Subaru Extra-S VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
ENEOS gear oil is as good or better than Subaru Extra-S for a little less coin. I use it in my Forester, smooth buttery shifts. cSt of 14.7. It is the stinkiest "gear oil smell" gear oil I've yet encountered, so it must be loaded with EP additive... although a VOA is the only way to tell.

FWIW, the CVT fluid Subaru's (so equipped) leave the factory with is supplied to them by ENEOS (JX Nippon Oil Ltd).

Quote:
WIW, the CVT fluid Subaru's (so equipped) leave the factory with is supplied to them by ENEOS (JX Nippon Oil Ltd).

Good to know, thanks.

Originally Posted By: buster
After 400 miles on Extra S, the car is shifting so much better and it's now completely silent. This is the fluid to use in Subaru MT's. Highly regarded on many subaru forums.

Going to sample it by the year end.

Just curious, and resurrecting an older thread...

Any chance you were able to sample the Extra-S in your MT to see how it held up?

Quote:
Seems to be a little light on Phosphorous for a GL5. In the closet GL4?

The EP additive is a phosphorylated borate. Good stuff!

Sulfur is probably 3500 to 5500 ppm in the form of a sulfurized olefin.

Last edited:
just to make things more confusing they now have

subaru extra MT

which is a 75w80 GL-5

There were/are a lot of guys on the STI forums that would experiment with other fluids for reasons I never understood, I always thought this was great stuff for that particular car. I think the only issue I ever had with it was a hard 1-2 shift if the car sat outside overnight in freezing temperatures, which was something I could live with.

Originally Posted By: Rand

subaru extra MT

which is a 75w80 GL-5

It looks like this ia what is coming in the newer Subarus as a transmission/differential fill, probably for fuel economy reasons.

Some other searching has shown that Extra-S as everyone knew it may not exist anymore... There is now a version available in quarts from the dealer, and its from Idemitsu.

(not my image, but found with some googling http://i.imgur.com/slBdyI6.jpg?1 )

So I wonder how different this is from the "original" Extra-S?

Originally Posted By: Clarkbug
Originally Posted By: Rand

subaru extra MT

which is a 75w80 GL-5

It looks like this ia what is coming in the newer Subarus as a transmission/differential fill, probably for fuel economy reasons.

Some other searching has shown that Extra-S as everyone knew it may not exist anymore... There is now a version available in quarts from the dealer, and its from Idemitsu.

(not my image, but found with some googling http://i.imgur.com/slBdyI6.jpg?1 )

So I wonder how different this is from the "original" Extra-S?

Well for starters, Extra-S was made by Showa Shell Sekiyu and this new stuff is made by Idemitsu. Fred Beans Subaru is selling the new oil as Extra-S because they were advised by SoA that it is the same stuff but now sold in quarts. SoA has also responded to emails saying that it is the same. They're probably asking the same guy that says "5W-40 conventional" is ok to use for replenishment.
grin2.gif

I sent an inquiry to Idemitsu, but they haven't responded yet.

-Dennis

^ haaaaa yeah most likely.

It's most likely similar in composition just made by a different blender that's all.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

They're probably asking the same guy that says "5W-40 conventional" is ok to use for replenishment.
grin2.gif

I sent an inquiry to Idemitsu, but they haven't responded yet.

-Dennis

HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yea the whole 5w40 conventional thing.. hilarious.
crackmeup2.gif

the extra MT does seem to help cold shifting alot as well, hot shifting.. well as hot as I've gotten it(no track days or anything) is not notchy as well.

The rear diff is still 75w90. Possibly because there is ~1qt there, vs 4?qt in the transmission/ front diff.
I'm sure it also helps MPG esp. when cold.

75w90 gl-5 is also acceptable but may result in worse shift feel and lower mpg.

I dont know if there is any aftermarket replacement similar to extra mt being a thin GL-5

Being all aluminum I doubt its possibly to really overheat the MT/diff in normal driving or normal towing.

Last edited:
I'm still running the Extra-S and love it. 100k miles later and no issues with shifting with 30-40k mile tranny fluid changes. I have enough for one more change which should get me close to 150k miles before I need to search out an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back