Anybody spraying Fluid Film regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search, didn't see a lot of info-wondering if anyone sprays their own (or customers') vehicles? I need to stop the beginnings of rust on the xB & Ram, AFAIK no one in my area does it, thinking of buying the pro gun & wands & trying it out this year, last year was pretty rough, most snow ever here.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Did a search, didn't see a lot of info-wondering if anyone sprays their own (or customers') vehicles? I need to stop the beginnings of rust on the xB & Ram, AFAIK no one in my area does it, thinking of buying the pro gun & wands & trying it out this year, last year was pretty rough, most snow ever here.

There are a few people here that use Fluid film. I'm glad I live in Canada and can get the car Rust checked or Krown'd. Without the proper guns/wands you won't be able to get into the entire panel.

Regards, JC.

I do LPS3 regularly on my cars (during summer months, when the weather is hot and no moisture accumulation in the door seams).

I typically use lanolin-based rust inhibitor, not the petroleum based ones like what I used to do with waxoyl.

Q.

I sprayed mine with the aerosol cans (FF) last year and it did not abate the undercarriage rust on my truck at all. A complete waste, but i suppose common sense dictates that it's expected to wash off on exposed areas.

Once a pickups frame rusts,its near impossible to stop it.Fluid Film or not.Just ask Toyota and all those GM truck owners whose frame broke in front of the rear wheel or the shock mount crossmember collapsed.

My problem is light surface rust, not anything severe (at least not yet), just trying to stop it before it gets any worse. Fluid Film & Krown seem to be the highest recommended, FF seems to be easier to find, at least in the quantities I need (to do 2-3 trucks & a couple of cars).

I've sprayed FF on my Cruze and our Fit for the past few years. It does work to slow down rust when the surface it's sprayed over is fairly rust-free to start.

Expect 4-5 cans per car if it's never been done before. I'd hit each with half a gallon.

It makes everything greasy, but I'll take grease over rust any day!

Well, I bit the bullet & ordered 2 gallons, pump, spray gun, & wands to spray FF-maybe I'll throw up a few before & after pics, if I can get the stuff warm enough to spray well.

I've been spraying my cars with a Fluid Film type of compound for 30 years. I modified a paint sprayer to spray the compound after it's cut with mineral spirits. The mineral spirits flash off after application.

Use a proper oil undercoat like this: Fluid film will wash off and is expensive.

If you live near the US/Canada border, Walmart Canada stores with auto centers do oil spraying; Good work for the money

Last edited:
I have had CarWell sprayed on my two vehicles for the past 3 years. Carwell suggests in the spring vs fall.

I think it significantly cuts down on rust. When I look at my trailer hitch it looks dark metal colored and I can feel the dry CarWell. Not rusty looking.

You will need really long wands and to drill holes to get into the cavities.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have had CarWell sprayed on my two vehicles for the past 3 years. Carwell suggests in the spring vs fall.

I think it significantly cuts down on rust. When I look at my trailer hitch it looks dark metal colored and I can feel the dry CarWell. Not rusty looking.

You will need really long wands and to drill holes to get into the cavities.
I found an eBay seller that was selling a pro-style undercoat gun & 2 flexible wands, 24" & 36", going to give it a shot. FF from Zoro Tools isn't really expensive, around $37/gallon, and there's usually a code & free ship over $50. Just need a regulator from HF or similar, & some Indian summer & I should be good.

FF actually recommends a HPLV airless sprayer for spraying their bulk product. I did this with our Aurora and it worked ok. A slight learning curve though. Had some problems keeping prime- try stirring the FF first and removing the pickup screen.

I spray Fluid Film only when it is really hot out.

Then it creeps evenly and has a chance to be thin enough to escape the drainage holes at the bottom of the doors.

I've only been at for about a full year now (sprayed my truck last year, then all three this fall). Once rust starts all you can do is slow it down--IMO the big thing is getting oil onto unrusted metal so it won't have a chance. But in the rust belt all you're doing is buying time. With any luck you'll get the miles/age you wanted and then sell the vehicle with a still running drivetrain and "look! no rust! well taken care of vehicle! gimme lots of money" in the ad. Or that the body will make it until the drivetrain actually does wear out.

I keep a case of the rattle cans on hand. That way I can grab a can while doing a tire rotation and hose down anything that doesn't look greasy. FF does wash off kinda easily, and the lighter stuff that they put into the spray cans moreso. It does flow better with heat, so I'm kinda of the mind to touch up in the spring, hose liberally in the fall while it's still warm.

My homemade sprayer can get into all the hard to reach places. I adapted it to attach a length of brake line with a 30° bend at the end. I can stick this in all kinds of tight spots.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Use a proper oil undercoat like this: Fluid film will wash off and is expensive.

FluidFilm NAS is a proper undercoat, and will not wash off like standard rattle can FF.

I've tried both... oil spray and lanolin rustproofing. The oil spray didn't last the season, leaving my car unprotected. The proper rustproofing lasted for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back