Has Audi's reliability improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd say the A4 is a reliable car. It is Audi's volume seller in Europe so they needed to get this one nearly perfect including making it reliable, and fairly reasonable costs to service and repair.

Actually VW and Audi have come a long way in the past decade.
If they are not right at Hyundai levels of reliability they are darn close. The most important thing that VW and Audi should do to gain the trust of potential new customers is to match Hyundai's warranty terms.

In terms of driving satisfaction most VW/Audi products still far outperform anything from Hyundai, Honda, and Toyota/Lexus at about the same price.

As a tech that has worked on quite a few A4s, newer and older, and other VW/Audi's... no... just no they have not.

VW/Audi "Hey guys we fixed the ignition coil problem... but introduced a horrible direct injection that kills power, gas mileage, and requires expensive work to patch as there is no fix."

Every time a new model comes out its always the same "They fixed all those issues..." yea then they introduce more issues that are harder too fix if they can even be fixed.

The first-gen FSI (direct inject) motors had carbon buildup issues, yes. The new vapor reclamation system they started using a few years ago resolved that. As a sign of good faith, Audi offered extra warranty coverage against the buildup.

Well the DI issue there is no fix so the extra warranty just means you get a extra cleaning before it becomes your problem.

And you have been saying the "vapor reclamation system" fixs the carbon problem since 2013 now. Yet if you read Audi/VW forums users are still reporting issues to this day even with the vapor reclamation system as well now. i.e. "fix" one thing break another.

Just read the letter audi gave for the extended warranty, it does NOT cover the carbon issue on the valves or intake.
It only extended the warranty on the secondary air ports, and only reason is because those are considered part of the emissions system.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread...-carbon-buildup

So if you have a Audi/VW you still have to cover the cost of the DI issues. There is also no fix for it as well, just another money pit.

Last edited:
Reliable or not the cost of owning the Audi is going to be killer. Seems like such a waste of money when they don't offer anything not available elsewhere. They are nice cars, though.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
So if you have a Audi/VW you still have to cover the cost of the DI issues. There is also no fix for it as well, just another money pit.

"Money pit" seems to be a bit of an extreme statement here. My VW has been cheaper to run than my Toyota. Even if you factor in the cost of a valve cleaning, which I have not yet had to do (85k miles on the VW), the VW would still come out ahead in maintenance and repair costs.

If my GTI had a DSG box the difference would be closer, with the edge likely going to the Camry, but the difference wouldn't be so much as to qualify the VW as a money pit.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Why do some people assume someone else finances?

Look at the status quo. A majority of people are making poor financial decision so I have to assume that I have a greater than 50% chance that a random person is making poor financial decisions. I have seen time and time again people encouraging on this very forum for someone to make a poor financial decision. Lets make bad decisions together so I don't feel bad about my bad decisions.

I have found that a majority of people that are down and out continue to make bad decisions and the same bad decisions over and over again. I have no empathy for most people because they choose their plight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
Max you 401k ($17,500 each person per year) and Roth IRA ($5,500 each person per year, if eligible). If you can do that then spend whats left. If not don't spend yourself poor. Last year was the first year I could max my 401k and also Roth IRA. Every increase in pay I increased my 401k contributions so I didn't even get a raise at the end of the day. If you both are maxing both then splurge and buy a potentially unreliable vehicle if you think it will fill a hole in your life.

Hear, hear!
cheers3.gif

I didn't always think this way, but as I got older and worked some different jobs, I've come to this realization / mindset and embrace it fully. I don't enjoy going to work everyday, so I might as well try and end it sooner! Some people enjoy work and/or define themselves/success via their career - that's fine, but that's not me.

Why do some people assume someone else finances? My mortgage has long been paid off, she rolled her 401K over and her new employer matches up to 6%, I have long had a Roth and work a job with a pension and can retire at 54.

Probably because there aren't a whole lot of people who have managed their finances properly. Seems even retiring earlysomething tells me you will keep busy.

We assume that you fall into the 95% of Americans who don't take care of finances before buying new things - congrats and good to hear that you guys aren't 'average'!
laugh.gif

Why do some people assume someone else finances? My mortgage has long been paid off, she rolled her 401K over and her new employer matches up to 6%, I have long had a Roth and work a job with a pension and can retire at 54.

By the way Congrats! Most people try to spend their way into unattainable happiness.

Frankly I find it amazing that anyone wants to discuss something as personal as their finances with complete strangers on the Internet.

I think it is a personal thing, can't imagine it as a public one...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Frankly I find it amazing that anyone wants to discuss something as personal as their finances with complete strangers on the Internet.

This is a contributing reason people are financially inept. We are not talking about sex here. Financial literacy is not taught, when are people expected to learn? I learned the hard way, making mistakes and learning not to do them again. I would rather schools teach less history and more life skills (financial literacy, etc.). There are a lot of companies that benefit from people's poor financial decision which ultimately hurt us (housing bubble, looming student loan bubble, etc.).

Last edited:
I say go for it. I have a 2007 A6 bought 8 years ago which I still enjoy driving. I would say it has been as reliable as my previous cars(Fords and Nissans). The car would be under warranty for four years so you would know if it is a problem. I would say stay away from CVT but that shouldnt be an issue as she wants a manual.

x2.

Perhaps it would be better to simply answer the question, rather than assume you know the OP's financial situation; or for that matter, are better equipped to make such a decision.

Ditto; and the financial "experts" who chime in when an automotive questions are asked are entertaining as well...

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd say the A4 is a reliable car. It is Audi's volume seller in Europe so they needed to get this one nearly perfect including making it reliable, and fairly reasonable costs to service and repair.

Actually VW and Audi have come a long way in the past decade.

No, not at all. I owned an 04' A4 1.8T Quattro, it was a nightmare to say the least.

Again, nope! Although this is much more subjective than the prior.

That was a DECADE ago bud...in automotive terms it is
forever.
crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif
smirk.gif

The current Audi A4 and A6 are very reliable. Is service
"cheap"? No but it isn't "cheap" with ANY premium car, whether it be Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, or Audi, Mercedes, or BMW.

I have a close buddy that owns a 2011 Audi A4. It's been giving him so much trouble that he that he hates it and he barely drives it now. Not sure what are the problems since i have never asked.

Wife's S4 is a year old w/ ~30K and it has been near perfect....couple software updates when it went in for its service, but nothing else. Much better than we expected, not that we anticipated anything major, but these are complex machines.

You mentioned a manual, I prefer them, but the S-Tronic is pretty slick.

They have to have gotten better...

I think it is a [censored] shoot. We had a first gen A8 4.2 that was perfect to 60k. We had an 04 A4 1.8t which needed major work in the first few months and only got worse as time went by. Both cars were bought new.

The new ones look and drive great, but I could never own one again. Maybe lease.

My sister in laws 06 a4 burns oil like a furnace! Black soot in the tailpipes and it runs rough, she actually ran low on oil once and the light came on at 43000 miles!! [censored]! They are known oil burners !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back