Car Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at the cost since "get a rental" is commonly tossed out there as one possible solution to one's vehicle needs.

In this case, I'd drive the Jetta to where I could pick up a rental and park it there. And in this case I could get the rental the day before, or the morning of, as I'm sure I could swing into a place on my usual drive.

But if I had only N vehicles then yes it'd be a pain to get a rental if my vehicle died. 30 miles to the closest rental place (and that is each way, not round trip).

I see one, but they aren't making it easy to find a rate.

Through my employer, I can rent just about anything on the lot at a $33 a day rate, which includes the damage waiver for free. This is through National or Enterprise. I can utilize this rate for personal travel as well.

I can get smaller cars for a $27-$29... but why?

Last $33 a day rental was a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder SL. They had a brand spankin' new 2015 Suburban, but it was already spoken for.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Try Hotwire. You have to prepay and can't cancel or change your reservation, so you need to be certain your schedule won't change. You also don't know what company you'll be getting, but it almost always seems to be Hertz or Alamo.

Yeah this! Last time I rented I could have gotten a hyundai accident for $13 or a dodge charger for $14. I spent the extra buck.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Try Hotwire. You have to prepay and can't cancel or change your reservation, so you need to be certain your schedule won't change. You also don't know what company you'll be getting, but it almost always seems to be Hertz or Alamo.

Yeah this! Last time I rented I could have gotten a hyundai accident for $13 or a dodge charger for $14. I spent the extra buck.
laugh.gif

Lol my brain actually read "Hyundai Accident" as "Hyundai Accent", can't be much of a difference.

Took the truck, 550miles round trip. I did 70mph for about the first half the trip up, then realized I was running behind so I did 80--places to be, things to do. On the way back I did 80 most of it also. I've found the Scanguage to be more cumbersome than not for keeping in cal, but "calibrating" for the last fillup and using that data (as I did not fill up at the end) I got 18.2mpg for the trip. I've seen 21mpg while doing 60mph so 18 at 80 seems ok, for what kind of vehicle it is.

18.2 is great for a big truck at high speeds. I'm kind of an impatient person. I'd rather get lower mpg and get to where I'm going in a reasonable time. Although the Beetle it doesn't seem to matter too much with the speed for mpg

Yeah, funny how a 10% hit in mpg on a car that could top 50mpg doesn't hurt as much as on a truck that gets 20mpg on a good day! Same 10% factor yet one hurts more than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back