Gulf Racing 5W60

Status
Not open for further replies.
B8dF8kw.png

That oil is about as exclusive as it gets (as in: you have to import it from France for $15/quart). But is it any good for cars that are asking for a 10W60?

Last edited:
I don't know if it is appropriate for anything but I do love how the CCS data presented seems to support the theory that visc roughly doubles every 5C, which can be useful to extrapolate backwards to compare 0w-xx oils to 5w-xx oils.

3300 CCS @ -25C? That's pretty good. A casual bout of research says that's better than many 10w-30s. but I usually see 5w measured @ -30C.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
3300 CCS @ -25C? That's pretty good. A casual bout of research says that's better than many 10w-30s. but I usually see 5w measured @ -30C.

That's because 5W is required to be measured at -30C. It is probably bang-on the limit for a 5W given the visc @ -25C, which you'd double to get the approx. visc at -30C.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

That oil is about as exclusive as it gets (as in: you have to import it from France for $15/quart). But is it any good for cars that are asking for a 10W60?

So what cars that spec' the 10W-60 grade are imported into NA?
BMW, Bugatti and some older model Ferrari's etc.
So for mass produced cars it's just BMW and it doesn't seem to specifically have BMW approval.

Anyway an interesting oil brand and I know they also offer a 0W-30 and 5W-40 that would have more general appeal.
They had a booth at the Montreal F1 GP I attended a couple of years ago. Picked up some brochures and racing posters.
I wanted to like this oil but really you're just paying a premium for the name.

It states that it can be used in 4t motorcycles. If I could find it at a decent price I'd give it a try as a summer oil. Fat chance though.

Has a pretty respectabale pour point of -45 C., for a 5-60.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back