Motor Trend Picks 2015 Honda CR-V as SUV OTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah but I seem to recall a civic being completely redone after a year on the market because it was so poor/poorly received.

2012, I think. I never drove one, but my girlfriend did and liked our 2009 much better.

As for the CR-V, we might have bought one instead of the Forester if she hadn't felt car-sick in the passenger seat after a while. The AWD isn't as good, the visibility isn't as good, but the amenities were better. The new drivetrain should have improved on the old one, too.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
My 2014 Outback's CVT doesn't make the "fake" shifts that Motor Trend refers to.

Pretty sure it's new programming for the 2015. People complained that they didn't like the CVT feel, so manufacturers have switched to faking gears, and now people complain that it's faking gears rather that driving like a real CVT.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's been three years since Honda did anything significant with the CR-V. 2012 was the start of the 4th generation, and the 2015 is its mid-cycle facelift.

I'm sure there were some odds-and-ends changes for 2014 (like the addition of new colors), but 2014 is not a one-year-only design.

Yeah but I seem to recall a civic being completely redone after a year on the market because it was so poor/poorly received.

This is getting OT - but my friend's 2012 Civic, which was one of the "bad ones," has over 55,000 miles on it with zero repairs or issues. Just regular service, and still has the original tires and brakes with lots of life left. It's very common for first-year cars to have recalls or voluntary product updates, but this one has been flawless.

I'd like to know more about the AWD system, which historically has not been great in this car at all. Honda sounds like they are playing catch up these days. Not impressed. Subaru and the Mazda CX5 are better values IMO.

True, but the Civic and CR-V are different vehicles; the generational schedule of one doesn't influence the other.

The 4th generation of the CR-V came out in 2012 and the 2015 is its mid-cycle refresh. There was a previous post about the 2014 being a red-headed stepchild because it'll be a one-year-only model and that's not the case at all.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'd like to know more about the AWD system, which historically has not been great in this car at all. Honda sounds like they are playing catch up these days.

The CR-V's AWD system has always been pretty good. The 2012 model introduced an electronically-controlled unit to replace the mechanical fluid pressure-driven unit that was used prior. Reliability has been excellent and it makes the CR-V a lot of fun to drive in the snow.

I wouldn't say that the CR-V is catching up to anybody...except possibly for the Ford Escape. The CR-V has long been a best-seller in this segment, with recent competition from the current generation Escape, also an extremely good vehicle. I've driven a CX-5, and it's nice, too. I didn't care for a number of things about it, but you do get a lot for your money. I haven't driven a Forester, though I'd like to. I like the Outback, which is about the only "station wagon" that fits me. I prefer the more upright seating position (and additional headroom) of a CUV, which is typically taller than most cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back