AGM Battery in Engine Compartment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
You should make sure the voltage regulator in the motor home has temperature compensation, and that it regulates to the voltage limits recommended by the AGM battery manufacturer. AGM is less tolerant of over charging than a flooded battery, and can go into thermal runaway.

Very good point. Some vehicles have good temp compensation (my Jeep adjusts charging voltage based on a temp sensor in the battery tray, for example), others a poor system (voltage based on alternator temp), some none at all.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
You should make sure the voltage regulator in the motor home has temperature compensation, and that it regulates to the voltage limits recommended by the AGM battery manufacturer. AGM is less tolerant of over charging than a flooded battery, and can go into thermal runaway.

Very good point. Some vehicles have good temp compensation (my Jeep adjusts charging voltage based on a temp sensor in the battery tray, for example), others a poor system (voltage based on alternator temp), some none at all.

My Subaru has the temp sensor in the alternator, which is not optimal IMO. My AGM battery does not get overcharged during the warmer part of the year, but in the winter it gets undercharged. I have to use an external charger once a month in the winter to keep the battery fully charged

^^^I charge/float charge my Platinum/Odyssey, for a couple of hours, once a week, regardless of season, with their Ultimizer charger.
wink.gif

On 12/19/09 installed a 55Ah Werker WKA12-55P/FR AGM that was removed from a fire alarm panel at work. It is good for 550 CCA, and it cranks the Max faster than the old 525 CCA Exide did. Still cranks with authority.

Initial install.

Present installation.

5 years under the hood and two years in the fire panel havent hurt it a bit.

asand, I like your homemade terminal connections in the third photo. Were there already holes through the terminals, or did you have to drill them?

The only batteries I've had that grew fuzz were exide.

I avoid that brand like the plague.

The holes were already there. The posts have two flats that allowed clamps the quickly loosen, so I terminated the ends and bolted them on boat/truck style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back