What oil for a 2005 Explorer 4.6L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I purchased a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD with the 4.6L V8. It has 218,300 on the clock and was a local Atlanta one owner vehicle. It is super clean, tight and there are no runs, drips or leaks. The previous owner used a local Firestone tire and lube center with 3,000 mile OCIs. My guess is that it only ever saw dino oil....Kendall is what the sticker has pre-printed on it. I have no idea of the actual brand used. The filler cap has 5W-20 listed as the correct oil to use.

I am thinking about running PYB 5W-30 with an Ultra filter and 5,000 OCIs. Thoughts?

I'll be changing the oil next weekend and sending a sample over to Blackstone for analysis.

Depends on what you want to run for drain intervals. I'd be comfortable starting with a 7,500 mile OCI with M1 AFE 0w-20 and a Motorcraft filter, UOA and increase OCI from there.

^What OVERKILL said.

The 4.6L calls for 5w20

The 4.0L calls for 5w30

Use a 20 weight oil, no reason not to

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Depends on what you want to run for drain intervals. I'd be comfortable starting with a 7,500 mile OCI with M1 AFE 0w-20 and a Motorcraft filter, UOA and increase OCI from there.

I am thinking of not running a full syn oil. My thinking is that at 218,300 miles and a diet of only dino oil running a syn might not treat the seals right and they would shrink and leak. I don't want to start a leak. The PYB should help with cleaning, if there is any to be done, and still provide a solid level of protection.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
For a Ford modular, MC 5W-20 FTW.

I have never used MC oil and don't know a lot about it. I looked on Walmart.com and they are selling MC syn blend for $18 in the 5W-20 five qt jug. That is cheap. I'll have to look in the UOA section and see if I can find an MC oil results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta

I am thinking of not running a full syn oil. My thinking is that at 218,300 miles and a diet of only dino oil running a syn might not treat the seals right and they would shrink and leak. I don't want to start a leak. The PYB should help with cleaning, if there is any to be done, and still provide a solid level of protection.

It won't leak. The oil has the same seal conditioners as the conventional oils. What causes leaks is the cleaning, so if you are thinking of running PYB for the cleaning, the results would be the same.

The advantage of the full syn is the ability to extend the OCI and the cold temp performance, both of which are advantages over PYB.

The Modular engines aren't prone to leaks in the first place so I wouldn't be overly concerned here.

I forgot to include in my original post that this vehicle will be a short tripper during the week. Less than 7 - 10 miles daily. Weekends will likely see more road time.

Not sure that will matter but wanted to put it out there.

OVERKILL - good to know these engines are not prone to leaking. Extended OCIs are not a big deal nor is the cold. I live in Alanta where 30 degrees is considered
really cold.
grin.gif

Living in Canada like you do, 30 degrees is still shorts and t-shirt weather.

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta

A syn probably won't effect the seals but in any case, Kendell is a synthetic blend, not "dino."

Quote:
A syn probably won't effect the seals but in any case, Kendell is a synthetic blend, not "dino."

I didn't know Kendall was a blend. I hit their web page and read that Conoco makes them and the MC oil. I just got back from Wal-Mart and they didn't have MC in the 5 qt jug nor did they even carry Kendall.

I went with Maxlife 5W-20 and the XG2 Ultra filter. I have had great success with Maxlife in my Escape so why not use it in the Explorer.

Thanks to everyone that had input. This is what makes BITOG such a great resource.

Great engine. I'm not a big fan of 5w20's but the 4.6 thrives on it, any name brand 5w20 will do with the PYB being an excellent choice IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back