How long to develop a tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most tires are not designed from scratch. Generally what happens is the tire manufacturer says we want to make X type of tire. Given what we are looking for, what casing can we pull of the shelf. Then they usually pull a casing design of the shelf and go from there with tread and compound design.

Some tires come to market pretty quick. Top tier manufacturers already know what works, so the R&D time isnt too long.

There is a lot of new technology which has been rolling out that obviously has more time involved.

I will get ahold of my Mast engineerinengineering buddy tomorrow to see if he can provide a more accurate timeline for you.

This is an extremely broad question that I believe has no real answer, kind of like the question below?

"Is it colder on the farm or in the winter?"

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Anyone know how long does it take to develop a new tire from start to finish?

As has been pointed out, there would be a difference if you started from scratch, or merely modified an existing product.

Plus, it depends on what you mean.

If you include the time to gather data, so you can set the performance goals - and you include testing to verify that the goals have been meet - and you include the time needed to get all the equipment needed to produce - we could be talking 3 years.

However, if we are talking about a quick, single size addition, with no testing, and the only new equipment is molds, we could be talking 6 months - 6 weeks for an emergency.

What would the cost of a new tire mold be, say a 275/70/18E winter type tread?
How many tires would it take to recover the cost of developing and tooling up for
an entire line of light truck tires and using just one of those tires to figure out
the total?

Would 200 of each of the sizes be a close guess or 2,000?

Take the Toyo OC/CT for example.

In the millions of dollars, what would be a close guess to roll out this new line
of light truck tires?

When I purchase new tires or anything else for that matter I look at the country
of origin.
Canada first, USA second, the rest can pick a number.

The Toyo White, Georgia plant could mean the difference between picking either a
Toyo, Nitto or Hankook.

Eighty percent of the tires I buy are either Canadian or American made.

As foolish as it may seem to some, it makes perfectly good sense to me.

I'll guess $100 million per tire size from start to finish to develop, build molds, test
and inventory the major warehouses in North America alone.
I'm guessing the molds at $120,000 each, and 2,000 of each size as a bare minimum
initial run.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
What would the cost of a new tire mold be, say a 275/70/18E winter type tread?
How many tires would it take to recover the cost of developing and tooling up for
an entire line of light truck tires and using just one of those tires to figure out
the total?

Would 200 of each of the sizes be a close guess or 2,000?

Take the Toyo OC/CT for example.

In the millions of dollars, what would be a close guess to roll out this new line
of light truck tires?

When I purchase new tires or anything else for that matter I look at the country
of origin.
Canada first, USA second, the rest can pick a number.

The Toyo White, Georgia plant could mean the difference between picking either a
Toyo, Nitto or Hankook.

Eighty percent of the tires I buy are either Canadian or American made.

As foolish as it may seem to some, it makes perfectly good sense to me.

I just don't know the answer to those questions - but I am probably the person in the best position to estimate. I hope you will understand if I go ahead with the understanding I could be wrong.

I think I heard that new molds cost $60K each - usually bought in pairs.

I think we are talking 10K tires for amortization cost - although I'll bet accountants would point out you could vary this cost and come up with any value you wanted.

If used continually, molds last about 3 years before they have to be refurbished.

I don't think quality is a country of origin kind of thing. There may be some correlation between the country where the company is based - and that may impact the quality of the country of manufacture.

Last edited:
I'll guess $100 million per tire size from start to finish to develop, build molds, test
I'm guessing the molds at $120,000 each, and 2,000 of each size as a bare minimum
initial run.

If I do the math $100 million divided by 2,000 = $50,000 each tire. Doesn't sound right.

Let me walk this backwards:

If a tire sells for $100 each, I have been told that the car door cost (what it costs to make it - labor, materials, and the cost of the plant), is about $50. The other $50 is distribution costs, and administrative costs. Development would be part of the administrative cost - and I'm going to estimate this at about $5. This would NOT include the cost of the molds nor any of the equipment. Just the R&D costs to get everything in place.

$100M per tire size?
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back