Digital Pop Star Round 2: Hatsune Miku in 'Murrica

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a thread on this a while back. Hatsune Miku. A digital pop star. One that is extremely popular in Japan, and increasingly popular around the world.

She was on letterman the other week. Frankly, as much as I love the song, it didn't do her vocal capabilities justice, and there were other much better choices.

Either way, following that she had concerts in both Los Angeles, and in NYC. For those who think it's silly, and want to complain about the fact she isn't "real", well, watch these. She may not be physically real, but that is still real, genuine excitement from an American audience, who travelled and paid money to see her. As much cheering for an encore as you would see for a "real" artist. Listen to them shout for an encore in NYC.

Something else to keep in mind, is pretty much all of her songs are written by fans. And it's still real humans who set up the show, lighting, and real humans playing guitar, drums, and keyboard/synth.
I am extremely disappointed I couldn't make it to the NYC concert this year. Ah well, maybe next year I'll have vacation time. Anyway, expect to see more of this kind of stuff in the future, as times change.

Listen to that screaming

ENCORE ENCORE, MIKU MIKU

3f6.gif

I think "she" ripped that second song off Barney

Barney's not real, his fans think he is...but a special few can get a real hug.

All without the funny, sweaty smelling vending machines that are apparent in Japan.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Nick, is the the voice real, or cg?

I should clarify a bit. The software used to create her voice, vocaloid by Yamaha, had it's original Japanese syllables recorded by a Japanese singer: Satomi Sato. People who purchase the software can use that to create her songs. She has an expanded english patch as well, but she is not nearly as good with english and with Japanese songs, as one might imagine.

Most of her songs are written by average joes, anyone can buy the software and use it to write songs, and share them online for others. Someone else created a program called mikumikudance, which allows people to even choreograph performances for her.

Obviously in a case like this, her owner, Crypton Future Media, does a lot of work on each individual performance, but typically the basics done by the person who made it, are kept. It makes her a true crowd/fan sourced artist. Her songs, and dancing, are nearly all created by her fans.

And in concert, there is a real band playing the instruments. It's remarkable what can be done with computers these days eh? Even if you don't like the music (which frankly, I wouldn't blame you, it's not for everyone) it's hard to not admit it's pretty incredible what we can do with computers these days. And to her fans, she is as real as any other singer, which is what matters.

She's no more or less "real" than the rest of the modern. Pop "singers". Most of them also can't actually sing!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
She's no more or less "real" than the rest of the modern. Pop "singers". Most of them also can't actually sing!

Very true when looked at from that perspective. Most pop acts are lip syncing on stage as well even when playing "live".

I've been to a number of concerts where the suck level was through the roof. The band is awful compared to what they sounded like on their album. Shows you just how "processed" they are.

On the other hand Rammstein, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch, Korn and even a few of their opening acts have ranged from good to absolutely incredible live.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Basically you go to watching a movie with smoke, "music" and lights.

Like a drivethrough, but without the comfortable seats and the necking
grin.gif

Hard to fathom why anybody other than a child would want (or pay) to attend such silliness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Hard to fathom why anybody other than a child would want (or pay) to attend such silliness.

You can continue to shake your cane at people walking on your "lawn" all you want, but times have changed, and so have people. I guess that's hard for some people to accept. As evidenced by the fact that her shows in both NYC and LA were sold out, and most of the attendees were adults.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Listen to that screaming

Different time same stupidity.

Reminds me of a time my gf and I went to a nascar race. After it was over we were walking around and this group of chicks kept following us thinking I was Carl Edwards,and they kept taking pictures of me haha. My few minutes of fame
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: andrewg

You can continue to shake your cane at people walking on your "lawn" all you want, but times have changed, and so have people. I guess that's hard for some people to accept. As evidenced by the fact that her shows in both NYC and LA were sold out, and most of the attendees were adults.

You are 100% correct! It is hard to accept that people today are the dumbest in the history of human kind in so many ways.
No wonder they worked up of some theatrical event, Its hard to understand much of anything when your world revolves around video games and social media.
Throw a few lights and noise up and any tripe looks good to them. thats not the future its a mental illness. LOL

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Nick,

Does your wife also attend these type concerts, Comic Con, Cos Play, etc....etc... ?

No, but I'm not married so that would be why. And if I ever do get married, it will more than likely be someone who shares my interests in this type of stuff. For now, I'm 22, single, and happy that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back