Is there a better fuel stabizer out there today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a better fuel stabizer out now or are they all the same? Im going to give star tron a try this season.. many great reviews on it. Stabil just seems like old school but it does work.

I use nothing and have no storage issues.
I used to think that this stuff was worth using, but having gone without it for years, I've come to the opinion that it mainly stabilizes your wallet by making it lighter.

I buy a bottle at the end of mowing season, and pour a little in the gas tank of the lawnmower ,and fill it up with fresh gas.

Never had a fuel related problem.

Also fall is a good time to change the oil, filter, and plug.

I do all three every year because a plug is 99 cents.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I use nothing and have no storage issues.
I used to think that this stuff was worth using, but having gone without it for years, I've come to the opinion that it mainly stabilizes your wallet by making it lighter.

My brother also uses nothing in his garage queen/ when-i-get-to-it project mustang.(98GT,5speed, >15,000 actual miles) couple years back he had to replace either just the pump, or the whole tank, as the "gasoline" in it had all turned to varnish...

would this have happened if he had used stabil or some other additive?
21.gif

If you are forced/chose to use ethanol laced fuel, prob need to use a stabilizer better suited for corn liquor. pure-gas.org

I use marine stabil, and i add 1 ounce of tcw 3 to 5 gallons, for my last mowings. I fill the tanks on my ope less air in the tanks means less moisture to condense.

How long had it sat?
I've had gas sit for more than a couple of years with no problems at all.
Whether a fuel stabilizer would help under long-term storage conditions IDK.

Stabil Marine can be used in just about any fuel system. I use it in a lot of classic cars that do not get driven enough. LOL. Works well in my tractors/snowblowers too. No issues means its good stuff. LOL.

Last edited:
I've been using the G-Oil Stabilizer for the past 7 or 8 years.

http://www.getg.com/G-OIL/fuel_stabilizer.php

It's been really inexpensive at Walmart & Meijer. It's worked fine for my yard type equipment (mowers, weed wacker, chainsaw). I don't use this for automobiles personally.

It does have a very distinctive bouquet that's hard to strip off - I use cheap disposable food handler's gloves when I use it, and I add it near the outdoor garbage can so the gloves can go in the can quickly. I e-mailed the company about their bottle & syringe design and they said they agreed there should be something better and were working on it.

My guess is the proprietary oxidative stabilizer is some form of hindered phenols. But that's just an educated guess.

Originally Posted By: forcedtalon
Is there a better fuel stabizer out now or are they all the same? Im going to give star tron a try this season.. many great reviews on it. Stabil just seems like old school but it does work.

Startron has worked great for me. Same with GET's stabilizer.

Stabil products worked OK but not as good as the first two mentioned. Stabil took a bit longer to start up first time after winter storage.

Nobody uses PRI-G? It works for storage and as a cleaning additive. A few years ago my son's atv would not start as he left it sitting for almost 12 months. Then who knows how old the gas was as he said he used gas from a can that had been sitting around. I poured in a small amount of the PRI-G, rocked the atv back and forth to mix the tank up and after a couple of tries I got it started.
The marine rated Stabil is supposedly good too.

I just bought a bottle of Stabil 360 ... very expensive stuff. 12 ounces for $20+

I like the idea that the fumes from this stuff supposedly form a corrosion resistant film on the inside of the gas tank ... but I'll never know if it actually works as advertised inside my S2000's tank. The bottle will last 2-3 years.

What I ended up using this year is a good dose of star tron and lucas fuel lube for the cylinder walls. My car is stored in a heated garage so I really dont have to worry about condensation but a dry start up I dont like. I could fog each cylinder but thats a little over kill for how log it will be stored and the conditions its getting stored in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back