Test Drove a new 2015 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the manual gets a mechanical center diff while the cvt gets a planetary gear get with e-clutch

All I can say as it least drive it before you bash it. Put it in sport #. I may end up getting the manual, I don't know. I thought it was great.

The AWD in the CVT is technically better than the MT.

This looks a lot more fun though.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Actually, if I owned CVT and it did that pseudoshifting, I would be not happy. This is the sign of out times. Appearance is more important than the function.

By default, the WRX transmission acts like a normal CVT. If you put it into one of the sport modes, it simulates six or eight gears so you can control the ratio manually. But, if it's like the Forester, it will automatically downshift at low revs so you can't stall the engine.

That's not the best for straight line performance, but lets you manually keep the revs up for engine braking, or when driving on a twisty road.

The two real issues I'm aware of with the WRX CVT are accelerating from a standing start (since you can't slam the clutch out at 5000rpm) and acceleration above 100mph. It does have 'launch control' when you want to race away from a stop, but it's still a bit slower than the manual if you don't mind replacing the clutch regularly.

I don't care how much more efficient the CVT is, driving a
sporty car without a stick is like potatos without the steak.

There is just something innate about giving the human more direct interaction with the machine.

I have driven all manner of automatics and CVTs as well none of their electronic "brains" can deliver the reaction I want better than my own mind.

I don't care how many so called automotive "journalists" claim auto or CVTs are better, it just ain't true if you are looking for the most involving driving experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
it just ain't true if you are looking for the most involving driving experience.

A lot of people are not looking for that, but still want to drive a Subaru. And so Subaru caters to it.

Very true. I prefer manuals in many cases. I can't say one bad thing about this CVT though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
it just ain't true if you are looking for the most involving driving experience.

A lot of people are not looking for that, but still want to drive a Subaru. And so Subaru caters to it.

Subaru was smart in offerering a shiftless WRX. The 2002-2007 WRX was dreadful automatic with a 4 speed automatic dating back to the 1990's(early). They gave up 2008-2014 and then realized the world like them and offered something passable.

I have no idea on 2015 WRX but one thing they offer(WRX and my Legacy GT) is a very mechanical and connected feeling vehicle. Not sure how much that is taken away with this CVT.

MT drivers are like Apple Fan Boys. No amount a reasoning will get them to even thoughtfully consider the "other side".

I like MTs as much as the next driver. I would be driving one if it wasn't for the horrendous terrain around here that takes the joy out of a MT completely. However, the CVT I have is pretty awesome.

I disagree with the point about having less involvement in the CVT cars. This allows you to essentially select a steady RPM at the top of the torque band without it varying as you get deeper into the gears. Instead of working in a range of the band, you can stay where you want with some minor finesse. Fine, you're not shifting and working a clutch, but you have more to do with your right foot on the gas pedal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thunderfog
MT drivers are like Apple Fan Boys. No amount a reasoning will get them to even thoughtfully consider the "other side".

I like MTs as much as the next driver. I would be driving one if it wasn't for the horrendous terrain around here that takes the joy out of a MT completely. However, the CVT I have is pretty awesome.

I disagree with the point about having less involvement in the CVT cars. This allows you to essentially select a steady RPM at the top of the torque band without it varying as you get deeper into the gears. Instead of working in a range of the band, you can stay where you want with some minor finesse. Fine, you're not shifting and working a clutch, but you have more to do with your right foot on the gas pedal.

Good point.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Olas
There are some autos/cvts that respond very quickly, but they still can't look down the road and get the right gear in anticipation of the corner/hill/stop sign..
That said, I'd be interested to try it and see how it feels.

Well, that's the great thing about paddle shifters. I think having that option really helps.
Yep all the G forces makes reaching for the shifter almost impossible.

I love my manual, but there have been times when the extra "driver involvement" negatively impacted the drive. For example, occasionally if prefer to be more focused on the road and less on the car.

A few years ago I was blasting down a random North Carolina mountain background and I realized that I would have enjoyed the experience just as much had I gone the DSG route. The road was so good I was almost annoyed that I had to apportion some concentration to the task of rev matching matching downshifts. The tradeoff would have been in losing the therapy of rowing my own during my commute, which is where I spend most of my time behind the wheel.

So I totally understand why someone might prefer the CVT in the new WRX. If I were to buy a new WRX is certainly entertain the option.

I agree Mykl. I was just in the mountains of Pa this weekend and having a MT was great as it allowed me to control the gearing going up/down the hills. However, I suspect a good AT/CVT with paddle shifters would have done well also.

I have a 15 wrx and the handling is very good in my opinion. Under steer has plagued this car in past and I have yet to experience any even with torque vectoring turned off. Car is extremely composed and you can tell overall structure is very strong. Did a track day last week in it and it was a blast. Oil temp stayed at 232 or less and brakes stayed consistent all day(stoptech pads, motul fluid, stainless lines). I think interior is pretty nice actually(previous car was 12 gti). HVAC dials are more refined than gti's and Harmon Kardon audio sounds awesome. Shifter was notchy at first but has broken nicely and it has a nice mechanical action to it. The only thing I wish it had was a ski pass through in addition to the fold down rear seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back