Rhino Gear RhinoRamp (and RhinoRamp MAX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I've had the regular Rhino Ramps for probably 7 or 8 years. They work great and are very sturdy. I'd say they were a great purchase.

Same here. Mine have always worked fine, no issues with gripping even on a slick garage floor. For some cars I have to put a wooden block in front of the ramps to get a bit more clearance so that the bumper or the black plastic curb shield (for the lack of a better term) doesn't hit them on the way up/down.

I had some metal ramps for over 30 years, the Rhino ramps are much nicer...and wider. Even economy cars have wide tires these days. I also lay some 5/8 plywood in front of the ramps to gain bumper clearance when needed. Laying an old rubber floor mat just an inch or two under the leading edge of the ramp helps a bunch with the eject problem on slick concrete.

I have a set of Rhino Ramps and use them quite often. Our garage floor is very slick and I had trouble at first keeping them in place while I drove the car up on them. My solution was simple, cheap and already on hand; I just used two pieces of the rubbery drawer material you put in the bottom of a drawer that keeps stuff from moving. It works great. You can buy a roll of it for less than $5 at Walmart and cut to fit and still have plenty left over.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I have the regular Rhino Ramps. They fit under lower cars pretty well. Clearance isn't a lot, but it's enough to change oil and tranny fluid.

What do you think of the sturdiness and durability? Do they feel well made or flimsy? How much do you trust getting under your vehicles using the ramps?

I still put jackstands underneath, just to be safe. IIRC the ramps even tell you to do that.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I have a set of Rhino Ramps and use them quite often. Our garage floor is very slick and I had trouble at first keeping them in place while I drove the car up on them. My solution was simple, cheap and already on hand; I just used two pieces of the rubbery drawer material you put in the bottom of a drawer that keeps stuff from moving. It works great. You can buy a roll of it for less than $5 at Walmart and cut to fit and still have plenty left over.

I also had this problem with my Audis because they were AWD.

I know I'm late to the party, but I figure I'd add something. I have a set of these ramps, they are very sturdy and are easy to drive up on with no slip. However the end stops to prevent you from going over them are not too good. I could be just an idiot, but yes, I am man enough to admit with very little throttle I planted my little Jetta right over them. Luckily they landed in the wheel well and I was able to slide them to the side without jacking the car up. No damage occurred (well, beside my pride...).

Originally Posted By: Delta
I know I'm late to the party, but I figure I'd add something. I have a set of these ramps, they are very sturdy and are easy to drive up on with no slip. However the end stops to prevent you from going over them are not too good. I could be just an idiot, but yes, I am man enough to admit with very little throttle I planted my little Jetta right over them. Luckily they landed in the wheel well and I was able to slide them to the side without jacking the car up. No damage occurred (well, beside my pride...).

Same thing happened to me with my set of Rhino's. It was the first time I used them. I had assumed that the grip pads would be sufficient. With very little throttle, I went over them with my Versa. I felt like a horse's behind after that...
crazy.gif

I now place some grip mats underneath whenever I use the things, and have had no issues.

I needed some ramps that would fit under my Challenger after I lowered it a couple of inches, and the standard plastic/metal variety normally found around town were abject failures at being usable (Rhino were no exception in my particular scenario).

Naturally, the Race Ramps would have been my next choice, but the price point was too high for me at the time.

My solution ended up being buying a couple of 2"x10"x12' boards and cutting them up and screwing them together so that they made a stepped, three-tier design ramp which would not collapse and could be driven up on by a lower than normal car.

Also, I affixed some rubber grip tape to the underside so they would not slide around on slick surfaces.

All in all, they were just what the doctor ordered - inexpensive, sturdy, extremely useful. Can't beat that with a stick IMO.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
My solution ended up being buying a couple of 2"x10"x12' boards and cutting them up and screwing them together so that they made a stepped, three-tier design ramp which would not collapse and could be driven up on by a lower than normal car.

All in all, they were just what the doctor ordered - inexpensive, sturdy, extremely useful. Can't beat that with a stick IMO.

I built a set like that - the trust factor while underneath the car is 100% when I use them, but they are HEAVY! Definitely not a portable design.

I bought a set of the 12,000 pound rated Rhino ramps and haven't had any trouble for the four years or so I've had them. I'm surprised to read about the slipping problems. Mine stay put even on the slick garage floor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
Originally Posted By: The_Nuke

I built a set like that - the trust factor while underneath the car is 100% when I use them, but they are HEAVY! Definitely not a portable design.

I bought a set of the 12,000 pound rated Rhino ramps and haven't had any trouble for the four years or so I've had them. I'm surprised to read about the slipping problems. Mine stay put even on the slick garage floor.

As I clear away the foggy haze cheap alcohol tends to leave in my brain, I seem to remember my main issue with the Rhino Ramps was they weren't long enough and thus their incline was too sharp. The front valance on the car would hit them before the tires got there, and I would end up just pushing them forward as I tried to drive up on them.

It was the steel kind that I could never get to stay put on the garage floor. The tires would travel up about two inches and then invariably one of them would shoot out from under the car.

I have a set of Rhinos that are 20+ years old. After about 15 years the rubber feet dried out and allowed the ramps to slide on the garage floor. Now I use a piece of rubber carpet padding under each ramp to prevent slipping.

The Rhino company went bankrupt a few years back, and then their product support was non-existent. Not sure how it is now.

Advance Auto Parts is offering the 16,000 lb version for $35 a pair after online purchase(P/U in store)+promo code

Be VERY cautious with the 8,000# rated Rhino Ramps. I had a pair split after a few years of routine D-I-Y oil changes with passenger cars. The 12,000# rated versions have significantly more reinforcement and is what I am now using - following a full visual inspection prior to each use.

They still don't fit well beneath low cars so I made adapters out of 2x12 lumber and some 1/2 inch ABX plywood.

18364.jpg

19174.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently the 12,000 lb versions are only good for 6000 lbs. I take this to mean half a 12,000 lb vehicle because the ramps say they can only handle 3000 lbs each. I always thought they could hold 12,000 lbs or 6000 lbs each. Nope

I imagine the 16,000 lb versions would be able to hold 4000 lbs each then.

Looking back, I wish I bought the 16Ks rather than the 12K. They can hold my dads truck no problem, but the tires are too wide for my liking to even try. Oh well.. I bought them so I could change the oil in the GFs Volvo without removing the front bumper. They worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back