Anyone else fed up with today's country music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like most stars just have the same "collaborators" to do the orchestration and sand off the rough edges. Consequently every song sounds the same.

I like my share of tunes (AJ's Drive for example) but I can't imagine spending hours listening to it.

The station I listen to on Pandora is Tom T Hall.. so yeah I'm tired of it. Although with more than a few female country singers I can stand watching their music video's, granted I may not be listening to the full extent either!

LOVE the original version of Amarillo by Morning. Terry Stafford from 1973:

Terry also brought us this awesome early 60s pop classic:

One thing I have definitely noticed is that it appears that
the "agenda" is to inject African musical and cultural elements into EVERY other type of music. I'm sick of it.

One of the most amusing thing I see is the use of lots of
black extras in many country music videos when they clearly don't belong in that context. It looks like Saul Goldberg is calling all the shots in the ENTIRE music industry in the USA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'm not really a country fan, I'll listen to it a little bit, but I find it irritating how everyone suddenly "acts" country now. In high school I worked on a farm. Long days of hard work and hot sun, but I ended up enjoying it.

Now it seems everyone I know is "country". They all have jacked up trucks, wear cowboy hats, spit tobacco and drink/party non-stop. I just have to laugh when they get out of their brand new trucks with shiny work boots. Sure, I have some of those same work boots at home, but they are anything but shiny. They actually have dirt on them from doing work.
grin2.gif

Sounds familiar a lot of cowboys out there .. As a good friend says the difference in farmers and Cowboys boots is the poo is on the outside of the farmers boots lol!

Most wouldn't guess I grew up in the country. The only boots I have are rubber boots and haven't had a truck in years. Get some strange looks at the state fairs on occasions. Sure don't miss the hard work for the most part.. Stacking the hay, pulling calfs, playing hot pork at midnight in winter, dad threatening to shoot the WD45.. Ok maybe I do miss it!

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: 95busa
[censored], last I checked Merle Haggard was singing about drinking, kicking out footlights, drinking, women in faded jeans, drinking, etc all through the 70s and 80's.

But was he drinking beer in a new jacked up Chevy truck? Was he like OMG, this is my song, derp derp derp derpa all night long? Was he turnin' up drinkin' shine on a tailgate with a pretty lil derp?

Merle is missing some elements of successful kuntry-pop...
1. Beer ON tailgate/other open containers in vehicle
2. Turnin' up
3. Girl drankin' fruity kinda drank
4. Jacked up Chevy with lift kit
5. Small town

Don't forget:

1. Chrome piece in console
2. Tan leg Juliette
3. Rollin' on 35s
4. Kenwood's banging
5. Feel good pills & red gatorade

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I believe it was just a few months ago Tom Petty said modern country music is nothing more than a bad rock and roll band with a fiddle.

Thats funny, I think ol Tom hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Everyone says this about all music! Eventually we all do not like change and say such things how things were. However the reality is people at our age/state of mind probably said the SAME exact thing when you loved the music.

That's it in a nutshell. Old folks don't like the young folks things and vice versa. My mother is 82 and grew up in a rural area where they listened to old timey bluegrass / country / gospel on the radio. I still grin when I remember her telling me that when she left home in the late 40's as a teen that she was "never so glad to get away from that whiny music!" Ha! Now, I listen to some early "whiny country", but not too much when mom is around :)

Aquariuscm, I never knew Terry Stafford had ever done anything beyond "Suspicion," and certainly not "Amarillo." Fascinating stuff.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
One thing I have definitely noticed is that it appears that
the "agenda" is to inject African musical and cultural elements into EVERY other type of music. I'm sick of it.

One of the most amusing thing I see is the use of lots of
black extras in many country music videos when they clearly don't belong in that context. It looks like Saul Goldberg is calling all the shots in the ENTIRE music industry in the USA.

Can you explain the quotation marks around agenda?

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The worse music ever has to be RAP [censored]!

America has been poisoned

The funny thing is rap and country are so similar. They both have simple lyrics about a supposed day in the life. Yet most diehard fans of each genre, dislike the other.........

Country is MUSIC. Rap is usually-dreadful poetry recited to a rhythm that is generally on the complexity level of a nursery rhyme.

Lyrics for **** in Dixie By Hank Williams III

Well some say I'm not country

And that's just fine with me

'Cause I don't wanna be country

With some [censored] looking over at me

They say that I'm ill-mannered

That I'm gonna self-destruct

But if you know what I'm thinkin'

You'll know that pop country really sucks

So I'm here to put the "****" in Dixie

And the "[censored]" back in country

'Cause the kind of country I hear now days

Is a bunch of [censored]' [censored] to me

They say that I'm ill-mannered

Well we're losing all the outlaws

That had to stand their ground

And they're being replaced by these kids

From a manufactured town

And they don't have no idea

About sorrow and woe

'Cause they're all just too [censored] busy

Kissin' [censored] on Music Row

So I'm here to put the "****" in Dixie

And the "[censored]" back in country

'Cause the kind of country I hear nowdays

Is a bunch of [censored]' [censored] to me

And they say that I'm ill-mannered

And if you know what I'm thinkin'

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Country? Its good!

Hmmm, I don't know that good is the word I would use. Sometimes "beach country" is a little easier on the ears than "turn up, throw down country," but it's still pretty bad. Thank you Kenny Chesney for a subgenre that only makes sense if you happen to be vomiting in Destin, FL from drinking too many Bud Light Limes.

At risk of getting in trouble for language, I feel it's necessary to post an actual song, just as a reminder of what country music is vs. country noises about nothing.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Thank you Kenny Chesney for a subgenre that only makes sense if you happen to be vomiting in Destin, FL from drinking too many Bud Light Limes.

I think Kenny got a hold of some bad grass when he was hanging with some college kids backstage and never came back to reality. I keep thinking I will see him wearing some Bob Marley garb one of these days.

Meh it works good with Jimmy Buffet in the islands. I think the Zach Brown Band is quite good.

This one will [censored] people off as well, but I like it. I tested out the sound system in a new 9114S with it, sounded pretty good at about the top of third, lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Rap is usually-dreadful poetry recited to a rhythm that is generally on the complexity level of a nursery rhyme.

Just like country........

Originally Posted By: whip
The funny thing is rap and country are so similar. They both have simple lyrics about a supposed day in the life. Yet most diehard fans of each genre, dislike the other.........

Probably because they sound nothing alike. I can't understand what they're saying in most rap songs, so I certainly can't comment on the content, but take a song like Deanna Carter's "Strawberry Wine" or Jeff Carson's "The Car" and compare the rhythm and pace of those songs to a typical rap song and tell me if you can draw any comparison.

I can't. It's not that I dislike rap. I simply can't understand what they're saying. It's like trying to listen to a song in Yiddish. I'm sure the lyrics tell a story...I just can't understand what they're saying to hear it.

I'm not a fan of Waylon or CDB either. Many people consider that "real country", and maybe it is. I hear as much screaming and yelling in those songs as I do in many other genres. I like many of the mainstream artists, but I also like many of the not-so-mainstream, at least anymore. Like Deanna Carter, Chely Wright, Jeff Carson, Billy Dean, Joe Diffie, etc. The common thread is most of their stuff is understandable and with a depth of musical accompaniment that appeals to me. Slide guitars really check my box.

Of course, music is such a personal decision, like whether you like blue or red better, or whether you like dogs or cats. I think the best that fans of certain genres can hope for is not agreement over which is best but a simple acknowledgement that other genres are out there and that they have appeal to certain people. Statements like "country isn't music" or "rap isn't music" are never productive; they just act to further the divide among listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back