Set my mind at ease, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I changed oil and tried PP for the first time: the old PP, not the ultra. Also used an 'over-sized' M1 filter to allow more oil in the crankcase. (I drive a Saturn....)

Once it hit the Full line on the dipstick there was about a half-quart left in the jug. Not wanting to deal with storing that and chancing a spill from an opened jug, I shrugged and dumped it in. Now, I've heard folks say they do the same; also my Saturn will burn oil soon enough anyway---it's better than most Saturns but it still burns some....but the paranoid part of me now waits for the engine to blow.

That won't happen due to an extra pint of oil. Right?

As I burn oil, I overfill my SL2 often, no worries. Typically if I check it I'm going to put some in, and I dump in up to an extra half a quart if that is what is sitting in the bottle. 214K and it hasn't blown up from overfilling.

When I was letting the stealer do my first few oil changes on my then new 07 Accord they routinely overfilled the 4.5qt sump to ~5qts. And the 01 Civic with ~210k miles I maintain uses a bit of oil, also has a small sump, so I overfill the sump up to 1 pint because I don't see it that often and want the extra insurance.

In other words, don't sweat it.

I still can't believe some engines require only 4 quarts; that's ridiculous as heck. I'd still put the whole jug in there anyway; if the engine chokes on it, so be it!!

On start up the oil is normally well below the crank. When it's running perhaps 1/2 quart is up in the engine making it's way back to the pan. This lowers the level of oil in the pan even more, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:
There a cap that came with the oil container?. A half quart over is fine.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There a cap that came with the oil container?. A half quart over is fine.

Yes, it has a cap. I don't trust open containers of anything. Driving a Saturn and being a car geek you learn to live with adding a half-quart or less now and then if you obsess about the Full line. Most of the time I try to add a full quart or nothing. I am lucky, as my Satty does not burn too much oil by Saturn standards.

Thanks for the advice, gents. Not that I was all that worried, but now I can sleep at night....

I've routinely overfilled cars by 1/4 or 1/2 quart to make it an even number and to try to limit the number of partial bottles around. One of which was a 2003 Malibu V6 that the engine was still running fantastic in when we sold it at over 150,000 miles. It called for 4.6 quarts, but I'd put in 5 quarts. I'm thinking of doing the same with my Firebird that calls for 4.5 quarts. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've done it as well. If you don't have a place to store the 1/2 quart better in the crankcase than in the drain pan.

I really doubt it's enough excess to cause windage problems or foaming. In reality it's 1/4in difference, or the same as driving on an incline.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I still can't believe some engines require only 4 quarts; that's ridiculous as heck. I'd still put the whole jug in there anyway; if the engine chokes on it, so be it!!

Why is it ridiculous?!!

OP, i dont think 1/2 qt will cause any harm especially if its going to burn some.

It will be fine, but I don't know why you worry more about a half quart of oil with the cap on than you do an engine with too much oil.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Why is it ridiculous?!!

Because all car engines should have a 5-quart sump minimum.

4-quarts has to work a lot harder than 5-quarts.

My buddy's 2008 Impala V6 only holds 4 qts - he's paranoid about letting it get low and he only uses full synthetic. 4 qts doesn't seem bad in a small 4 cylinder, but it does seem low in a V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back