I want to scream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
You're going to blame it on the shop rather than the guy who thought he would have an sae standard drain plug?

In fairness, isn't there a constitutional amendment requiring the Big Three to use SAE fasteners?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Oh, what a surprise more incompetence from your local
auto repair and service shop!

Horrible, horrible industry. And they just keep right on
proving it every single day.

You're going to blame it on the shop rather than the guy who thought he would have an sae standard drain plug?

I take this as a shot at my ignorance to a vehicle I have never been under...

A wise man once told me: "There is no such thing as a stupid question... only stupid people."

I asked since I did not know. So, thank you sir for proving the latter.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: MGPD03
Long story short, the dinky head of the drain plug combined with soft metal (and the aforementioned Hulk) has left me with a need for an adult beverage, a pending Amazon order for a bolt extractor set, and a need for a replacement drain plug.

Does that mean you twisted the head off the bolt?

In all honesty, it looked as if it had a head-start on being rounded off during the course of its lifetime. I just seem to have finished the task. I'll wait until I get the replacement plug in, of course, to try all of the recommendations to remove the offending plug.

A wise man once told me: "There is no such thing as a stupid question... only stupid people."

smile.gif

I apologize, I didn't mean that to be a rip on you. Antiqueshell's philosophy is that every shop out there has 6th grade dropout employees who drool at the chance to damage your car or $teal from you.

It was more likely stripped due to time and poor design. Even if you did strip it, it happens and there is no shame in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
I would not replace it with a 10mm headed OEM.

Why? When installed/removed correctly with quality tools, the OE design will work satisfactorily.

Last edited:

Does that mean you twisted the head off the bolt?

In all honesty, it looked as if it had a head-start on being rounded off during the course of its lifetime. I just seem to have finished the task. I'll wait until I get the replacement plug in, of course, to try all of the recommendations to remove the offending plug.

And I still don't know what happened.

Let me ask the question a different way: Is the drain plug still in one piece?

I hope you never consider a career of writing text books.
grin2.gif

I had to take the skidplate off my truck this weekend; it has some 12mm bolts holding it up. Plate is not that heavy, yet I almost needed a breaker bar to break 'em loose. Dealership rebuilt the front diff (which is behind the plate)... same place that stripped a lugnut (had to pull a wheel to replace an axleshaft as part of the TSB also)... and then installed a bad lug on top of it.

Makes me real trusting of that rebuilt diff!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Why? When installed/removed correctly with quality tools, the OE design will work satisfactorily.

Because 10mm is barely adequate at 120 in/lb, especially if you have to go to quickee lube occasionally. The hex should be larger than the thread.

Yep pretty standard from the morons that get $8 an hour to change oil. If the head was good you could try hitting it with an impact gun in reverse. Hopefully it comes back out with the threads in tact.

Last edited:

I apologize, I didn't mean that to be a rip on you. Antiqueshell's philosophy is that EVERY shop out there has 6th grade dropout employees who drool at the chance to damage your car or $teal from you.

It was more likely stripped due to time and poor design. Even if you did strip it, it happens and there is no shame in it.

Why do you insist on twisting my statements repeatedly?

I NEVER said that ALL shops are horrible...just MOST of them.
It's a fact.

Last edited:

Because 10mm is barely adequate at 120 in/lb, especially if you have to go to quickee lube occasionally. The hex should be larger than the thread.

A 10mm head is more than adequate for the torque required- haven't you ever dealt with reduced head bolts? They'll run them up past 30lbs in some cases.

I stick by what I said- if proper tools are used during removal and installation, the plug will be just fine.

The drain plug is either in two pieces with the head twisted clear off, or the drain plug is in one piece with the corners rounded off. I can't make heads or tails whether it's one or the other.
confused2.gif

The drain plug on my modern Mini fits no wrench or socket I've seen. (I have all the SAE and metric sizes.) It has the numbers "4.8" stamped in it, and has the hardness a little above silly putty. It's tiny. Every time I take it out, I tell myself "this is the last time...".

My 1975 BMW has this ginormous plug with DEEP threads, at least 10 of them, I can unscrew it half way and it still won't leak oil. It will never, ever, need to be "fixed".

A 10mm head is more than adequate for the torque required- haven't you ever dealt with reduced head bolts? They'll run them up past 30lbs in some cases.

I stick by what I said- if proper tools are used during removal and installation, the plug will be just fine.

+1 Of course it is. Some brake caliper brackets are reduced head size and use 130lb torque on a 14 mm head.

The drain plug is either in two pieces with the head twisted clear off, or the drain plug is in one piece with the corners rounded off. I can't make heads or tails whether it's one or the other.
confused2.gif

I guess I could have been clearer. It is, in fact, still there but rounded off. It appears that the previous owner(s)/repair shop(s)/quick lube(s) had started the downward spiral ahead of me by using wrong/ill-fitting wrenches/sockets or too much force in either direction.

smile.gif

I think what he's implying is that you probably rounded it off because you used an SAE tool on a metric fastener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back