How to get liquid out of aerosol can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a can of WD40 that has run out of propellant but seems to have a sizeable amount of liquid left.

What's the best way to get the liquid out?

You can get a refrigeration can side tapper...it's what I use to get liquid isobutane out of a can and into a Weller cylinder...expensive way to crack the WD40 nut.

If there is no pressure left inside you should be able to poke it somewhere to drain it. I think the can would prove much too flimsy for a filter cutter.

Used my garage tin opener on the bottom of the can and transferred the contents to a plastic tub.

There was a period when I also had a difficult time getting all the WD 40 out too. Several cans I bought when they first came out with that smart straw thing that flips up from the side of the can were screwed up. They were obviously defective.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I have a can of WD40 that has run out of propellant but seems to have a sizeable amount of liquid left.

What's the best way to get the liquid out?

I drill two holes in the can. One for venting up high and the other at the bottom to get the liquid out. I let it drain into a spray bottle with a funnel. It won't blow up... ;-P

Regards, JC.

I haven't gotten the stones to open an aerosol but there's a little tank inside the big can that somehow pressurizes a straw that dispenses your stuff.

Supposedly, whipped cream cans are still full of whipped cream when the nitrous runs out, and you can top a couple more desserts. They might be good to experiment with.
20.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I used a nail. IMO, Drilling or cutting is likely to contaminate the leftover stuff in the can.

That's what I would recommend, too...if I were willing to spend a few minutes of my time...but my time is worth a lot more than the pennies' worth of left-over silicone liquid in there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back