Has Audi's reliability improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Maybe I am incorrect but I understand DSG fluid change costs nearly $400 for a dealer to perform and it seems often from VW/Audi owners I know. Acura(aka Honda) is bolt affair.

That's fair, I forgot about DSG servicing costs; it's supposed to happen every 40k miles.

Mine has a manual clutch, which is why I hadn't considered that.

Unfortunately my Toyota doesn't have one of the nice old drain and fill type transmissions. It doesn't even have a proper drain plug, which makes me sad.

WHAT?!?! Which one is that? That's one of the things I loved about many Asian cars was the easy trans service and ability to do maintenance easily and cheaply on them.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
WHAT?!?! Which one is that? That's one of the things I loved about many Asian cars was the easy trans service and ability to do maintenance easily and cheaply on them.

Unfortunately Toyota's newer gearboxes are of the "sealed" variety with "lifetime" fluid. I believe any newer Toyota/Lexus with a V-6 engine or bigger will have this type of gearbox in it (some I-4s too).

Changing the fluid in one of these is something you *can* do yourself, but it's not as simple as drain->fill->check dip-stick (because there's no dipstick either).

The process involves draining through one of the hoses that leads to the radiator and filling through an observation port, then setting the level based on fluid temp.

Here's a good DIY...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...flush-pics.html

I decided the whole mess was a huge headache, so I brought the car to a dealership to get the fluid swapped out. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was a lot more than if I could have just drained the fluid and refilled it the old way.

To bring this post back around to Audis.... the process for changing the fluid in their auto gearboxes is similar, from what I've been lead to believe (but I think they have a proper drain plug). My understanding is that in order to do it "right" you need a VAG-COM to set the level according to fluid temperature. That is not a cheap tool, although the tool and the supplies still costs less than if you were to take the car to have the service done at the dealership.

This was one of the factors that moved me away from Toyota when I had a 2011 Camry that I wasn't in love with. Long story...I traded it for other reasons, but the lack of easy DIY maintenance was a real turn-off for me.

Max you 401k ($17,500 each person per year) and Roth IRA ($5,500 each person per year, if eligible). If you can do that then spend whats left. If not don't spend yourself poor. Last year was the first year I could max my 401k and also Roth IRA. Every increase in pay I increased my 401k contributions so I didn't even get a raise at the end of the day. If you both are maxing both then splurge and buy a potentially unreliable vehicle if you think it will fill a hole in your life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
Max you 401k ($17,500 each person per year) and Roth IRA ($5,500 each person per year, if eligible). If you can do that then spend whats left. If not don't spend yourself poor. Last year was the first year I could max my 401k and also Roth IRA. Every increase in pay I increased my 401k contributions so I didn't even get a raise at the end of the day. If you both are maxing both then splurge and buy a potentially unreliable vehicle if you think it will fill a hole in your life.

Hear, hear!
cheers3.gif

I didn't always think this way, but as I got older and worked some different jobs, I've come to this realization / mindset and embrace it fully. I don't enjoy going to work everyday, so I might as well try and end it sooner! Some people enjoy work and/or define themselves/success via their career - that's fine, but that's not me.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Yup. When I was still working, I rode my motorcycle to work most of the time. When it rained, or whatever, I drove my ancient '88 4runner. One of the guys I supervised was always making comments about why the boss would drive such an old heap. One day, I said to him, "Drive a new car, or retire a year earlier........That is the choice I made." He got a funny look on his face, and said "I never thought of it that way!"

Agreed. Unfortunately, the original posters' desire to run out and purchase (making payments) or lease a new car because his wife started a new job shows a remarkable ignorance of financial responsibility.

Some people practice "Spend what you have left after you save", and others practice "Save what you have left after you spend (if anything).

Originally Posted By: Guitarmageddon

Obviously Id be a bit partial, but I had a 2007 A4, for 30,000 miles of its life and now a 2007 s4 for 27,000 miles of its life. No major issues with either. Where in the midwest are you?

Im always very well taken care of at dealers (with their warranty or with my third-party warranty) and have only been at one that I would not recommend.

Going through 2 vehicles in less than 60,000 miles isn't exactly a rousing endorsement for reliability, especially when you follow it with a glowing review of their warranty and a third party warranty.

I was able to get far more trouble free miles out of my old Elantra than you managed out of two Audis. And I never needed to buy a warranty on any vehicle that I currently own or have ever owned.

With an Audi,BMW or VW it is not called reliability it is called fine German craftsmanship. The expensive repairs are the reward and the prestige of "making" the investment in that fine German craftsmanship.

I would rather have fancy cars ,alcohol, drugs and hookers than wisely invest my $$$ for the future. The Government will protect me.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

Hear, hear!
cheers3.gif

I didn't always think this way, but as I got older and worked some different jobs, I've come to this realization / mindset and embrace it fully. I don't enjoy going to work everyday, so I might as well try and end it sooner! Some people enjoy work and/or define themselves/success via their career - that's fine, but that's not me.

Why do some people assume someone else finances? My mortgage has long been paid off, she rolled her 401K over and her new employer matches up to 6%, I have long had a Roth and work a job with a pension and can retire at 54.

Porsche is way cooler than an Audi. I haven't owned one since the late 1970s and they were reasonably priced until everyone wanted a 911. I sat in one a few years ago and it felt real good .familiar.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: surfstar

Hear, hear!
cheers3.gif

Why do some people assume someone else finances? My mortgage has long been paid off, she rolled her 401K over and her new employer matches up to 6%, I have long had a Roth and work a job with a pension and can retire at 54.

Probably because there aren't a whole lot of people who have managed their finances properly. Seems even retiring earlysomething tells me you will keep busy.

I'd say the A4 is a reliable car. It is Audi's volume seller in Europe so they needed to get this one nearly perfect including making it reliable, and fairly reasonable costs to service and repair.

Actually VW and Audi have come a long way in the past decade.
If they are not right at Hyundai levels of reliability they are darn close. The most important thing that VW and Audi should do to gain the trust of potential new customers is to match Hyundai's warranty terms.

In terms of driving satisfaction most VW/Audi products still far outperform anything from Hyundai, Honda, and Toyota/Lexus at about the same price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd say the A4 is a reliable car. It is Audi's volume seller in Europe so they needed to get this one nearly perfect including making it reliable, and fairly reasonable costs to service and repair.

If they are not right at Hyundai levels of reliability they are darn close. The most important thing that VW and Audi should do to gain the trust of potential new customers is to match Hyundai's warranty terms.

In terms of driving satisfaction most VW/Audi products still far outperform anything from Hyundai, Honda, and Toyota/Lexus at about the same price.

As a tech that has worked on quite a few A4s, newer and older, and other VW/Audi's... no... just no they have not.

VW/Audi "Hey guys we fixed the ignition coil problem... but introduced a horrible direct injection that kills power, gas mileage, and requires expensive work to patch as there is no fix."

Every time a new model comes out its always the same "They fixed all those issues..." yea then they introduce more issues that are harder too fix if they can even be fixed.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Unsolicited financial advice is given out here like candy on Halloween. As well-intentioned as it sometimes is (some posters seem to have more positive motives than others), you are absolutely correct that it's none of our business how you spend your money.

VW/Audi "Hey guys we fixed the ignition coil problem... but introduced a horrible direct injection that kills power, gas mileage, and requires expensive work to patch as there is no fix."

The direct injection system was a true nightmare on our friends' 2005 (or close) A4 with the V-6 engine. The local German car garage couldn't fix it, and the local VW dealer couldn't fix it. They had to drive it to an Audi dealer 40 miles away and it took them quite literally 5 weeks to fix it. The dealer gave them a loaner on a way-out-of-warranty repair, so that was good of them. Still...it's a headache they're ready to be rid of.

No, not at all. I owned an 04' A4 1.8T Quattro, it was a nightmare to say the least.

Again, nope! Although this is much more subjective than the prior.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Maybe the higher end German cars need more attention?

They do not. This myth will never die.

If I removed the BMW branding from a 3-series or A4 maintenance booklet, you'd never know it was from a German car.

As a tech that has worked on quite a few A4s, newer and older, and other VW/Audi's... no... just no they have not.

Every time a new model comes out its always the same "They fixed all those issues..." yea then they introduce more issues that are harder too fix if they can even be fixed.

The first-gen FSI (direct inject) motors had carbon buildup issues, yes. The new vapor reclamation system they started using a few years ago resolved that. As a sign of good faith, Audi offered extra warranty coverage against the buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back