end coil spring bypass as linked earlier.

I guess it depends on which filter. I just bought 2 Toyota filters at the dealer 90915-YZZG1 which are made in USA.

The Denso 105-1002 that I use on my 04 V6 has end caps. I was a little disappointed to see some excess adhesive on the filter media when I cut one open last week. First time I have seen this on a Denso oil filter. I think they are a very good product despite what I found.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
The Denso 105-1002 that I use on my 04 V6 has end caps. I was a little disappointed to see some excess adhesive on the filter media when I cut one open last week. First time I have seen this on a Denso oil filter. I think they are a very good product despite what I found.

How old was it and was it made in Thailand? The 150-1002 I just bought a few days ago has a picture on the box showing no end caps, as does their website. Same for the 150-1003. I think they are like the Toyota version now, if they are genuine Denso and not fakes. There is plastic over the base to keep dirt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back