When in D or O-D car won't accelerate beyond 25mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
On fluid I would use Dexron VI. I think it would have to be about three quarts low to not shift right. Sounds like it is getting hot perhaps from slipping so bad. If it is dying you could reach for something like Seafoam Transtune, etc. How old is the current ATF? Heat may have cooked it.

Any dex merc or DexronVI would do the trick. No sense in going expensive on the fluid if it's going out or be replaced soon, but you certainly want to top off.

Supertech fluids are super inexpensive but high quality, either their DexronVI or high mileage atf for DexronIII applications.

Originally Posted By: JasonTL
Today I drove it a bit and then parked it on flat terrain and cycled through the gears then shut it off and popped the hood. There was a wisp of smoke or something coming from the dipstick tube. I then pulled it, cleaned it, and put it back in and then quickly took it back out and it just barely read on the stick, so definitely low on fluid. The stick seemed to say add 1 pt(Pint), but shouldn't it actually be 1 qt(Quart)?

Anyone know offhand which fluid this vehicle takes?

Would low fluid actually prevent it from switching gears, or did the low fluid cause the 3-4 clutch pack to burn/fail?

The procedure for that vehicle is to check fluid with the engine idling and trans in park. (That might be stamped on the dipstick.)

If the fluid level is low with the engine off, it will probably be lower when idling because fluid is being pumped through the trans and converter.

If this was my vehicle, I would go to Wal Mart and buy a 99 cent transmission funnel and a quart of Dex-Merc, and get the fluid to the proper level. If that didn't fix it, then it would be time to start pricing transmissions.

The dipstick does measure in pints. It sounds like you can start with 1/2 quart, then check using the proper procedure and adjust the level from there. Note the marks for "Cold" and "Hot," too. If the fluid isn't hot from driving, it should be at the top of the cold range or just into the crosshatched area.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I forgot about it being pumped while idle as opposed to not when off, so I should actually check it while idling from now on.
I can(and should?) add the fluid while it is idling, right?

Advanced Auto Parts is actually closer to me than Wally world, so I was thinking of grabbing one of these.

That fluid will do it, or the Dex III/Mercon for 4.99. They also show a small blue funnel for 1.39.

The engine doesn't need to be on to add fluid, only to check it. Considering where you said the level was earlier, start with 1/2 quart and then check. Once it's on the dipstick, add sparingly to avoid overfilling.

Well this is interesting.

Saturday I added half a pint per recommendation.

Today after a 15 minute drive in cool weather(upper 40s) I park it level, run through the gears and then let it idle while I check the fluid. Not reading on the stick.

So I'll add the other half pint today and then get two more quarts at the store tonight. I surely hope it isn't down that much though.

My mother drove it two weeks ago a short distance and I thought she had driven it in 2, but I just today learned she had driven it in D and it DID change gears, though she said it took alot longer than usual.

Thoughts? Perhaps the tranny isn't dead(yet) and the failed shifting is due to my (major)lack of maintenance?

It's possible that neglect is the culprit and washing it out with some drain and fills weekly may help clean the accumulated wear materials out and thus helping shift quality.
I'd grab a can of seafoam tranny additive and drive with it for a week then drain and fill.
Drive for another week and see if anything improves. Then decide if another round of additive helps.
With automatic transmissions they are very temperamental once they get accumulated wear particulate blocking the veins and impeding fluid flow.
At this point what have you got to lose considering you think its toast anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back