Seem like antique old school guy dont give a rat .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem like antique old school guys dont give a rat A** about, what oil filter they using. I just went to a biggest car show of the years, over 300+ cars. When I come to see an engine, first thing I look for is Oil filter. and 80% of those antique / high horse power / super charger taller then the wind shield. They running regular fram oil filter ( orange can ), I look over 100 cars, never seen any high dollar oil filter ( mobil 1, K&N...AMSOIL...RP...Ultra ). Seen an gone in 60 second mustang clone using purolator classic... some I see still using really old discontinue fram oil filter..

made me think ( dont take offensive here for all the old school fold, I very respect elder here ), it made me think, elder cars owners dont change their own oil any more, and just take to the local shop for an oil change mabe ?

Don't know ... it could just be because orange "looks cool" on the old engines and they don't really know or care what's inside.

Maybe those cars don't really get driven enough for it to matter?
21.gif

I've noticed the same thing: car shows, car museums, race cars: plenty of Orange cans. perhaps the orange can is good enough! gotta remember that 20 years ago there were no premium filters (within a manufacturers product line). No pure one, no ultra...

Probably a sign that the high dollar filters don't matter as much as we think they do. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the things we obsess about here are trivial in the longevity of an engine.

Why does the use of a fram imply that they dont care? Show me the data that indicates that they fail at a higher rate and cause more damage in practical terms than any other filter.

I doubt you can.

If you have real, usable evidence, great. I dont use orange cans because I did notice a startup tick running one that didnt occur with other filters. However, I have not noticed a similar condition using the ultra line, and I have used them as a result.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Probably a sign that the high dollar filters don't matter as much as we think they do. I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the things we obsess about here are trivial in the longevity of an engine.

+1

+1

While there are plenty of obsessed opinions here (mine included) on what is best for care of a car, if one pays much attention to the multitude of different choices that are followed, most all with great success, it is easy to realize that the filter or oil probably doesn't make as much difference as being obsessive about caring for one's car.

So give the guys with the ocod a break. Perhaps they have enough experience to know that it really doesn't matter, except to those who are arrogant enough to think it does (yes, us).

I get that impression with about 99% of the "car guys" I have conversations with.. Not that they don't care, just that they feel the entry level filter will work just fine. Seems to work for them so far. Lol

I am starting to feel the same way within reason.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Maybe those cars don't really get driven enough for it to matter?
21.gif

Yep....that, and they survived on tougher oils! Much better stuff now....

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Seem like antique old school guys dont give a rat A** about, what oil filter they using. I just went to a biggest car show of the years, over 300+ cars. When I come to see an engine, first thing I look for is Oil filter. and 80% of those antique / high horse power / super charger taller then the wind shield. They running regular fram oil filter ( orange can ), I look over 100 cars, never seen any high dollar oil filter ( mobil 1, K&N...AMSOIL...RP...Ultra ). Seen an gone in 60 second mustang clone using purolator classic... some I see still using really old discontinue fram oil filter..

made me think ( dont take offensive here for all the old school fold, I very respect elder here ), it made me think, elder cars owners dont change their own oil any more, and just take to the local shop for an oil change mabe ?

When I go to car shows I couldn't care less about the filters that the owners use. I simply enjoy the cars and appreciate them for what they are. I would suggest you do the same.

+2

I could be termed an "old school guy", I owned & drove 225 slant 6, 383 HP, 400, 318, and 360 motors before getting the truck in my signature last year (new to me, 14,900 miles when I bought it).

Fram was a quality company when owned by Allied Signal. I've used their industrial filters for downstream finished products pipeline applications from their Facet branch. Looks like that's been spun off and merged with Peco now.

http://www.pecofacet.com/Markets/Oil-Gas

You can't argue with success, those filters and attention to detail maintenance have kept those robustly designed engines working well for decades. The OP even notes some are using discontinued models, some of them are stashers for decades too!

The only real reason I have a heightened sense of attention to engine filtration is my current truck turns cylinders on & off using solenoid valves with very fast cycles. While this engine produces more HP and torque than any other I've owned, it's also more sophisticated and my perception is the potential for trouble is greater.

My dad drove his '58 Desoto with an early hemi engine for well over 200k miles, gave it to an older cousin of mine who got another 100k miles out of it including a trip up & down Pike's Peak. A big old hunk of Detroit iron.

We ran what oil was on sale, lots of Texaco Havoline first in cardboard cans (in my memory as a kid), later in round plastic bottles, then he passed away before the rectangular plastic bottles came out. Lots of Pennzoil cardboard cans and some Quaker State cardboard cans & white round plastic bottles with the green logo, similar to the QS filters in appearance today. Well before I was driving age I was changing oil and going with dad to motor oil sales that had limits per customer so we could each ring up a case. Never needed a sophisticated filter to properly maintain those designs, got those on sale and sometimes with a rebate too (Western Auto was a great place for this, White's was kind of a second-tier spot, and sometimes places like Walgreens would have big sales on motor oil.)

Joining this site prods me to reflect on a lot of that stuff again, in a really good way.

Most of these cars dont get driven much at all so it really does not matter
And I think that the orange can looks really good on an engine and these cars are all about looks

I don't know who got us into the full flow oil filter mess, there were bypass filters or no filter unless you checked the option box for one. In the 50's 60's people were just as concerned as now, developed things like the Frantz. There just wasn't any internet to talk about it and people didn't cut open filters, at least they had no way to show anyone except their friends. It's all become a lot more materialistic with people taking sides on brands as if it were their family.

Other than the high price for an entry level filter whats wrong with Fram orange?
The cardboard end caps are not a negative, it would seem easier to glue paper to cardboard than metal.

Car shows are time capsules for the way things used to be. And it used to be, you'd run an orange fram and think nothing more!

I found a 1989 Fram at a yard sale that still had a Zayre price tag of $3.49, minimum wage was $3.20 back then. That filter would be $8 (or $15
crackmeup2.gif
) today!

Nostalgia is why these guys haven't refitted fuel injection, which would be better for the oil/engine, or why they haven't ripped (whatever) out and put in an LSx.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I could be termed an "old school guy", I owned & drove 225 slant 6, 383 HP, 400, 318, and 360 motors before getting the truck in my signature last year (new to me, 14,900 miles when I bought it).

Fram was a quality company when owned by Allied Signal. I've used their industrial filters for downstream finished products pipeline applications from their Facet branch. Looks like that's been spun off and merged with Peco now.

http://www.pecofacet.com/Markets/Oil-Gas

You can't argue with success, those filters and attention to detail maintenance have kept those robustly designed engines working well for decades. The OP even notes some are using discontinued models, some of them are stashers for decades too!

The only real reason I have a heightened sense of attention to engine filtration is my current truck turns cylinders on & off using solenoid valves with very fast cycles. While this engine produces more HP and torque than any other I've owned, it's also more sophisticated and my perception is the potential for trouble is greater.

My dad drove his '58 Desoto with an early hemi engine for well over 200k miles, gave it to an older cousin of mine who got another 100k miles out of it including a trip up & down Pike's Peak. A big old hunk of Detroit iron.

We ran what oil was on sale, lots of Texaco Havoline first in cardboard cans (in my memory as a kid), later in round plastic bottles, then he passed away before the rectangular plastic bottles came out. Lots of Pennzoil cardboard cans and some Quaker State cardboard cans & white round plastic bottles with the green logo, similar to the QS filters in appearance today. Well before I was driving age I was changing oil and going with dad to motor oil sales that had limits per customer so we could each ring up a case. Never needed a sophisticated filter to properly maintain those designs, got those on sale and sometimes with a rebate too (Western Auto was a great place for this, White's was kind of a second-tier spot, and sometimes places like Walgreens would have big sales on motor oil.)

Joining this site prods me to reflect on a lot of that stuff again, in a really good way.

Enjoyed the story. Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back